Google Patents Heart-Shaped Hand Gesture for Taking Photos

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Google Patents Heart-Shaped Hand Gesture for Taking Photos

If Google implements its latest patent, Google Glass could allow users to take photos and 'like' objects by framing it with their hands.

Raise your hands together in the shape of a heart, and instantly share a photo of what you love with your friends. That's the idea behind Google's latest patent, granted today by the United States Patent and Trademark Office. The patent describes three hand gestures that could be used by Google Glass to generate an image from the user's field of view. Making a heart shape using two hands would prompt Glass to capture the area enclosed by the shape. Holding one hand in the shape of an L would capture a rectangular image, as if your finger and thumb formed the lower left corner of a picture frame. Larger rectangles would be captured by dragging the L-shape across the object in front of you, from top right to bottom left. Finally, the patent allows for simply drawing a closed-loop in your field of view with a single finger to create an image of whatever was in that loop.

These methods for taking images could complement Google's image searching app, Google Goggles. Google Goggles generates search results based on an image, like the Golden Gate Bridge or a famous painting. Available on both Android and iOS phones, recent updates have improved text recognition and added recommendations for similar products when used for shopping.

Of course, a patent only means that Google could implement this functionality for Glass at some time in the future. If they do, I predict we might end up seeing scores of inadvertent photos of hamburgers showing up on Google+. For now, those could only come from the Glass Explorers, the early adopters who earned the privilege of purchasing Glass and testing it in the wild through Google's #ifIhadglass contest. A retail date for Google Glass has not been announced.

Source: Engadget [http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-adv.htm&r=45&p=1&f=G&l=50&d=PTXT&S1=(20131015.PD.+AND+Google.ASNM.)&OS=ISD/20131015+AND+AN/Google&RS=(ISD/20131015+AND+AN/Google)].

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Google's really trying to get mobs of people to kick the asses of their customers dumb enough to buy google glass as a joke, right?

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
First thought: Taylor Swift will be taking photos of everything ever if this happens.

Second thought: I should listen to some more Taylor Swift.

Third thought: I'm going to get grilled for liking Taylor Swift.

Fourth thought: I don't care about that third thought.

Fifth thought: I really, really ... probably won't ever get one of the Google Glass things, so this doesn't affect me.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Glass Explorers, the early adopters who earned the privilege of purchasing Glass
I'm not sure how much of a privilege it is to have the honour of buying expensive luxury electronics that haven't been tested yet.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to patent giving someone the finger. You know, to allow non-idiots to make Google Glass self destruct!

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Can I patent the "two-finger salute" to people who try to patent things like that?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I will NEVER talk someone wearing something like this.

IF you think I'm not worth the time of day that you have to wear this crap, then screw you.

Same thing when people wear headphones or are half on their phone.

I'm not your dog, treat me with respect like a human being or piss off.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Patenting hand gestures... yep seems legit. They could patent the software that uses a variety of hand gestures to make pictures with this thing (meaning glass), but a gesture itself?

Can I patent breathing and sleeping?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Valderis said:
So we're patenting hand gestures now? *sigh*

Or is the title misleading and is the real patent for a piece of software/hardware that can detect hand gestures? In which case, doesn't the xbox's what-ya-ma-call-it already do that?

I don't know how this patent shit works, it worries me more that some have been patenting living creatures or DNA, now that is really messed up, this gesture thing is just silly by comparison.
There's still hope. The more invasive technology, the more you'll enjoy this patent system. As far I'm aware, this will only effect companies looking for a profit as copy left easily counteracts the patent system.

Nov 28, 2007
Valderis said:
So we're patenting hand gestures now? *sigh*

Or is the title misleading and is the real patent for a piece of software/hardware that can detect hand gestures? In which case, doesn't the xbox's what-ya-ma-call-it already do that?

I don't know how this patent shit works, it worries me more that some have been patenting living creatures or DNA, now that is really messed up, this gesture thing is just silly by comparison.
Looking at the actual patent, it seems that what is being patented is using the hand gestures to do something with a connected device, not the hand gestures themselves.