Gordon Freeman to Remain Mute

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gordon Freeman to Remain Mute

Valve boss Gabe Newell has made it clear that he thinks Gordon Freeman is fine the way he is.

In a world where action game protagonists are defined by the likes of Nathan Drake and Marcus Fenix; Half-Life's [http://www.amazon.com/Half-Life-Playstation-2/dp/B00005ME8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278692980&sr=1-1] Gordon Freeman is something of an anomaly. He never appears in cutscenes, never wisecracks, and indeed, never actually speaks at all.

When asked if future instalments of the series might see Freeman being brought more in line with the typical videogame hero and make him more than an arm with a crowbar, Valve's Gabe Newell shot the idea down pretty fast, saying: "We haven't had a reason to change that. Most of what I've seen to date has been gimmicky and is entertaining for just a minute or so."

The question of whether or not Freeman would speak was also raised, and what Newell had to say was interesting: "We're not philosophically opposed to this, but we don't have any good reasons to do it. Right now making your companions more interesting and compelling seems a more fruitful avenue to explore."

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=241221?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I am sorry to hear this...

Oh well, Gordon himself is a TERRIBLE character. No personality or anything...He is the worst kind of protagonist. A silent one who everyone in-game likes for no reason as though he used to talk to them and they developed a close friendship.

In a game world where every other character is so great, Valve could easily make Gordon speak...and have it fit.

Good, if over-rated, games, horrible main character. When a headcrab named Lamarr has more personality then the hero, you've got a shitty hero.

Maybe he should talk Saint's Row 1 style. Like, a single line at the end of every major landmark in the story.

[sarcasm]Also, if they did ever give him a voice, hire Nolan North.[sarcasm]

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
Oh well, your choice. When Alyx asked Gordon a question in that elevator, I thought it was pretty immersion-breaking when he didn't even say "I don't wanna talk now".

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
I'm fine with it, I've been fine with it for years.

Furburt said:
I am of the firm belief, that should he ever talk though, Paul from Loading Ready Run must voice him.
But this. I would be fine with this too.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
In a world where action game protagonists are defined by the likes of Nathan Drake and Marcvus Fenix; Half-Life's Gordon Freeman is something of an anomaly.
Who now? :p

I have to concur with Onyx on this one, I've never cared for Gordon as a protagonist.
It's a little hard to root for somebody with the personality of a bread crumb.

Can't say I support the decision to make him speak, especially not this late in the saga, but it's certainly a missed opportunity to make the character even better.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Nice of Gabe to admit that Freeman is nothing but an arm with a crowbar and that the other characters in the gameworld are much more interesting than he is.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Thats what makes him unique. The fact that he can pull of a whole series without one word. Not even a grunt of pain or jumping.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
In other news, yes, there is a sky above our heads.

Not surprised. I'd like to see him actually have a personality, but hey, their choice.

Rawker

Jun 24, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
When asked for a comment, Gordon Freeman declined to answer.
I see what ya did thar. I see it.

I'm glad, now they can continue making more Freeman's Minds. (I'd post a link to youtube, but I suck at youtube links, just have to look it up yourself.)

That, and he's merely a scientist. He's just been trying to make sure he doesn't die since getting out of Black Mesa, and even then he was just trying not to die. No one wants his opinion, and he doesn't wanna give it.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Good. I'd hate to have a "personality" shoehorned onto him like every other badly-voiced gaming character on the planet.

leonhart126

Jul 16, 2009
It's a good thing it gives you a sense of immersion within the character is if you are actually them, it makes your voice their voice.

Galad

Nov 4, 2009
Heh. If he were to start talking in a future game, Valve would have to be pretty careful not to enrage the fanboys that are used to him being mute ;)

muckinscavitch

Jul 27, 2009
Has anyone thought that perhaps he is an autistic savant? He is really smart and dealing with insane physics and such as his old job. And generally autistic people do not have strong communication skills.

Or maybe he is a mute and has always just been doing sign language.

Or maybe he is just fine the way he is and people should leave him alone.

Frequen-Z

Resident Batman fanatic.
Apr 22, 2009
Hey Gabe, you know what else might be a 'fruitful avenue to explore'? Releasing the fucking game.