Gotham TV Show on Fox to Be Batman Origin Story

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Gotham TV Show on Fox to Be Batman Origin Story

Fox confirms Gotham will be an origin story for the young Bruce Wayne and will be in the same gritty tone as Christoper Nolan's Batman films.

Last year, Fox <a href="http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128137-Foxs-Gotham-Will-Have-More-Police-Less-Batman
">announced that it has given a straight-to-series order for a new live-action TV series titled "Gotham," which reportedly wouldn't feature Batman himself, but instead focus on a young Commissioner Gordon. But at today's TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour, FOX Chairman of Entertainment Kevin Reilly has confirmed the earlier reports were false, and that the show would indeed function as an origin story for the Dark Knight.

According to Reilly, Gotham "is an origin story for the young Bruce Wayne," and promises that all of the classic Batman characters and villains will make an appearance on the show, which includes Commissioner Gordon, the Penguin, the Riddler and of course, Batman's arch-nemesis, the Joker.

The TV series will show how the characters "became who they are," and be about "Gotham on the brink." As for Bruce Wayne himself, the show will follow him from childhood through his transformation into the Batman, with the final episode highlighting the moment when Bruce dons the cape and cowl. While FOX is still uncertain what age he'll be when the show starts, Reilly estimates that Bruce will at least be 13 at the start of the series. "If we do our job well he'll be a young man and be ready (to be Batman) by the end," the exec adds. This slow reveal rings true for Batman's foes, too, as Reilly mentions, "We're not starting in that world where the villains are in costume," but viewers will witness the villains' transformation, and how they end up as the characters we know now.

Just in case you're wondering, the Gotham TV series will share no connection to Zack Snyder's Batman vs. Superman film [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129044-Ben-Affleck-Was-Reluctant-to-Take-Batman-Role]. So, don't expect a Ben Affleck cameo anytime soon -- though that's not to say it won't borrow anything from past Batman films; while director Christopher Nolan is not involved with the show's production, it will be in the same grittier tone established with the Dark Knight trilogy.

Casting for Gotham is expected to start soon, but no target premiere date has been announced as of press time.

Based on what we know so far, what do you think of this new take on Batman's origin story? Will FOX be able to replicate the same level of success as Batman Begins or even Frank Miller's excellent Batman: Year One graphic novel?

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/13/foxs-gotham-is-a-batman-origin-story-and-will-have-a-christopher-nolan-esque-tone]

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Is nobody else instantly bored by the idea of ANOTHER origins story? I've seen the origin of Batman in 2 movies now.
I guess it hasn't gotten as bad as Superman, where we see his 'origin' story almost every damn film.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Interesting... I would watch it for a few episodes to see if it was any good. I do have one question though. How do you show the origin of the Joker? I'm not informed on the comics, but isn't the lore that no one knows who the Joker is or how he came to be?

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Well thank God. It's about time they got around to telling Batman's origin.

*eye roll*

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
O...for the love of...uck.

Beware The Batman is going it great job, no need for this series.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
OH FOR GOD'S SAKE DO WE NEED ANOTHER ORIGIN STORY FOR BATMAN?

For the love of all that is good and green on this earth can we not just have a show or film where Batman is already in the cowl and has been for a while? Tim Burton's Batman managed to pull it off, mostly.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Sarge034 said:
Interesting... I would watch it for a few episodes to see if it was any good. I do have one question though. How do you show the origin of the Joker? I'm not informed on the comics, but isn't the lore that no one knows who the Joker is or how he came to be?
Supposedly, we'll see how the villains transform. I have no idea how that works, though. Maybe show Joker as a teen being a punk?

Li Mu said:
Is nobody else instantly bored by the idea of ANOTHER origins story? I've seen the origin of Batman in 2 movies now.
I guess it hasn't gotten as bad as Superman, where we see his 'origin' story almost every damn film.
I know how you feel. I'm a huge Batman fan and it seems every time a new film, animated movie or comic is released, it's about his origin story. Well, at least FOX is showing us a new point-of-view with a young Bruce Wayne. I assume they saw Smallville and thought the same would work with Batman.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Well this is guaranteed to be crap. God forbid we get a series about batman just going on batman adventures on a weekly basis (aka every good batman animated series to date), nope gotta drag out the tired old we've done it a million times already but hey here's another origin story pointlessness.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Li Mu said:
Yeah, but Superman's has rocket ships.

DON'T DISS ROCKET SHIPS

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Wouldn't it be more interesting to have a series focusing on Batman towards the end of his career instead of the beginning?

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Li Mu said:
*rises hand*
No one needs to see another origin story. There are tribes of mole men, deep under the earth who have never heard of man that know batmans origin story.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
God damn it, I was so down for a Commissioner Gordan TV show.

I guess a Batman origin story TV show isn't the worst thing that could happen, but it doesn't seem nearly as interesting considering everyone already knows the origin story of batman, and no one really needs to see it again. Fox is taking way less of a risk with this show than they could have and it's disappointing.

Also really not digging the possibility of child actors being involved.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Well thank God. It's about time they got around to telling Batman's origin.

*eye roll*
Here I was thinking; It's been about 5 years, shouldn't they be rebooting Batman again?

Nah not shocked, not even a tiny bit. It's a shame Smallville boned Superman so badly, more so that Wonder Woman's series wasn't picked up. Don't get me wrong, I like superhero t.v series, Windows 8 (sorry, Arrow) is pretty good. But let's see a different hero. But not Aquaman, he blows bubbles.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
[HEADING=2]WHY[/HEADING]

Please SOMEONE tell me why we another origin story for batman?!

Here, i'll explain his origin within a 10 sentences:
His parents die, boo hoo
He's alone with his crazy butler
gets older, goes crazy and dresses like a bat
punches people
punches super villians
gets popular with the ladies
punches more people

THERE, origin done
check please!

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Really? We're going the "Origin" route with Batman. We're going to be doing this again? Seriously?

*sigh*

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
The least they could do is come up with a new origin story. They're already going to piss off Batman fans so they might as well do something original at the same time. Here's my pitch:

Bruce Wayne is a vet at Gotham Zoo. Working late one night he is bitten by a bat with a sore throat, granting him the superhuman ability of having a gravelly voice. Stumbling home, delirious with fever, he witnesses some thugs brutally beating a beloved franchise in a darkened alley. At this moment he dedicates his life to fighting crime and corruption, masking his true identity with a slightly different voice than his own and using the fortune he made healing sick animals to have an arsenal of curiously specific gadgets made to aid his cause. Also he's an orphan.

STENDEC1

Jul 20, 2012
I share the sentiments of most others here. We do not need another origin story for Batman. We've seen it already. Many times, most recently in the form of Batman Begins (and also some of the newer animated things presumably but I haven't seen those). There's literally no reason to do this. At all. Besides, knowing Fox it'll run for one season and get cancelled anyway.