Google Unveils Internet Service 100 Times Faster Than Broadband

neverarine

Nov 18, 2009
so a movie in minutes instead of days?

must be nice...

for those of you upset with your speed (like that australian fellow right above me...) try using interent thats maxes out at 80 kbps...

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
GZGoten said:
1 gig per second!!! 0__o faping just got easier
You have no idea.

Can't wait to tell my future children about the old days of dial-up...

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
To bad I live in Canada.

Service providers limit you to a set number of GB you can download a month, once you go over a single gig can cost up to 10 bucks EACH.

So it could literally cost a hundred bucks to use this for one minute here.

Marudas

Jul 8, 2010
Sigh.

Listen. I have 50 Megabits of downstream available to me. I have never been able to download at that speed. Ever. The fact of the matter is, anyone with the upload pipe to offer you, will have other traffic that taps into that pipe. Further than 25-35 Megabit upload, your only hope is in crowd source (Torrent) software to really tap your download speeds.

Most upload speeds are a fraction of download, you will never encounter a situation where a company is popular and financially well off enough to have enough upload pipe to dedicate it to one person. It's a gimmick.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
My city already has fiberglass cables laid to every home (for free). Does that mean I can get a discount? =D

I mean, all they have to do is pull the switch and I can has all the internetz right?

Snow Fire

Fluffy Neko Kemono
Jan 19, 2009
Force the US government and ISPs to upgrade our infrastructure, Google, if you went nationwide with this, at those speeds and prices, you would single handedly destroy every ISP out there. And... I would be ok with this, because I for one welcome our Google overlords.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Covarr said:
esperandote said:
not going to work until websites servers have it too.
Not true. The biggest benefit here is in the ability to download from multiple sources. Imagine being able to watch a 1080p YouTube video without waiting, and update a Steam game, and download a few torrents, all at once, all at high speeds. If individual hosts aren't keeping up, this still means no one website or download can bog down your internet.

P.S. Thanks
I do that with 100Mbit and still have bandwidth to spare.
It'd be very difficult to cap 1Gbit. Very difficult.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Hum... If I'm not mistaken some other companies are also offering fiber cable internet service. Assuming all fiber is relatively the same then all fiber services should be about the same speed. Of course having Google as your ISP would be interesting.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Jack and Calumon said:
I hear people cry out that 700 kb/s download speed is slow, so imagine how I feel with 200kb/s! How about you throw it over here? I'm sure you can get your deposit easily, kids would give their pocket money for this around here to make sure they can watching their dramatic chipmunks and sneezing pandas. Come on! We're probably worse off than those in Kansas City, so why don't we...
Irridium said:
I'm barely pushing 80 kb/s here,
My hat goes over my heart for you, you brave individual. Give this man some fiber.

Calumon: ...Ewwwwww
How about some Google Fiber?

It's not just fiber, it's Google Fiber!

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
What the shit.

I live in downtown fucking google country, and I don't get this shit first?

What.
The.
Shit.

Every bar I go to. Swarmed with google employees.

I want fibers. No one will give them to me.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I can't wait for this to spread further. I would kill for some decent internets and would pay for this myself if needed.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I've got fiber at about 2.5MB/s. It's fast enough. I can't imagine having gigabit speeds. Though I wouldn't argue the upgrade, because that Google Fiber is costing the exact same per month.

I do question how much Steam would be in my favor if I didn't have internet speeds this fast.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Forget this! FIX WHAT YOU HAVE FIRST! YOutube doesn't even work right, you lousy-

We apologize for the inconvenience, as this user has seen far too many so-called updates that cram more and more on top of an unstable foundation, leading to programs that are glitched at the core and never EVER fixed.
My father, who has done a lot of work for Google, defines their policy as this: get it functional, then move on.

Feb 22, 2009
Christ. I don't understand why the internet NEEDS to be this fast. I'd rather they prioritised getting good internet to everyone rather than getting RIDICULOUSLY good internet to a few.