Google's "Developer Advocate" to Work With Gaming Companies

Austin MacKenzie

Jan 26, 2010
Google's "Developer Advocate" to Work With Gaming Companies

Google is hoping to expand its reach in the gaming world, and it has hired longtime game consultant and writer Mark DeLoura to help.

DeLoura, who in addition to game consulting sits on the board of the International Game Developers Association and the OneBigGame charity, will be filling the newly created "Developer Advocate" position. This position is specifically geared toward gaming, and also governs a number of Google-based gaming platforms like the Google Android.

"I personally feel that Google hiring someone specifically to focus on games is a signal from the company that they recognize the growing importance of games as a medium," DeLoura said. "Now how do we make it easier for developers to express themselves and share the experiences they create?"

DeLoura said the position will allow him to work with traditional developers and help them adapt to new platforms such as mobile devices and social networking. He also mentioned that Google is working on platforms that can benefit everyone, game designers included.

Having Google actively interested in the development of games could be a great boon for gamers and game developers. Whether it's development of original games or beneficial software, Google has a lot of resources to bring to the table.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27963/Industry_Tech_Veteran_Mark_DeLoura_Named_Developer_Advocate_For_Google.php>Gamasutra

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Trying to work out how to bring games to Chrome OS, perhaps? Although I can see him mainly focusing on Android. That said, this is Google: who knows what they get up to.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Google...hmmm could work
I could see them doing something new with developer and publisher relations? maybe
Google's (or Topeka? lol) the name, innovations the game(?)
we'll see maybe

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I think google should stick to doing what it does well. Telling me things...making games seems a little of a stretch

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Hopefully Google will develop good tools. The only downside I see here is the farming for information and the tailored advertising. More Evony ads, anyone? Anyone?

Arachnid

May 10, 2008
Since half my teammates are Developer Advocates (though not for games), I think it's safe to say that the position itself isn't newly created. :)