Gotham: Oh, Gordon, Where You Gonna Run To?

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Gotham: Oh, Gordon, Where You Gonna Run To?

"Penguin's Umbrella" ties up some loose ends while Zsasz takes Gotham City to Funky Town.

Read Full Article

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I've always thought Zsasz has such a lack of characteristics, it frees him up to be changed a little in other adaptations, like in the Arkham games and Batman Begins. I keep hoping either a competent cop or more colorful villain/anti-hero would just waste him already.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Well, once again Barbara submits her nomination for the Fictional Moron Of The Year award. I knew the moment I saw the whole leaving scene that Barbara was going to turn right around and put herself in danger as a result. What is worse is all they had to do to have the same thing happen without making Barbara be an idiot was have Falcone's men follow her to whatever she was hiding out and kidnap her. Writers, can this show NOT have characters act like complete idiots just to avoid killing the plot every episode, especially when it's very easy to avoid doing that and still keep the plot going PLEASE?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Screw it, this series is a train wreck. I just hope it doesn't make season two or if it does they reboot the whole thing and forget this mess they are building.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
immortalfrieza said:
Well, once again Barbara submits her nomination for the Fictional Moron Of The Year award. I knew the moment I saw the whole leaving scene that Barbara was going to turn right around and put herself in danger as a result. What is worse is all they had to do to have the same thing happen without making Barbara be an idiot was have Falcone's men follow her to whatever she was hiding out and kidnap her. Writers, can this show NOT have characters act like complete idiots just to avoid killing the plot every episode, especially when it's very easy to avoid doing that and still keep the plot going PLEASE?
Yeah... that character was unnecessarily written as the moral compass of Gordon, while also being a dumb moron that could barely function as an adult in any setting, let alone one as corrupt and cynic as Gotham.

Scene 1: Gordon shares privileged information with his fiance. She walks away and calls the press (in front of him). She is treated like the one with the moral high ground.
Scene 2: Gordon refuses to share privileged information with his fiance. He is treated as a bad guy because he doesn't trust her (despite the fact she just proved she is less reliable to keep secrets than a parrot with a megaphone).
Scene 3: Gordon is confronted with the fact her fiance was a lesbian and had an affair with the woman that is investigating him for charges of corruption. Right after a fight about how he doesn't trust her with his secrets anymore, he confronts her. He is portrait as an unsympathetic guy that doesn't understand she has the right to keep secrets from her fiance, specially minor ones like her sexual orientation and her past lovers with conflicts of interests.
Scene 4: Gordon sends her away to protect her from the repercussions of the biggest arrest of his (or any) career. She gets back to warn the suspects (a notorious mob boss), and ask for his forgiveness because... reasons.

I mean, not that everyone in Gotham needs to be a mastermind, but getting out of hiding to go talk to the bad guys (with no leverage at all), was a pretty lousy line of thought... and it could have been easily avoided by simply showing Zsasz in the train station.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
They might as well rename this show "The Penguin" and I would keep watching.
He is the most interesting character so far and without him, this show would do much worse I think.
Good episode, maybe best so far.
Also I agree on the writing at points, they are keeping a comic spirit in this show ;)

Zasz, damn. Nice introduction. I loved the show he put on and I don't think that he is even THAT far from beeing the guy from other Batman media.
The show has gotten better mostly and I hope it keeps on the rise.

Booklover13

Mar 10, 2014
Hiramas said:
Zasz, damn. Nice introduction. I loved the show he put on and I don't think that he is even THAT far from beeing the guy from other Batman media.
I think Zasz is first villain where the idea of "this is who they were before" really works for me. Not saying the rest haven't been good. It just feels like they have already progressed to much. Zasz is where I expect him to be the couple of decades before Batman.

Comic Sans

DOWN YOU GO!
Oct 15, 2008
Country
United States
See, as someone who doesn't like this show but wants to, this episode was ALMOST good. But then, that ending. Oh. My. GOD. Barbara has become basically a parody at this point. She is so naive and stupid it's painful. It was such a stupid, contrived way to raise the stakes that it took me right out of the episode. It would have been so simple to have them just nab her off the train. It would have added to the menace and all-powerful nature of the villains. Instead, the plot required someone to act like a colossal moron. The fact that is was Barbara acting stupid AGAIN was icing on the cake. Seriously, it seems like a lot of the drama on the show is her acting stupid. It sucks me right out of the show and ruined the episode for me.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
At one point, he orders the police department to empty out so he can take Gordon to Falcone, and this might be my favorite moment in the series so far.
It was actually my least favourite moment. There's one guy with two chicks, neither brandishing a weapon (well, yet), and an entire goddamn police station filled with armed cops and they do fuck all and let it happen?! My suspension of disbelief got crushed into a tiny paste there.

The character itself was still cool enough though, though perhaps a little too sane for my taste. Speaking of sanity, the Penguin is the sole reason I keep following this show. I adore his portrayal and can't wait to see him rise to power properly.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Cowabungaa said:
At one point, he orders the police department to empty out so he can take Gordon to Falcone, and this might be my favorite moment in the series so far.
It was actually my least favourite moment. There's one guy with two chicks, neither brandishing a weapon (well, yet), and an entire goddamn police station filled with armed cops and they do fuck all and let it happen?! My suspension of disbelief got crushed into a tiny paste there.
I think the idea was that scene was supposed to show just how much power the mob has over Gotham, but yeah, that was pretty excessive. My biggest problem with it is this and scenes like it only underscore just how much of a hopeless cause Gotham really is and how incredibly stupid and naive (at least he and Barbara have something in common) Gordon is not leaving Gotham to destroy itself and getting himself and Barbara the hell out of dodge instead of trying to fix the unfixable.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
This show shouldn't do action scenes. All I could think while watching Gordon run was "Man, I wish Batman was here already". Barbara is goddamn useless.

i4njw

May 7, 2014
This was a really good episode. Looking forward to what the rest of the season has in store.

Apr 17, 2009
Think I may have missed something, but when exactly did Nikolai get eliminated? You see him alive and well in the one scene where he plots with Fish, next thing you know Falcone's saying how he's gone. I assume he was one of the dudes who died in that warehouse raid and I just didn't recognise him, right?