Gordon Freeman in real life?!?!

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
anNIALLator post=9.71758.736041 said:
Somebody give that guy a crowbar!

The collider is in Sweden, near Geneva, not switzerland. Is it a large collider of hadrons, or a collider of large hadrons?
WRONG.
[http://img127.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lhcik3.png]
The red thing points out to where Geneva is and if you look at the upper right corner that's were Sweden is....
EDIT: more like the upper right middle actually...

Aeviv

Jun 13, 2008

The collider is in Sweden, near Geneva, not switzerland. Is it a large collider of hadrons, or a collider of large hadrons?
Geneva is in Switzerland you twit :p

And i havnt a clue as to wether its a collider of large hadrons or a large collider of hadrons

Unknower

Jun 4, 2008
If you can find a picture of a security guard who looks like Barney, we're doomed.

I don't get it why people mix up Sweden and Switzerland so often. I can understand mixing up Lithuania & Latvia (I'm not sure which one is which) and Slovenia & Slovakia but Sweden and Switzerland? They only share 2 same letters!

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
it is a Large Collider. It is very large. So large it crosses the French-Swiss border - presumably twice. The protons that it accelerates are not very large, infact are very, very small in comparison. So it's my bet that the 'large' refers to the collider itself.

Regardless of the scientific likely hood of any danger emerging from the LHC, the news that Gordon Freeman appears to have been co-opted into working on the project under the close supervision of none other than the G-man... well, I think I'll invest in a crowbar and some medi-packs.

Prepare for unexpected consequences...

H0ncho

Feb 4, 2008
Not to worry. Crowbar is on the way [http://www.redditall.com/2008/08/great-idea-reddit-crowbar-for-cernlhc.html].
If you think anything can possibly go wrong at CERN, they have been so nice that they put two webcameras online, one inside and one outside the parking lot [http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.html]. Just take a reassuring look if you're in doubt.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Awesome! Well, we're all doomed but if I survive I want to be a headcrab zombie!

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Quel0 post=9.71758.736045 said:
the 2nd picture looks like subtle photoshopping....

there's no danger to the large hadron collider... unless you expect the same astral radiation that we deal with every day to be dangerous.

how did that black hole rumor start anyway?
Media. A physicist said that there was a negligable chance of harmless, microscopic black holes being formed. Another scientist heard this and said that a black hole that could suck up the world could be created. The scientist in question was a botanist though... not that the newspaper would let that get in the way of a story.

GoblinOnFire

Jul 28, 2008

You know of Particle Accelerators and how they function, but not that Geneva is in Switzerland?

Do you know what the Bush Doctrine is?

metagaia

Random small pink blob
Jul 23, 2008
Indeed, it's easy to grasp the principle that a black whole will swallow stuff up and get bigger and bigger. It's much harder to get across the principle that black holes 'evaporate' and indeed most do.

Sp0ck_z0mbi3

Aug 19, 2008
Oh and I was worried, but If Gordon's there it should be alright.
CRAP!!1! Ma, get the shotty da combine be invadin'

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008

This 2nd picture is hilarious. The guy with glasses, in the white helmet on the right, looks like he's explaining Headcrabs to the other guys, judging by his hand gestures.

Also what's up with the guy on the far right? His helmet looks really odd, like it can't fit on his head properly. Maybe he already has a Headcrab growing under his helmet, or just an abnormally shaped head.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Jamash post=9.71758.736622 said:

This 2nd picture is hilarious. The guy with glasses, in the white helmet on the right, looks like he's explaining Headcrabs to the other guys, judging by his hand gestures.

Also what's up with the guy on the far right? His helmet looks really odd, like it can't fit on his head properly. Maybe he already has a Headcrab growing under his helmet, or just an abnormally shaped head.
The guy on the right's helmet is way too small. No way is that going to protect him from a headcrab attack.

GCM

Sep 2, 2008
Well, the resonance cascade WAS due to negligence.

Also, is it just me, or does Eli Vance look like a cross between Kofi Annan and Morgan Freeman? (Both who don't look all that different from each other in the first place).

Go on, wiki it. I'll wait right here.

The Blue Mongoose

Jul 12, 2008
Quel0 post=9.71758.736045 said:
the 2nd picture looks like subtle photoshopping....

there's no danger to the large hadron collider... unless you expect the same astral radiation that we deal with every day to be dangerous.

how did that black hole rumor start anyway?
stupid people... stupid people who think that physics = OH DEAR GOD MAGIC!