Gotham Believes in Harvey Dent; Do You?

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Gotham Believes in Harvey Dent; Do You?

He's no Billy Dee Williams, but Gotham's version of Harvey Dent makes his entrance.

Read Full Article

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I believe the implication with Nikolai's murder was Cobblepot did it on his own terms without Maroni's orders, and then made it look like Falcone did it? I don't know, I'm a bit confused with all that double dealing as well.

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I believe the implication with Nikolai's murder was Cobblepot did it on his own terms without Maroni's orders, and then made it look like Falcone did it? I don't know, I'm a bit confused with all that double dealing as well.
from what I understood cobblepot pointed out Nikolai as a target for Maroni to take out to send message to Falcone this is how I imagined it from each perspective

Maroni: wants to send a message by killing Nickolai will hurt Falcone

Falcone: Knows that Nikolai is working with Fish because cobblepot is secretly working for him so killing Nikolai is actually benefical to him

Cobblepot: solidifys his positions with both Maroni and Falcone AND gets the bonus of killing Maronis right hand guy (dont know his name)

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Mike Hoffman said:
Knowing that Gotham was tackling the character, I was apprehensive of how he would be treated, but hopeful for the slow burn on his story possible on TV. Nicholas D'Agosto lays on the passion of the character a little too thick, and the constant coin flipping is a bit on the nose. Dent also has a quick burst of anger, violently threatening newcomer Dick Lovecraft (another player in the growing Wayne murder conspiracy).

"Harvey Dent" reveals a bit too much about how quickly Dent can flip from someone driven by justice to anger. A drawn out story of Dent becoming a heroic figure that quickly falls could be fantastic, but the show would need to chill on the more Two-Facey traits of the character. The fewer rage-induced outbursts the better. Still, this was only the first showing of the Assistant District Attorney, and future appearances might be more nuanced.
I think the writers were trying to draw a bit from the "Big Bad Harv" portrayal of the character from the animated series, which did fly off the handle like that sometimes before he became TwoFace. When Dent started yelling at Lovecraft I definitely started having flashbacks to this scene:

So I enjoyed it quite a bit. Any Batman stuff that takes inspiration from BTAS is okay in my book.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Jut want to say real quick, thanks to all of you for reading and commenting!

immortalfrieza said:
I think the writers were trying to draw a bit from the "Big Bad Harv" portrayal of the character from the animated series, which did fly off the handle like that sometimes before he became TwoFace.
*snip*
Oh yeah, loved that series and it's a perfectly acceptable version of Dent. I just hope they can downplay the outbursts so when they do use it, it will have a greater impact. I don't want Dent's duality to follow the same trend Nygma's riddles did in the first half-dozen episodes.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Camren Bicondova her face made me glow inside, but then I found out that she's half my age. And then the bubble popped like the gum she was chewing. But still, the show is at least having a good approach as a world building platform, so I will keep watching.

But I am still not strong on Sean Pertwee as Alfred for some strange reason. All I can think is his role as Gareth Lestrade from Elementary and how it irked me.

Robin L. Taylor as the Penguin however pleasantly surprised me, because he's only known for guest appearances and minor roles and didn't know if he could worm his way as the future crime boss of Gotham. But he's really shaping up to become a good part of the show.

Qui-mono995

Sep 27, 2014
I still dont understand why this show has to be before batman exist. I Mean, it has really good elements but it cant go anywhere because bruce is still a kid

weirdsoup

Jul 28, 2010
I did like the way they shot the scene in Dent's office where half his face is almost constantly in shadow. I'm assuming it's meant as a nod to the character's future role and not just a lucky bit of lighting

THM

Sep 27, 2014
Pretty good episode; neat twist with Barbara at the end, even if she hasn't really come together as a character yet.

One question, though; if Bruce is doing some sort of homeschool programme, what was the whole thing about him going to school in the previous episode? That part really threw me.

I think with the Fish/Falcone thing, the robbery is Fish trying to weaken Falcone through indirect means - of course, it could have something to do with Penguin anyway - that dude's got his flippers in everything. :)