Gotham Showrunner on Batman: He's Not "A Fun Character"

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
I don't quite get the point of this show. This could be any kind of generic crime drama with Bat-Egg (it's like an Easter Egg but darker, broodier, and countless millions of people practically fall into paroxysms of ecstasy whenever the merest hint of it is mentioned) plastered all over it. We're not getting the twisted, larger-than-life stuff here. If I want gritty, character-driven crime drama I can go watch any number of other shows and not have to deal with the foul taste of Bat getting into everything.

OT: Nothing very original about their take on Wayne. The recipe doesn't vary, just the proportion of ingredients. If they're going to be focusing on the traumatized child angle, so be it, but I'd almost rather see how having a doting father figure like Alfred fails to stop a traumatized Bruce from becoming a hobo-beating basement dwelling psycho. I'd rather not see the redemption so much as the failure in this case, the underlying message that becoming Batman wasn't necessarily the right path to take. That story, with the desperate Gotham PD facing a rising tide of crime borne by people who will become monsters given the right catalyst, would be one I'd watch.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
No joke? It's been YEARS with the exact same "SO DARK/GRITTY" aspect of Batman being the ONE thing WB can even think of that it even made'em affect the Superman movie, and while I couldn't care any less about Superman, seeing the "SO REALISTIC/SAD" part of it just made me laugh.

We already got a "realistic/serious" take on the "universe" WB is trying to create, and it started falling apart by the end of the second/start of the third movie, why try to push that on every single thing? Especially when you don't even have an actually good base for anything they're trying to do.

"This is a serious take on everything Batman BUT without Batman" yeah... no thanks, that let's us with what exactly? A Sopranos/Law & Order wannabe?

Drake Barrow said:
I don't quite get the point of this show. This could be any kind of generic crime drama with Bat-Egg (it's like an Easter Egg but darker, broodier, and countless millions of people practically fall into paroxysms of ecstasy whenever the merest hint of it is mentioned) plastered all over it.
And that's exactly why, cuz because of the mere mention of "Batman" on this, it will sell at least for a while, and it sounds pretty much like what they're looking for.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Aiddon said:
rag on it all ya want, that's the point of Bruce Wayne; he's not really a character about being lighthearted or "fun." It's why the best interpretations of him have always been on the more grim and serious side.
Really? I always thought the point of Bruce Wayne is that he is known for being a millionaire playboy. Playing the part of a rich idiot who got his inheritance through his parents' deaths with a string of different women in his arm every night but never the same each time.

And that's the main bit, that its a part he is playing to throw off suspicion. Ironically[sub]amiusingitrite?[/sub], his real self plays the facade for his costumed alter ego. Eventually he starts seeing the dark knight as his "real" side more and more each day.

There, you step away from the overused Grim and Angsty character yet still allow use of dark storytelling.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
I was interested, because I thought the whole point of this series was that it wasn't going to focus on Bruce Wayne. That said, though, I might give it a chance IF, and only if, at some point Alfred gives Bruce a nice hard slap across the face for wallowing in his misery.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Well I'd argue that they shouldn't show much of Bruce Wayne at all, since this show was supposed to be "not a Batman show."

I mean, it makes sense that Bruce Wayne would be a fucked up kid, so I'm actually interested to see that, I just hope that this announcement doesn't mean we'll be seeing him every single episode.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Oh, yay, another generation of grim, joyless Batman.

I think I need to binge-watch "Brave & the Bold" to clear my palate.

captcha: beer in a bottle

Maybe a couple of those, too.