Google Launches Online LEGO Builder Build With Chrome

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Google Launches Online LEGO Builder Build With Chrome

Google and LEGO have launched Build With Chrome, a virtual LEGO builder with location-based project browsing.

LEGO bricks are arguably among the most versatile toys ever made. Time and time again enterprising artists have demonstrated how, with enough time, patience and ingenuity, it's possible to build or recreate <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130486-The-Lord-of-the-Rings-Rivendell-Recreated-With-200-000-LEGO-Bricks>just about anything. That said, LEGO building also comes with some inconveniences. The teeny tiny bricks are hard to pick up, easy to lose and, if you have young children or especially stupid pets, often choking hazards. That in mind, a new virtual LEGO program has just been released that could potentially make pretend construction a lot more convenient.

The program in question, Build With Chrome, gives users a blank LEGO space along with a selection of virtual bricks, pieces and rudimentary tools that can be used to build pretty much whatever you can come up with. Where things get kind of interesting is with the program's mapping options that allow you publish your creation which can then viewed by others. It's worth noting, however, that that feature does require giving Google some personal information. Even so, it's a nifty little option that adds a bit extra to an already solid concept.

Building With Chrome is far from perfect. Its brick selection, for instance, is currently somewhat limited and, it also has has a few kinks minor that Google needs to work out of its system. That said, it's a free and fun diversion that's sure to entertain even the most cursory of LEGO fans. The fact that you won't step on any painfully misplaced pieces after a building session should be more than enough incentive to at least give it a try.

Source: The Consumerist

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Extremely limited brick library. Limited orientation as well so I can't do any fancy SNOT building. Still, it's free, I'll bite.

Edit: Bah, I just spent half an hour building a colorful monolith that surrounds an outhouse, only to have the program crash on me. Shame. Back to mah LDD Robots, then.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
If you're wanting a full Lego digital designer, try the Lego Digital Designer (by Lego)

http://ldd.lego.com/en-gb/

Go into extended mode and you have every piece that's ever been produced as far as I know, great for designing Mobile Frame Zero mechs

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It's worth noting, however, that that feature does require giving Google some personal information
So the NSA will be spying on our Lego houses as well as the real ones? Those cunning fiends!

I gave it a quick go and thought it was a bit dull, you have a limited selection of colours and they aren't particularly bright as one might expect from Lego. My dreams of making a giant rainbow Lego willy outside the Vatican are over :(

Alcom1

Jun 19, 2013
Megacherv said:
Go into extended mode and you have every piece that's ever been produced as far as I know, great for designing Mobile Frame Zero mechs
Nope. LDD is still missing many pieces, mostly retired and BIONICLE pieces.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While it is awesome and all but I am so impatience with it! It so much faster if I build it by hand!

Also in before some people make some inappropriate shape buildings.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Megacherv said:
If you're wanting a full Lego digital designer, try the Lego Digital Designer (by Lego)

http://ldd.lego.com/en-gb/

Yeah, have to agree here as well, you're better off making things with LDD. What is here is pretty much as limited as the first LEGO Creator (if you remember that game) except with no play mode, no hinge adjustments, and a library that's akin to 1979-1980 Lego Basic sets.

Not all of the legos ever made appear in LDD though; for one the old electric-based bricks don't show up (and for good reason), nor do some of the old-style tires. In fact, looking at some of the old discontinued bricks, a few of them would make a fantastic return if they were modernized a bit and made in the newer colors.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it seems to work fine in Firefox, but not in Chrome as it seems to have issues with the bricks showing up. Whoops!