Goodbye Deponia Review - Rufus Cubed

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Goodbye Deponia Review - Rufus Cubed

Huzzah! (Pretty) good things come in threes!

Read Full Article

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I haven't particularly liked anything by Daedelic since the first Edna & Harvey, which was just wonderful. They are a talented company and obviously try extremely hard but I think they need to just go all out and stop trying to appeal to a wider audience. The E&H sequel suffered the same problem and so does Deponia. Good games not quite making it into "great" territory.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
The original Deponia was really quite good, but my hopes that the series would tighten up as it progressed went unfulfilled. And of course, since we're talking about comedy and adventure games, YMMV, but to me it felt like a four or five hour game that had been stretched into 12 or 15 - or, perhaps more accurately, a single game padded out into a trilogy. Take the whole thing and compress it into a single, rapid-fire adventure (a gross oversimplification, but you get the idea) and you'd have an absolute must-play experience. As it is, there are some very memorable moments, broken up by an awful lot of immediately forgettable filler.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Ok, what the heck is YMMV supposed to mean, because i sure can't figure it out.
I didn't finish the game, but right now i love it. I am just after the first "dark" scene, which i am sure you will know what i mean. And it's really fun. And the humor making fun of Rufus doing something pretty awefull has been there since the very beginning of the series(*cough* coffee *cough*), so if you can't laugh about that sort of stuff, why are you playing this game.
Up until now, it's a blast. I haven't laughed that much about anything in a pretty long time and even if the game ended right now, it would have been worth the price.
Then again i am playing it in german, it's original language, so maybe things are just funnier in german, who knows.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Eh, I really liked it. Not exactly as a comedy but a kind story with some funny parts. Except for the ending...

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Amaror said:
Then again i am playing it in german, it's original language, so maybe things are just funnier in german, who knows.
People have said similar things about the previous versions and I'm sure there's some merit to it (It came up in Harvey's New Eyes, too.) And I did honestly love some of the gags in the game. But it was too uneven, the pacing lagged, and there was too much time spent just drifting, without any clear sense of purpose or direction. And the ending really did not work for me at all. Redemption is good, but it was absolutely the wrong kind of ending for a slapstick comedy adventure.

Now, if all you want is a heapin' helpin' of obtuse puzzle-based adventuring without too much concern about plot, dialog, etc., then it's great. There's certainly plenty to do. But the aspects that make it memorable - characters, dialog, comedy - just don't shine through like they did in the first chapter.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Could I get a status update on Rufus? How bad is he in this game?

The first game he was a lovable egotistical scamp with a bit of an insane cartoon violence streak, but in COD... oh my... I fumed for hours after finishing that game. It was just so grating on the humour bone and boundaries of good taste, not to mention being utterly pointless in it's entirety and an almost 100% character regression to beyond the deepest levels the character sank to in the first game where he got himself into trouble accidentally but in the second one it was entirely his own stupid fault thus eliminating any and all sympathy.

Right now this is severe bargain bin material for me. I mean like <5$, maybe not even 2.50 because a game that has the potential to make me literally walk in circles flailing my arms to make weird gestures and muttering is really not worth more than that to me.

bobsickle

Apr 15, 2009
1337mokro said:
Basically Rufus is his typical endearingly selfish/idiotic self but as Andy Chalk above said he gets his redemption ending (Which I agree did not fit in the series)

Overall I enjoyed the game but it had of a bit of a non-ending much the same way as Mass Effect 3. Nothing is concluded, nothing turned out as planned and SPOILERS!!!!!!

The main character dies.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
bobsickle said:
1337mokro said:
Basically Rufus is his typical endearingly selfish/idiotic self but as Andy Chalk above said he gets his redemption ending (Which I agree did not fit in the series)

Overall I enjoyed the game but it had of a bit of a non-ending much the same way as Mass Effect 3. Nothing is concluded, nothing turned out as planned and SPOILERS!!!!!!

The main character dies.
I wouldn't call him endearing. In the first game yes, second game no. Annoyingly undermining the player would be a more apt discription.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
1337mokro said:
Definitely closer to his behaviour in the second game than the first, and the fact that there often seems to be no motivation for his bad behaviour can make it all the more jarring. It's symptomatic of the overall lack of focus; there should be some clear indication as to whether Rufus is clueless and unlucky or just mean-spirited, but there really isn't, and his actions (particularly at the end) are all over the map, for no apparent reason.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
1337mokro said:
Definitely closer to his behaviour in the second game than the first, and the fact that there often seems to be no motivation for his bad behaviour can make it all the more jarring. It's symptomatic of the overall lack of focus; there should be some clear indication as to whether Rufus is clueless and unlucky or just mean-spirited, but there really isn't, and his actions (particularly at the end) are all over the map, for no apparent reason.
Thanks for the reply Andy, this means I will be skipping the third instalment. Not even bargain bin can convince me of picking this up now. Maybe a dollar price during the steam sales of the future but other than that it's got no chance of getting into my library.