Google tries to trademark the word "glass"

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/36778/google-s-attempt-to-trademark-the-word-glass-hits-a-roadblock/index.html

"But the main objection was that the US federal law does not allow the trademark of generic terms."

As if King trying to trademark "candy" wasn't bad enough now Google wants to trademark "glass". I hope that like in King's case this blows up in their face. I mean come on, I'm drinking from a glass, I'm wearing glasses, they can kiss my glasshole. Can't trademark such a common word that applies to so many products.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Jesus tapdancing Christ. Could reality please stop being a parody of itself?

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Question is, just "glass", or also its translations to other languages? How about the alternate translation, seeing as how other languages might have two different words for two different things that are both called "glass" in English?

Honestly it's as if big internet players are trying to put people off.

I almost hope they'd have the request granted, so that then we could spam them, and internet with long messages consisting of nothing but the word "glass" repetitively, then be amused as they try to keep a hold on the trademark.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
Why? It's a word. YOU CAN'T COPYRIGHT A FUCKING WORD IN THE DICTIONARY. YOU DON'T OWN THIS GODDAMN WORD! Holy shit, it makes no sense.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Queen Michael said:
But where is the fun in that? If reality doesn't parody itself, what will? It's not like there are forms of fictional story telling which can be used to do so.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Fun Fact: Warner Bros. owns "happy birthday". Every time you sing happy birthday, you owe WB. $5,000 in copyright infringement and corporate damages. You fucking sicko; people get a roof over their head and food on the table because of that company; you can't just go around doing something like that.

It's, like, fragile, man. Fragile.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Vegosiux said:
Question is, just "glass", or also its translations to other languages? How about the alternate translation, seeing as how other languages might have two different words for two different things that are both called "glass" in English?

Honestly it's as if big internet players are trying to put people off.

I almost hope they'd have the request granted, so that then we could spam them, and internet with long messages consisting of nothing but the word "glass" repetitively, then be amused as they try to keep a hold on the trademark.
Got some glass in minecraft and made a bunch of glass panes for some big glass windows and maybe some colored glass for a glass roof. That's a lot of glass, let me drink from this glass before I make anymore glass in my furnace.

Totally made sense and would piss Google off immensely.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Why didn't they call it "Googlass" or something? That works as badly pronounced "goggles" as well.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
dylanmc12 said:
Fun Fact: Warner Bros. owns "happy birthday". Every time you sing happy birthday, you owe WB. $5,000 in copyright infringement and corporate damages. You fucking sicko; people get a roof over their head and food on the table because of that company; you can't just go around doing something like that.

This is also why restaurants always do some stupid "not-happy birthday" song for people. As if it wasn't bad enough to have a bunch of strangers sing to you horribly off-key while patrons gawk, they can't even give you the proper song to alleviate the humiliation just a smidgen.

The current copyright system is, to quote Angry Joe, "Broken! BRO-O-O-OKEN!"

Queen Michael said:
Brb, going to trademark "Jesus tapdancing Christ." I'll make a killing in the lucrative church vaudeville market.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
They'll find a way. Or simply rebuild the bruised egoes involved by imposing a new mid-life crisis project related to Google+ on the public. Maybe they will hold Facebook for ransom.

dylanmc12 said:

Long live Glorious Work Creators!

theboombody

Jan 2, 2014
Now we know who we should be afraid of. It's for reasons like this I wish the Tea Party and Occupy Wallstreet could co-exist and be non-partisan. That would probably be a powerful voice for populism against the elitists who have successfully divided the country to ensure their own positions of power. The elitists need to stop their obsessive desires now while they're ahead before they squeeze their subjects too tight and suffer major backlash that will truly threaten all the power they've struggled to build for themselves.

Of course, populism isn't the answer to everything and would end up creating problems of its own, but I can't think of any other way to stop the oligarchy of the controlling corporate and government elitists who have been robbing the country blind for decades. This isn't about republicans vs democrats. They're both big dogs just like Google. This is about little dogs vs big dogs. It's a sad situation really.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
This reminds me of when Apple tried to copyright the word "pod."

I'm just glad the patent office has more common sense than the rest of the government.

agent9

Dec 5, 2013
trademarking just glass should not be allowed. rather they should TM google glass. I understand the idea behind wanting to keep glass, they want to protect the integrity of their product while preventing more malicious knockoffs but simply glass... thats just rediculous.

VaporWare

Aug 1, 2013
thaluikhain said:
Why didn't they call it "Googlass" or something? That works as badly pronounced "goggles" as well.
Why not just go ahead and call them Googles? No need for glass, it's a term already closely associated with everything else they do. No need for more extraneous trademarks, and you can Google Googles on your Googles.

The ad campaign practically writes itself, and you don't alienate your customers by helping to turn language itself into a legalingual farce any more than we already have.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
VaporWare said:
thaluikhain said:
Why not just go ahead and call them Googles? No need for glass, it's a term already closely associated with everything else they do. No need for more extraneous trademarks, and you can Google Googles on your Googles.

The ad campaign practically writes itself, and you don't alienate your customers by helping to turn language itself into a legalingual farce any more than we already have.
Yeah, that's a much better name. Bit confusing when people already use the word for something, but at least it's not the Wii.

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
This trademark, not copyright. When you trademark a word you get ownership of the word as it related to the product and the industry you are in. E.g. Apple owns the word 'apple' as it applies to computers, phones, MP3 players, etc. Google's problem is not that they are trying to trademark the word glass and stop people from using the word glass from here to eternity, it's that they are trying to do it for a pair of glasses.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
I thought it was already trademarked in the UK when glass first became a verb.
As far as I was aware, 'glass' as a verb in the UK specifically refers to attacking someone by smashing a pint glass into their face. I've never heard it used with reference to Google, except perhaps in the sentence 'I feel like glassing the head of Google'.