Google, Yahoo, Facebook and Twitter threaten to go offline over SOPA.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
this is a great idea.

why wait? i say let them have it sooner rather then later. sooner people see what this thing will do in real terms, the better.

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
Well it will suck to have My favorite Search Engine and My Facebook Down for a day but I see why they would do that. Hopefully it will send a Message to the Idiots in Congress " DON'T REGULATE THE INTERNET!" or... "Mess with our jobs and we will bring revenue down which means less tax you can tax from us"... makes sense i think..?

Fumofu

Nov 11, 2010
Really hope this happens although I hope they input that anonymous proposal of replacing their sites with SOPA protest pages.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Miles000 said:
If just Facebook took down their site, and replaced it with a message...

"This is what will happen is SOPA passes!"

Then instantly we have every Facebooker against it.
That act alone will cause an uproar.
Our 'vocal minority' suddenly becomes a huge force to be reckoned with.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that a complete shut down of the major internet sites is EXACTLY what will happen under SOPA. You're so right!

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
manic_depressive13 said:
A few people are intent on seeing this through rose tinted glasses. Google and co. ain't standing up for the little guy, they're standing up for themselves. It would certainly be interesting to watch. Hope it happens.
"Google and co." are the little guy. Thousands and thousands of little guys. Corporations aren't run by a single money-for-fuel burning robot, Google is 31,000 people. People who need to eat.

Astiahl

May 2, 2011
Heard about this yesterday, and personally I think this needs to happen. But a day won't do it, a week may be overkill (if still effective). Either way I think it's a good idea, this is one of the few situations where stirring up the hornets nest is the best solution. Our governmental system does not listen to reason. If it did it wouldn't be in the state it is now...sometimes the only way to get an important point across is a with sledgehammer to the groin.

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Miles000 said:

So true, my brother will go bat-shit crazy because he's addicted to it. Unlike me that is.

By the way, love your Berry punch "shufflin" icon. I can actually here the music.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
If those sites were to go down for just an hour people would start to panic. To shut them down for a whole day would send a clear message to people around the world. While there will be extremely few people happy about it if/when it happens, it still should happen. When these sites feel that SOPA is becoming enough of a threat to warrant shut down, they definitely should send out a notice of some kind saying that people should expect something like a full day shutdown to occur within a certain time frame if only to try and minimize any disasters that might happen.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Braedan said:
manic_depressive13 said:
A few people are intent on seeing this through rose tinted glasses. Google and co. ain't standing up for the little guy, they're standing up for themselves. It would certainly be interesting to watch. Hope it happens.
"Google and co." are the little guy. Thousands and thousands of little guys. Corporations aren't run by a single money-for-fuel burning robot, Google is 31,000 people. People who need to eat.
That's a pretty ridiculous definition of 'little guy'. With that kind of logic pretty much everything is the 'little guy'. And even trying to use that kind of definition, who do you think is making the decision? All 31k people, or just a few of them?
Well almost everyone IS a "little guy". Of course the small percentage of the company that is wealthy doesn't want SOPA to pass. So does the rest of the company. Generally it doesn't matter how much money someone tries to take from you, if they're taking money and you can fight back, you will. Who came up with the idea is irrelevant if they all support it, and I'm pretty sure a large portion of the employees are interested in staying employees.

And of course management is making the decisions, that's the point of management.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
roostuf said:
Miles000 said:

So true, my brother will go bat-shit crazy because he's addicted to it. Unlike me that is.

By the way, love your Berry punch "shufflin" icon. I can actually here the music.
I can just imagine all the chaos. I know a lot of people who depend on Facebook.
I'll just sit there and laugh at them all day.

As long as I still have reddit >_>

[sub]And thanks.
I love when it is in time to other music too :D[/sub]

JLML

Feb 18, 2010
Yea, let's not forget about the chain reaction people. As someone who's been studying media for a few years, I can tell you with certainty that anyone who knows at least 1 person who uses the internet on a daily basis WILL be enlightened about this. EVERYONE. And their grandma. And her cat. (it's one of the basics of information spread. Well, I may exaggerate just a tiny bit, but whatever.) 'Cause let's face it, if Google (and, by extent, also YouTube) went down, what would be the first thing you notice? Everyone who uses Facebook would post an update about it. Now, what if Facebook also goes down? Yea, the day after, in school and at work, there wouldn't be anything else that people spoke of. Heck, they'd be too busy discussing that to actually do what they're supposed to do. THAT is the impact this would have.

Personally, I'd bloody well PAY them to do it. Seriously. It would be worth it, just to see the effect it would have on everyday society. Heck, I can imagine some companies, hell, even some entire businesses, would basically go down as well, since they can't go about with their day to day work without those sites.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I think they should do it for a period of time longer than a day. Shut them all down, and don't put them back up for even a second until both SOPA and PIPA are thrown out.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Like the "Drop GoDaddy.com on december(27th?) day" I think there should be a day of "This is what the internet will be like if SOPA passes day" in which all non-sopa supporters just shut down for 24hours. I've seen some websites go down for a day for this very reason but I can't believe they made too much of an impact, especially when said sites weren't that well known.

This in general just needs to happen though, as I for one cannot believe another way to piss people off/wake them up to realize how dangerous this bill is.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
This needs to happen... not nearly enough people know about SOPA and what it'll do...

Is Stopping Our Petty Actions really that important American government??? Is it???

jimbob123432

Apr 8, 2011
I would actually LOVE to see this. I really hope they do a blackout and just replace their page with an info page listing what SOPA will do. I also like the point brought up in the video about "legalized bribery". Corruption at it's best...

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
ThatLankyBastard said:
This needs to happen... not nearly enough people know about SOPA and what it'll do...

Is Stopping Our Petty Actions really that important American government??? Is it???
Obviously it can't just be a white screen, those webpages would likely have some sort of explanation as to why they are doing what they are doing, otherwise you would just get a bunch of people pissed off at the sites themselves instead of those who actually deserve our anger.