GOP Lawmaker faces criticism from Native American tribes for trying to derail Haaland nomination

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
A group of Native American tribes is rushing to the defense of Rep. Deb Haaland, D-N.M., President-elect Joe Biden’s pick for Interior secretary, and blasting a Republican lawmaker’s campaign to derail Haaland’s historic nomination as a slap in the face to his constituents.

Rep. Pete Stauber, R-Minn., the top Republican on the House’s subcommittee on Indigenous Peoples, has been asking fellow lawmakers to join him in urging Biden’s transition team to withdraw Haaland’s nomination. In a draft of a letter obtained by NBC News, Stauber cites Haaland’s support for the Green New Deal and opposition to oil and gas drilling on public lands.

“Nominating Representative Haaland is a direct threat to working men and women and a rejection of responsible development of America’s natural resources,” Stauber wrote in his letter, a copy of which he circulated to fellow House members asking them to add their names.

Now all five tribes in Stauber’s congressional district are accusing him of blindsiding them and appeasing big industrial interests at their expense.

“This historic nomination is more important to us and all of Indian country than any other Cabinet nomination in recent history,” leaders of the five tribes wrote in a letter dated Jan. 14 and reviewed by NBC News. “Your opposition to the first and only American Indian ever nominated to a Cabinet position is likely to reverberate across Indian country.”

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Of course, Haaland is one of Biden's few good picks, naturally she's going to be opposed for stupid reasons.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I think the Republicans can all agree that one of the biggest crises facing US politics at the moment is the massive overrepresentation of women and racial minorities in positions of power.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Republicans gonna repub I guess, like clockwork sunsets, reactionary metronomes. They're seriously going to have to hold on to their arses for even more reactionarying though...

Weird to see how the US has begun overtaken our shitty little Tory terf island on progressive directions by miles now. We are so fucked.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Republicans gonna repub I guess, like clockwork sunsets, reactionary metronomes. They're seriously going to have to hold on to their arses for even more reactionarying though...

Weird to see how the US has begun overtaken our shitty little Tory terf island on progressive directions by miles now. We are so fucked.
that's kind of terrifying, considering how fucking terrible it is here in the US currently. As to the article you linked. Cool, don't really care what the identity is of someone who's job is to simply manage health for the country. As long as they actually rely on scientific evidence, and critical thinking, and aren't some religious mouthpiece asshat, couldn't care less how they are who they are. Should have zero bearing given their job description.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
that's kind of terrifying, considering how fucking terrible it is here in the US currently. As to the article you linked. Cool, don't really care what the identity is of someone who's job is to simply manage health for the country. As long as they actually rely on scientific evidence, and critical thinking, and aren't some religious mouthpiece asshat, couldn't care less how they are who they are. Should have zero bearing given their job description.
True, I agree identity alone shouldn't be a factor. Though the hope is with her posited position there should be less obstacles and concerns for the future of trans access to appropriate healthcare, and the nature of such identity kinda almost garuntees a greater empathy for marginalised groups and lefty ideals. Nothing's a 100% of course, but the chances are higher at least.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
True, I agree identity alone shouldn't be a factor. Though the hope is with her posited position there should be less obstacles and concerns for the future of trans access to appropriate healthcare, and the nature of such identity kinda almost garuntees a greater empathy for marginalised groups and lefty ideals. Nothing's a 100% of course, but the chances are higher at least.
Sure, the HOPE is that it will open up doors, but the reality is that conservatives will use it as a sparking point for more hate, claiming some stupid shit like because the person is trans, they're going to start injecting kid's milk for schools with gay/trans juice or some such bullshit, to condition them to become trans/gay. All part of that Gay Agenda or whatnot. "If she can't even know what gender she is, how is she supposed to know what real medicine is?!" is going to be the kind of shit I would expect to hear from them. And it just makes me so tired.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Sure, the HOPE is that it will open up doors, but the reality is that conservatives will use it as a sparking point for more hate, claiming some stupid shit like because the person is trans, they're going to start injecting kid's milk for schools with gay/trans juice or some such bullshit, to condition them to become trans/gay. All part of that Gay Agenda or whatnot. "If she can't even know what gender she is, how is she supposed to know what real medicine is?!" is going to be the kind of shit I would expect to hear from them. And it just makes me so tired.
The sad reality is that's what they'll always do, it's what they've always done, it's the only platform they got...just keep attacking, and if there's nothing to attack, make up something to attack. Best to just stick the middle finger up to them and keep going forward, because providing any slack will only be used to further their own selfish ends, as it has done consistently. It's past time the left(TM) stopped being pushed into defense all the time and coordinate properly to navigate around their predictable bullshit instead of entertaining it and giving it room to propagate across the spectrum of political ignorance they've so happily fostered already.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA

If it makes you feel better, Levine is the health secretary who famously told hotels to close and then moved her mother into an upscale hotel, while simultaneously telling nursing homes to readmit covid patients.

So, ya know, the sleaze is still there regardless of identity.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Sounds about right. Ok, no, not entirely. I half expected there'd be an offhand comment in there about how those indigenous people should go back to their own country.

Also, anyone know what Lil Devil is up to? Bet she'd have things to say.

Reactions: BrawlMan