Got any advice for a rookie Dungeon Master?

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Recently I bought the D&D 5th Edition Starter Set and Player Handbook and I'm currently running a campaign in the Forgotten Realms setting with my family (read: mom, dad and little brother, I still can't believe they all agreed to play this) who are also new to D&D and tabletop RPGs in general but ultimately had a lot of fun with my first adventure which involved going to a dungeon (technically it's a Drow city) and killing a dragon. I'm currently in the process of planning out the next adventure in the campaign which is pirate-themed high seas adventure, involving a party member being kidnapped by pirates and the rest of the party going on a rescue mission across the seven seas.

Now I already learned much from the first adventure I ran, like how you shouldn't give the party overpowered NPC allies, and how you shouldn't make the corridors of your dungeon too cramped for combat, and how you should probably give the players higher stakes and more personal involvement in the story than "here's a dragon that's posing a very vague threat to the realms, go kick his ass because you just so happened to be in town when he attacked", and also how you should give your players an appropriate level of challenge and not pit them against enemies that are clearly far too powerful for them (which necessitated the aforementioned overpowered NPCs), but I still feel as if I'm making rookie mistakes even though I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong.

So do you have any advice as to how I can be a better DM? I mean besides getting the other two core rule books I'll have those pretty soon.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Figure out what your players and you enjoy most about table top and pander to them/yourself. Seriously, as long as everyone is having fun no one will care about any mistakes you might make. I am a writer, so I like crafting complex stories that involve the PCs directly (usually I piggyback their backstories). My players really enjoy this kind of tabletop, so I put a big emphasis on roleplaying and storytelling. My players are also veterans of the system we use (Pathfinder), so I typically throw a lot of difficult encounters at them and only give them easy fights for fluff and/or to make their characters look like badasses.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
If the roll is extremely important, like it will kill people, roll the dice away from player sight, and then say whatever result you want. Don't do it too often, but it's perfectly fine to cheat if it makes a better story.

When in doubt, be kind to your players, rather than punish them overly so.

Rule 1: DM is always right. If there is a rule disagreement, just pick a result and discuss it after the game. Don't let the game get bogged down.

Make sure to focus on whoever is being quiet for a bit; let everyone get involved. Try to create a situation where each character has a moment to shine, so the thief is great at the locks and traps sections, the healer could pray for answers or heal a wounded soldier with info, etc, etc.

Make the non-combat skills as useful as the combat skills; you don't want a bunch of murderhobos wandering the halls of every dead crypt.

Start dropping hints of whoever the big bad is. Remember Season 1 of Sherlock, when they kept talking about Moriarty but we never saw him? Do that for a few sessions.

If the players manage to do something you didn't expect and kill the Big Bad, let them have it. Nothing is worse than when you do something clever and the GM stammers "Um, yeah, it wasn't him, but a clone, and he flees under a doorwar that you can't open to follow him".

Give them strange magic items. It doesn't always have to be swords and shields and shit; make it up. How about a stick which can increase in length near infinitely? Or a cup which will never run out of water? Or a bracelet which lets your hand move through objects? Or a tiara which allows you to see in the dark, but turns your eyes green? Strange stuff. Magic isn't just hitting stuff.

Regarding enemies, assume if they have similar stats to the PCs, then one per combat pc. If they are stronger, reduce that. If they are weaker, increase. Remember that combat doesn't always have to be balanced; teach your players that it is okay to run away and come back later, and if they're kicking arse, just have the enemies run and flee away from the dangerous group to get their bigger brother. If you want, simply say "Hey, guys, you can retreat, that is an option".

Rule of three; give them three clues to any puzzle, and three ways to do anything, because players aren't omniscient like the DM and so will miss things you think are obvious (and often get attached to some detail you mention off-hand); give them three clues to figure it out.

Railroading is not always bad; the trick is to not let them know it. If they want to walk left, but you need them to go right, swap the roads without telling them. They're happy for the freedom, you're happy because the story can continue.

Jan 12, 2012
The Jovian said:
Welcome to the hobby! Let's take care of the big problem I can see in your post.
I'm currently in the process of planning out the next adventure in the campaign which is pirate-themed high seas adventure, involving a party member being kidnapped by pirates and the rest of the party going on a rescue mission across the seven seas.
So Braddock the Fighter gets kidnapped, his party goes to rescue him... What is Braddock doing? Is he supposed to sit around in the brig off-screen while the rest of the table has fun chasing him? Is he going to get some stimulating conversation with his jailer about the ethics of piracy while the other players get to sail through storms, wrestle sea serpents and buckle some swashes? What if the character tries to break out? Are you going to slap them down with overwhelming numbers of pirates and throw them back into their cell? What if they try to fight to the death just so they have something exciting happen to them?

The captured friend is a strong traditional story hook, but it doesn't work particularly well in tabletop games because the climax of the story is the rescue, meaning that the player of the captured character has to spend 2-4 hours waiting for that moment (if things get wrapped up in one session). It's compounded by your choice of game and genre: D&D is a party-based combat-oriented game, meaning that an isolated character faces a much more difficult challenge than you might first think, as they have a narrow range of skills and a specific role during fights. As well, the party will have troubles of their own compensating for the missing person- they're already short-handed with 3 characters, taking one of those away pushes them into the "inadequate" category. In a similar vein, a 'high seas adventure' implies big setpieces and overblown character moments, which is a lot of fun. However, the Prisoner is not going to be able to do something that matches that tone, as they will be trying to find a place to hide on the ship (if they do escape) or just waiting in their cell. There's going to be a disconnect between the two groups of players, and the ones who are actively contributing to the story are going to have a lot more fun.

So with that in mind, here are two options that spring to my mind to improve the story:
1. Have The Prisoner Be An NPC You're right in assuming that 'Vague Dragon' is not a great threat. The key is making things personal. Look at the backstories of your PCs, see if there's anyone they care about (if they don't have them, which is not usual in new groups, ask them about it before or during the session: "Hey, what was the name of your friend from the Borderlands Keep, the one who used to tell all those bad jokes while you were on patrol?" "Doesn't your sister live in this town?" etc.). THERE is the seed of investment, which you can use to build a story. Don't just kidnap them right off the bat, though; that breeds "Street Orphan Murderhobos", players so scared that any connection they make will be exploited by the GM that they don't have any human interactions at all.

So think about this: The party goes to Waterdeep to sell some of the loot from that dragon's hoard and sniff out some new jobs. One of the players has a brother named Boris who runs a tavern in the inn and has volunteered to put them up for a few days.[footnote]A good trick for making NPCs seem real is to give them a defining motivation/characteristic that you can reference whenever they need to make a decision, and also to add some flavour to their actions. This works best if you combine a body part with an adjective or other short description. For Boris, the phrase is "Hands Full of Food"; he's a warm and caring person who loves taking care of other people and making sure that they're happy, and whenever he's not bringing out armloads of dishes for his customers and friends the big man is almost certainly enjoying a snack of his own.[/footnote] Over a meal of his famous spiced potatoes, served by his daughter Natasha (Shy Smile), Boris tells the party that there have been a number of kidnappings in the dock area over the past few months, and the city has offered a reward to anyone who can find out who is responsible. The PCs look into it and realise the attacks are following a pattern, moving across the city in a grid; Natasha here's the party talking about it and mentions that she saw the same mean-looking clam salesman in each district in the days before each kidnapping (who scouts the area for the criminals). Our heroes go and intercept the kidnappers, catching some of them in the act. They confess (to the PCs directly or the city watch) that they work for a human trafficking ring bringing subjects to Thay for experimentation, under the orders of a cruel elf woman with a sinister scar across her mouth who commands a pirate ship called the Red Mercy. They next day they go to City Hall to collect their reward and follow up with the hostage rescue being planned by the city, and when they return to Boris' tavern they find him lying by the broken door, bleeding from the scalp and moaning that they took Natasha right from his arms.

Now the PCs have a clear goal (rescue the hostages from the pirates), a way to accomplish that goal (join the Waterdeep vessel going to find the Red Mercy, though they may have their own ideas of how to find and beat the pirates which should be supported) and a good personal motivation for doing so. Everyone gets to take part in the high seas adventure.

2. Set the Prison Somewhere Else, And Talk To The Player In this scenario, you go ahead with the kidnapping idea. First things first, you talk to the player you want as the 'victim' and ask if they would be OK with their character being taken prisoner, knowing that it will put them at a disadvantage. If they aren't 100% behind the idea, abandon it; it's not worth making 1/3rd of your players unhappy.

You also restructure where and how they are being taken to allow that player more options. Maybe instead of a pirate vessel, they are taken to a slave mine where the overseers don't care what happens in The Pit, so long as the gold keeps coming up. The player meets some other prisoners and works with them on an escape plan while also dealing with the 'toughs' who prey on weaker prisoners, and the rest of the party races across the desert to help extricate the player and conveniently arrive just as the escape plan goes into action. Maybe the player's prison is actually a magic ship in a bottle, an extraplanar vessel that they crew with other prisoners and have to deal with all kinds of strange creatures while they sail for the Cork, hoping to break free, while the bottle is carried on a real pirate ship that the rest of the party is chasing. Heck, just a set of Sending Stones so they can communicate with the party and coordinate would be a big help. The PC is being put into a difficult situation, don't make them powerless to boot; give them the freedom of a big cage with plenty of other people to interact with in a variety of ways, from friends to rivals to enemies.

Illesdan

Sep 15, 2008
I'll be perfectly honest, if I only had 3-4 people that could play a tabletop game, I see Vampire:The Masquerade being a much more accommodating gaming system to smaller gaming groups than 5th edition D&D. 5th ed. is very brutal and unforgiving to small groups. We had to restart our 'Starter Campaign' because we only had 4 people to start, then one person didn't show up, and, long story short, my character was the only one to get away from the owlbear alive. Even with more people, when we went back through and finished it, we still failed because of sheer stupid dice rolls and bad luck.

I recommend not splitting up the PCs. The only time having a PC 'disappear' is acceptable is if that person can't game or actually WANTS to be gone from the group, so he can do things 'off-screen' from the other characters. Which is acceptable as long as gameplay isn't bogged down because of it.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
The Four C's

CHALLENGE
Make things hard. Not impossible, hard.

Throw curve balls. This spices up every part of the game. A great example would be any encounter with goblins. Normally these little pests are easily obliterated by a 3rd level party.....but they can have levels in PC classes! PCs won't think twice attacking a dozen goblins but they'll reassess their options in a hurry when the goblin leader not only fails to die after taking a solid hit but flies into barbarian rage and uses Improved Sunder to break the party fighter's weapon.

Challenge, however, should not mean simply throwing bigger enemies into the mix. A rooftop chase is incredibly cinematic and really lets a monk show off his acrobatic skills. An iron door rusted shut gives the barbarian a reason to use Strength Surge. The goblins I talked about before don't have to be good at fighting -- they can sneak into the village at night and set it on fire!

CONSISTENCY
Don't be arbitrary. If something was hard yesterday, it's hard today. A house rule yesterday is a house rule today.

Keep NPC behavior the same. A clever villain who works from the shadows should probably not suddenly abandon his schemes and attack the party with a sword in broad daylight in full view of the city guard. A poisoned crossbow bolt fired from a third-story window would be more his style.

CONTINUITY
Players become immersed in a world that breathes. It should reflect their deeds. Stories should proceed logically from one step to the next.

NPCs whose lives they save should appear again, reinforcing the fact that they're still around. Conversely, NPCs who die have friends and family who will mourn the loss, seek revenge, and so forth.

If you say there's a war on the border, tell about it. Describe refugees and wounded soldiers coming from there, recruits and supplies flowing to the frontline. Have townsfolk talk about the fighting. Have a military commander draft the PCs after seeing them fight! If a treaty is signed, what happens next?

CONSEQUENCES
These can be good or bad, but are usually bad. In the real world you can't take any serious action without something following from it. Often you get something you didn't expect.

Say the PCs get in a nonlethal scrap in a bar. Well, the guys they fought aren't just cardboard cutouts. They're gang members. What do gang members do when someone hurts them? Get the whole gang together and deal some hurt back! When the PCs win the second, much more serious fight, all the local crime lords take notice. Suddenly every underworld leader is trying to recruit, buy off, or kill the party. Inevitably the law will also take an interest. That's like five sessions of gaming -- from a simple bar fight! Who knows where it will go from there?

I ran a whole campaign once where the PCs did nothing but clean up after the world's most powerful adventuring band. These NPCs were greedy, rash, and thoughtless, murdering their way through the countryside, ruining the economies of entire towns with their huge bags of gold. In other words, typical PC behavior seen from a different angle. Sure, the mighty NPCs killed the elder dragon that lived in the mountains. Now the villagers don't have to pay tribute, hooray! But of course there were five thousand goblins on the other side of the mountains who had only been restrained by the dragon's tyranny. With the beast gone, they began coming over the mountains to raid the village. Also, every treasure hunter for 1000 miles heard the dragon was dead and came to the area to claim its hoard. Inevitably they started to fight each other. So now there's goblins, economic upheaval, angry trouble-making treasure hunters, and all manner of problems. You'd think killing a dragon would be a good thing, right?

Don't be afraid to make your villains evil, and make them act. They can slink into the shadows when defeated, but should not go away. The clever crossbow villain I talked about doesn't have to target PCs after being thwarted. He can strike down a valued NPC instead. Imagine the PCs finding their best friend dead, a crossbow bolt protruding from his chest. A note tied to the bolt reads "Remember this lesson and stay out of my affairs." Now the PCs know they have a recurring enemy who won't fight fair. They have a reason to hate this guy's guts. They know there are stakes in this game, that their friend might be alive if they hadn't set these events in motion. They know they have to take crossbow guy down fast and hard or more of their friends could die.

Remember there are consequences for you too. Be careful not to kill too many of the PCs' friends or they'll stop bothering to make any. "Challenge" does not mean meat-grinder.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Make sure you sound enthusiastic about it, like do voices of some of the NPCs.

MidnightCat

Jul 21, 2009
This is a good resource: http://theangrygm.com/

From my own experience as a player, I'd say that the most important thing is keeping your players engaged.
Try to run a campaign that's fun for them to play, and provide them with things to do. Play to the strengths of their characters. Try to keep combat rounds snappy, as combat is often the time when players get bored and begin looking at their phones/iPads/laptops (I am guilty of this).

Outside combat, don't just wait for players to tell you what they're going to do - if you haven't heard from someone, ask them. If their characters have some downtime, or have split up, you might want to implement a time-based pseudo-initiative to allow them to act separately.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
From what I've learned from my last session as a rookie GM,

1. Keep things simple
2. If you have to separate the group, make the time for separation quick because it drags down the session and players lose interest. However, try to always keep the group together.
3. Make sure you have a back-up plan.
4. If important details need to be mentioned to everyone, make sure everyone is on the same page. Trust me on this one.