Good Old Reviews: SimCity 2000

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Good Old Reviews: SimCity 2000

SimCity might have disappointed in 2013 but in 1994 it was at the top of its game.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
My experience with SimCity 2,000 was short and quizzical. I bought the game at a middle-school (or elementary?) book fair. When I got home I tried to install it and, to my surprise, the CD was empty... blank...

Returned the disc the next day (the librarians confirmed it was blank) and ended up buying a book that let me see the insides of castles and how they worked (via illustrated cutaways).

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I just realized something about this game.

The transportation advisor might as well be the patron saint of Internet fuckwads and their knee-jerk reactions - Cut back his budget just by 1%, and he'll throw a fit of rage and strike back with a vengeance greater than the gods. He was there first, before the Internet even accepted the HTML protocol as the standard...

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
I still think SimCity 2000 is the best game of the series. Only complaint: if you ever took out a loan (or started in the hardest mode), you could very easily fall into an inescapable black hole of debt with no choice but to start a new game.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
I once created the perfect city. everyone was happy, no crime, industrial, commercial, and residential were all at max. Every single tile of land was used. I set the taxes to the lowest it could possibly be because I didn't need to spend money anymore.(made like $2 a year) Just turned off disasters and let it run. I have never again achieved such a thing in all my other attempts.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Simcity 4 with the Rush Hour expansion pack is where it's at.
There are some stupid features in SC4 like the driving minigames and the link with the sims, but those are entirely optional and the rest was better than ever before. There's no point in going all the way back to SC 2000.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
Dr.Awkward said:
I just realized something about this game.

The transportation advisor might as well be the patron saint of Internet fuckwads and their knee-jerk reactions - Cut back his budget just by 1%, and he'll throw a fit of rage and strike back with a vengeance greater than the gods. He was there first, before the Internet even accepted the HTML protocol as the standard...
Maybe that's what happened to the latest SimCity. EA cut their Maxis division's funding and well... they probably still regret it.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Sim City 2000 is still a fantastic game, I dig out out every now and then. I really liked the way the manual came filled with essays on the concept of a 'city' and generally provided a basic treatise on urban planning.

If I had to dock points for it, it would be for having a fairly bland transport model where only roads and subways are really viable.

praetor_alpha

LOL, Canada!
Mar 4, 2010
I have no idea how many thousands of hours of my childhood belongs to this game. It got weird when my dad referred to it when trying to explain civil engineering to someone. I tried SimCity 4 a few years later, but it was too complicated.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
I never liked the exploding power plants. I usually started off by building a gigantic water-covered mountain in a corner of the map to be gradually filled with indestructible hydro dams. Whee!

The biggest flaw was a technological one: there was a limit on the number of "microsimulators" the engine could accommodate, so as soon as you built too many police stations or whatnot, some buildings would lose their special properties ? including the "arcologies" and their vast population numbers!

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
So here I was, reading the review of a pleasant game of my youth, reveling in my nostalgia. Then I reached the end of the first page, clicked next and WHAT THE BLEEDING HELL IS THIS NIGHTMARISH PICTURE?! Why is it there? Have I misclicked something? Is it a screamer (I turned off the sound)? Am I going to die in seven days?