Google Unveils Internet Service 100 Times Faster Than Broadband

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Google wants to get into the business of providing a better, faster internet, not just searching it.

No. Google wants to get into the business of abusing your privacy for profit, faster, and more direct!

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
ITT me and other ppl creaming their pants.

Also in other news.... Uber-piracy incoming..

Quicksilver_Phoenix

Apr 14, 2009
GenGenners said:
I'm disturbed that the article never even entertains the idea of it being anything other than an upgrade for the US.

I know Google can't fix every country, but the "America = Internet" vibe is lurking in the air here.

On that note, of every company in the world, Google is actually probably the company most able to fix every country in terms of infrastructure. So come on Google, BRING IT.

Of all the companies most likely to own the world in a dystopian future, I'll probably prefer Google the most, behind Valve.
Pretty much this, but softer.

It's much more important to get all first world countries up to a high quality, consistent internet speed before we go improving on that further. Heck, i've heard stories of even parts of the US itself having areas with poor speeds. Surely getting everyone better quality is a more just cause than making a few areas extremely good?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Forget this! FIX WHAT YOU HAVE FIRST! YOutube doesn't even work right, you lousy-

We apologize for the inconvenience, as this user has seen far too many so-called updates that cram more and more on top of an unstable foundation, leading to programs that are glitched at the core and never EVER fixed.

Sep 14, 2009
Covarr said:
It's worth noting that this is one gigabit per second. Vague terms like "gig" tend to make us think of gigabytes. This is only 1/8 of that, at ~128 Megabytes per second.

Mind you, that's still blazing fast. I have 100Mbit service and I'm damn jealous of these Kansas City folk.

P.S. Thanks
yepp, companies realize that and love throwing that around to try to act like they are one in the same. such a pain.

OT:

MERICAAAAAA FUCK YEAH!

/sarcasm

this is really cool, and i'm relatively close to KC, so hope they bring that here soon :D would be amazing to stream so many videos to fa-i mean..watch educational videos and play online solitaire at lightning speed!

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
...gigabyte or gigabit?

The article first said "gig" which suggests gigabyte... but then it explicitly says gigabit and mentions downloading an HD movie in a matter of minutes - which suggests gigabit, because they'd be saying seconds if it was gigabyte...

It's a huge improvement over pretty much anything but being directly connected to a T3 (T1? not sure, whatever) line either way... but if we are going to talk about that range, then the difference between 125 MB and a GB starts to become rather significant.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Silly Americans don't you know you can acieve the same thing with satellite or two and some cell towers? At least that is what Australian conservatives keep telling us with their opposition to our government funded country wide rollout of fiber. It is real shame that Australia will probably not get this service for decades now.

Feb 28, 2008
Am I alone in feeling that this would just be unnecessarily fast. I'm quite content with broadband, let alone fiber optic broadband, let alone whatever-Google-can-dream-up. There's nothing I want that requires that much speed.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Over 1 Year Later [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108873-Google-Building-Ultra-Highspeed-Internet-Line-in-Kansas-City] it has finally come to fruition i see.

Still y Kansas City?

Also when is this coming to NYC :p I'm tired of the BS service i'm getting with TWC.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
My company is installing fiber in Minneapolis right now with the same speeds. It will be nice if google joins us and helps us kick out comcast.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
octafish said:
Silly Americans don't you know you can acieve the same thing with satellite or two and some cell towers? At least that is what Australian conservatives keep telling us with their opposition to our government funded country wide rollout of fiber. It is real shame that Australia will probably not get this service for decades now.
The people who say things like that are probably the same type of people that thought SOPA could work...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
esperandote said:
not going to work until websites servers have it too.
Not true. The biggest benefit here is in the ability to download from multiple sources. Imagine being able to watch a 1080p YouTube video without waiting, and update a Steam game, and download a few torrents, all at once, all at high speeds. If individual hosts aren't keeping up, this still means no one website or download can bog down your internet.

P.S. Thanks

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Any chance of getting this in Southern Ireland?
200-70 KB/S is killing me, i have to download a game over the span of two nights

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
not shown: servers actually willing to let you suck up all their upload bandwidth.
so yeah..............torrenting could be a lot faster, but in most cases the bottleneck doesn't seem to be the client's connection speed here o_O
esperandote said:
not going to work until websites servers have it too.
oh you wish, but it's actually even worse: most server's connection speed is based on their processing power and how many connections they can redirect/let through, so even with better cables it still won't be enough.
(see: DDOS attacks don't work because they clogg bandwidth)
[^ that's only the case for multiple files, of course. single file DLs could use better cables and it would work]

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
the doom cannon said:
1 gig/s is quite fast. But saying fiber is new is kinda false information. Fiber has been around for ages now. I remember when Verizon laid fiber in front of my house in like 2002, which was 3 years before they even launched fios. Also, a 1 Gb/s connection will probably net you about 150 Mb/s downloads max. At that point, it depends on how fast the uploader is. If they're not on google fiber then you will still only get 5 Mb/s or whatever their speed is.

That being said, this is pretty cool
Pretty close. 1 gigabit = 128 megabytes.

To avoid confusion when using bits and bytes, be sure to capitalize the B when referring to bytes. This, 1 Gb/s = 128 MB/s.

the doom cannon

Jun 28, 2012
evilneko said:
the doom cannon said:
1 gig/s is quite fast. But saying fiber is new is kinda false information. Fiber has been around for ages now. I remember when Verizon laid fiber in front of my house in like 2002, which was 3 years before they even launched fios. Also, a 1 Gb/s connection will probably net you about 150 Mb/s downloads max. At that point, it depends on how fast the uploader is. If they're not on google fiber then you will still only get 5 Mb/s or whatever their speed is.

That being said, this is pretty cool
Pretty close. 1 gigabit = 128 megabytes.

To avoid confusion when using bits and bytes, be sure to capitalize the B when referring to bytes. This, 1 Gb/s = 128 MB/s.
totally meant that XD. thanks for the clarification

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
So continues Googles dogged march to secure brand recognition and control over the internet. While I appreciate google forcing the industry to get their ass in gear. Higher speeds would be nice... but it needs to come from an actual company. Not an organization built on buying competition and pushing out inferior products as revolutionary.