Good Old Reviews: King Of Dragon Pass

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Good Old Reviews: King Of Dragon Pass

Despite its age, the fantasy kingdom management game King of Dragon Pass has held up remarkably well.

The King of Dragon Pass was originally released in 1999, but it's aged quite well as these things go, thanks in large part to its relatively static nature. Animation and visual effects are virtually non-existent; instead, the eye candy comes by way of outstanding "hand painted" art, which in spite of its relatively low resolution and color palette is still very easy on the eyes.

In a similar vein, the gameplay, while obviously dated, remains accessible and enjoyable. As the leader of a pseudo-barbarian clan forced to resettle in the dangerous, magical Dragon Pass, you must lead your people to prosperity by guiding virtually every aspect of their lives, from recruiting farmers and soldiers to building fortifications, sending trade delegations, sacrificing to the gods, launching and defending against raids and much more. The game unfolds over many years, each divided into seasons that not only represent "turns," but also have a meaningful impact on the game: In the Sea season, for instance, crops are being planted and farmers may refuse to report for military action, while Fire season, when the weather is fair and the crops need little attention, actually provides a boost to morale during raids.

[gallery=1840]

But it's the random events that really bring King of Dragon Pass to life. Problems of all kinds pop up, and as the man on the throne it's your job to straighten them out. One of your weaponthanes was insulted by another clan; do you dismiss his complaints, go to war or find some other way to balance the scales? A band of fearsome warriors seeks your aid in a hunt for roaming undead; can you spare any of your meager forces? A maiden betrothed to a hothead from another clan is caught in flagrante delicto with a local scoundrel and seducer, and yes, that too becomes your mess to clean up. Even when the decisions seem easy, the choices you make can have long-term consequences, such as when a warrior from another clan recognizes your trade emissary as a brave fighter from many seasons past - or when the now-married maiden is brought before you by her very angry husband, "puffed up" with the seed of another man.

There's an impressive depth to the fiction of King of Dragon Pass, with an entire, surprisingly meaty section devoted to the myths, history and culture of the game world, but while it does tie in with the gameplay, it's not necessary to dig that deeply into it in order to have success. Nor does it place great demands on your time; a full game can take many hours to complete but you can play for as little or as long as you like in a session and save at any time, in any state.

Strategy games often tend to hold up better to the ravages of time than other genres, and King of Dragon Pass is no exception. It's currently available for $5.99 on GOG [http://www.gog.com/game/king_of_dragon_pass] in a package that includes wallpaper-style artwork and a very strong soundtrack. If you're in the mood for some accessible gaming that challenges your brain instead of your reflexes, it's not a bad way to spend six bucks.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Good review for a great game.

I picked this up when it was released on GOG because it sounded like such an interesting title. Normally I just can't get into older games unless I have a strong heap of nostalgia to go with it, but this one holds up remarkably well, and stands as one of the few titles more than a decade old that I can get into blind anymore.

In fact, I liked it so much I nabbed it for a friend as well, so we could share stories of conquering duck-people, or facing the curse of a mystical fox.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
That this game didn't spawn sequels or a new genre full of imitators is...one of the reasons i cant sleep at night :(

Maybe it's the nostalgia goggles blurring me, but still think of it as one of my overall "best games evar".

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
There's an impressive depth to the fiction of King of Dragon Pass, with an entire, surprisingly meaty section devoted to the myths, history and culture of the game world, but while it does tie in with the gameplay, it's not necessary to dig that deeply into it in order to have success.
At times, it can actually be near-essential. (And if that scares away some potential players, I'm afraid it probably should. KoDP is to Rebuild what Civilization IV is to Civ Rev, and probably one of the most complex gaming experiences available. While just making choices and achieve progress in the game is easier than in most sophisticated strategy titles, actually *understanding* those choices is among the most challenging analyses of game mechanics there is. And delightfully, the devs are still keeping quiet about some of the behind-the-scenes mechanics, even after all this time...)

Any fans of KoDP that happen to own an iOS device should check out the App Store release. It is actually expanded, with new scenes and even more user-friendly interface, and is among the best strategic gaming experiences of any platform.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
This game deserves more love, it makes you feel so comfy when playing it.

Just remember, if you do want to give it a crack...don't upset the ducks. You'll be sorry.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Ayjona said:
At times, it can actually be near-essential. (And if that scares away some potential players, I'm afraid it probably should. KoDP is to Rebuild what Civilization IV is to Civ Rev, and probably one of the most complex gaming experiences available. While just making choices and achieve progress in the game is easier than in most sophisticated strategy titles, actually *understanding* those choices is among the most challenging analyses of game mechanics there is. And delightfully, the devs are still keeping quiet about some of the behind-the-scenes mechanics, even after all this time...)

Any fans of KoDP that happen to own an iOS device should check out the App Store release. It is actually expanded, with new scenes and even more user-friendly interface, and is among the best strategic gaming experiences of any platform.
The reason why KoDP works is because of the depth of lore in the games. This is not surprising because the the lore was started in 1975 for the board game white bear and red moon and then was the start point for the pen paper role playing game Rune Quest. The game itself was based on the orlanthi clan generation system from one of the innumerable rules sets that have come out over the last 35 years.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
It's also on the ios app-store and it suits that format beautifully.

Sushewakka

Jul 4, 2011
Frankster said:
That this game didn't spawn sequels or a new genre full of imitators is...one of the reasons i cant sleep at night :(
Crusader Kings II is that way.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Sushewakka said:
Crusader Kings II is that way.
As much as I love ck2 and paradox games in general...No it really isn't, kodp is still very much unique even now.

The closest kind of game to king of dragon pass i can think off was the failed kickstarter by the dudes who made academagia...