GOP picks new conference chair

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
The GOP recently ousted Liz Cheney from her position as the 3rd highest ranking member of the GOP and had to find a successor. It basically came down to two choices, Chip Roy and Elise Stefanik. Roy is a hard-right MAGA Texas Republican who's hard stuck on state's rights. Stefanik is a New York Republican who spends most of her time voting against the party, including on immigration.

To nobody's surprise, Chip Roy lost handily. Not because he's MAGA, but because his hard state's rights stance led him to opposing the Texas lawsuit against the other states after the election, because he rightly pointed out that it would set federal precedent in states dictating laws for other states while the centrist Stefanik just shut up about her stances and said "Trump Good", and thus got his endorsement, while Trump has called for Roy to be primaried.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
To nobody's surprise, Chip Roy lost handily. Not because he's MAGA, but because his hard state's rights stance led him to opposing the Texas lawsuit against the other states after the election, because he rightly pointed out that it would set federal precedent in states dictating laws for other states while the centrist Stefanik just shut up about her stances and said "Trump Good", and thus got his endorsement, while Trump has called for Roy to be primaried.
Trump’s total lack of any redeeming qualities whatsoever just rules so much sometimes.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Republicans have become the Cult of Trump, and I am perfectly okay with that, because when he inevitably crosses the line and does something horrible that even his apologists can't excuse, they will go down with him.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Republicans have become the Cult of Trump, and I am perfectly okay with that, because when he inevitably crosses the line and does something horrible that even his apologists can't excuse, they will go down with him.
I think you might be underestimating his apologists there.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Yeah, eventually he'll do something crazy like encourage an armed insurrection to overthrow an election and then we'll... Never mind.

OT: all I want is for Ted Cruz' wife to leave him. The idea of being a suck up to a man who spoke about my partner the way Trump talked about Ted's wife makes me sick to my stomach. Like I hate everything else about the GOP because they're vile but Ted Cruz trying to play the strong man while being a toady to someone who spoke about his wife that way just makes me angry in a very primal way. The modern GOP making me have to go say things like "fair play to Mitt Romney" is also making me mad.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Given the completely bullshit, unproveable, and literally magical shit that the majority of his worshippers already believed before he even showed up, there really isn't anything they can't ignore and handwave away. Just say "Jesus jesus, 'Murica, Freedom, Forefathers, Jobs" in front of anything, and they'll shovel that shit down their gullets like it was the finest of wines.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
OT: all I want is for Ted Cruz' wife to leave him. The idea of being a suck up to a man who spoke about my partner the way Trump talked about Ted's wife makes me sick to my stomach. Like I hate everything else about the GOP because they're vile but Ted Cruz trying to play the strong man while being a toady to someone who spoke about his wife that way just makes me angry in a very primal way. The modern GOP making me have to go say things like "fair play to Mitt Romney" is also making me mad.
The spouses of politicians tend to know how the game is played just as much as the politicians: they too can be scheming, ambitious, venal scumbags. That's a lot of why why they married one in the first place.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
The spouses of politicians tend to know how the game is played just as much as the politicians: they too can be scheming, ambitious, venal scumbags. That's a lot of why why they married one in the first place.
Fair, if she had any decency she wouldn't be married to Ted Cruz.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
You know for some odd reason when I read this thread title I thought it was in reference to an actual chair for a conference. Like the big news is they'd bought a new chair.

Reactions: deleted20220709

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
You know for some odd reason when I read this thread title I thought it was in reference to an actual chair for a conference. Like the big news is they'd bought a new chair.
Only the most wholesome and luxurious sitting and spinning for the Republican Conference.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Fair, if she had any decency she wouldn't be married to Ted Cruz.
I struggle to see why anyone would be attracted to Ted Cruz, outside the benefits of him being rich and powerful.

More so for the likes of Donald Trump. It must take a woman with a vast and steel-hearted dedication to winning a life of extreme luxury to hitch themselves to that wagon - but then, he's a great deal richer than Ted Cruz.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I struggle to see why anyone would be attracted to Ted Cruz, outside the benefits of him being rich and powerful.

More so for the likes of Donald Trump. It must take a woman with a vast and steel-hearted dedication to winning a life of extreme luxury to hitch themselves to that wagon - but then, he's a great deal richer than Ted Cruz.
Imagine a fuck, kill, marry with Cruz, Trump and McConnell

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Imagine a fuck, kill, marry with Cruz, Trump and McConnell
Marry: McConnell - Most obvious one. He's a despicable shitstain, but he's been one of the most powerful people in the country for decades at this point. Might as well ride the coattails there. Natural death being the soonest of the three helps as well.
Fuck: Cruz - Lack of other options. Not a turtle and not Trump, so yeah....
Kill: Trump - Duh.

AndrewEB

Oct 12, 2014
Country
Canada
At this rate, the only way for the GOP to actually get rid of Trump is if America ends up in a 2nd civil war.