Gorgeous Cel-Shaded Indie RPG Nearing $100K On Kickstarter

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Gorgeous Cel-Shaded Indie RPG Nearing $100K On Kickstarter

Ynnis Interactive's Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom features real-time combat, cel-shaded visuals and its own unique in-game language.

You know what the world needs? More JRPGS. Granted, there's not exactly a lack for them and I personally already have like four of the suckers queued up, but honestly, I've never thought you can have too much of good thing and as far as I'm concerned there's few things better than a finely made Japanese RPG.

Enter the folks at Ynnis Interacive. An indie studio based in France, it launched a <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438269196/shiness>Kickstarter campaign earlier this month aimed at raising cash to fund its Japanese-styled RPG Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom. Built with Unreal Engine, the game will feature dynamic real-time combat, cel-shaded visuals and even its own custom language devised by the developes. Ynnis hopes that these ingredients, all tied together by an great story will deliver "an epic journey into a huge universe that will stay with you for a longtime."

Toward that end, Ynnis is aiming to raise $100,000 to finish the game's development. It's a goal that looks very much within the studio's reach at this point. With ten days (as of this writing) left in its campaign, the project has received more than $90,000 in pledges. Honesty, at this point, I'd be surprised if it didn't make the last $10,000 before time runs out. Then again, it's not like Kickstarter projects don't fail every day of the week. In other words, if Shiness sounds at all like something you might be interested in, you may want to consider throwing a few dollars its way. If nothing else, you should at least watch the trailer and take a little time to marvel at how freaking nice this game looks. Sincerely, it's impressive stuff for an indie studio.

Source: <a href=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/438269196/shiness>Kickstarter

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
The game looks nice for sure but I'm worried that it will go into full furry territory at some point. I'll hold off on this one just in case.

Also, I always felt you shouldn't go for a made up language unless you're going to put the effort into making it sound like a legitimate language. This one just sounds like a poor mashup of Japanese and Korean. I swear I heard the word "&#39764;&#27861;" in there.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
THAT'S an indie game... my word, i'm not one to shizz all over AAA's but if thats their competition then game over man, GAME OVER!

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
I hate the consideration that an indie studio cannot create a visually impressive game, Triple A or indie has nothing to do with your visual skills. Yes the game looks nice, but it looks nice full stop, not "from an indie studio", it just looks nice.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Ugh if you want all the exclusive ingame DLC it's 250 dollar + tier and didn't see a mention at all of other games the team or people on the team worked for. Passing on spending anything to help fund it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I predict a lot of yiff, if not by the fanbase. There really is nothing wrong with having furry characters but you just know that its fuel for the fire

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Looks gorgeous but damn if the anthropomorphic character designs look too cartoony to me. The humans look okay but the others look like Sonic fanart. However, if the game and story itself are good I can get past that.

josemlopes said:
I predict a lot of yiff, if not by the fanbase. There really is nothing wrong with having furry characters but you just know that its fuel for the fire
VanQ said:
The game looks nice for sure but I'm worried that it will go into full furry territory at some point. I'll hold off on this one just in case.

Also, I always felt you shouldn't go for a made up language unless you're going to put the effort into making it sound like a legitimate language. This one just sounds like a poor mashup of Japanese and Korean. I swear I heard the word "&#39764;&#27861;" in there.
Yeah, that's a strong possibility as well too... oh well there has been far worse.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
josemlopes said:
i'm fairly sure anything you have ever seen has been fuel for the fire

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
For an indie game it looks pretty damn great. Not sure about the combat system, though. As for the graphics. I think the best example of cell-shading in games would be the Dragon Ball - Raging Blast series. That stuff looked amazing.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Had me at RPG... though nearly lost me at anime. The visuals (and obviously muted video) were enough to bring me back to paying attention. Hope it does well. Ill likely pick it up provided the developer ends up actually selling the game and doesnt keep it locked up behind a Steamwall

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
That's gorgeous... DO. WANT.

Some of the animations look kinda bit off, but that's just me being nitpicky :p

Also, I can't possibly be the only one noticing a bit of a resemblance to one of those characters with this one.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Yuck. Why animal-people? Why animal-people-are-the-good-guys-humans-are-the-bad-evil-guys?

Looks weird. It also clearly looks like its supposed to be Japanese but instead they just made up a language. Very strange choices! Could've just hired JPN voice actors.

deserteagleeye

Sep 8, 2010
The combat system looks similar to that used in the Naruto Ninja Storm games, or maybe Dragonball Z Tenkaichi.
The furry characters do make me feel uncomfortable even with all the pretty cell-shading. While everything may look good as a spectacle, I don't see this turning out to be a very good "game".

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
I second the above opinion. Haven't played the Ninja Storm games, but I do own Rise of a Ninja and The Broken Bond, and this game's combat reminds me very much of the combat system in those games, right down to the magical charge attacks and QTEs.
Doesn't look half bad, but I'm not fully sold. Could just be that the made-up language gets on my tits a bit. :\