Gotta Love Metal Gear Solid

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Gotta Love Metal Gear Solid

Gotta love Metal Gear Solid. By which I mean it is now mandatory to love Metal Gear Solid.

Read Full Article

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I suspect the "in other words" thing is just a quirk of Japanese writing. I also see this used a ton in anime. It's as annoying as shit there too.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. Metal Gear?

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
I always find weird how Metal Gear as a series gets some stuff kind of right but then shoves weird stupid shit into it's game. For instance, they went to the point that the FOXdie virus had a somewhat specific mecahnism of action but then you get a floating gasmask psychic. Or when Naked Snake gets his hands on the modified 1911 and gushes about it but then you get a guy with the power to control FUCKING BEES

Covarr said:
Metal Gear?
Metal Gear.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Well sure, very little has been retconned and it was never rebooted because the plot overall makes no sense at all. Who needs retconns or a reboot when you can just keep going, it's not like logic ever meant much in Metal Gear.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I was thinking my comment should just be:
"Nanomachi- Nanomachi- Nanomachi- " from the time Hideo's dictaphone broke, because every time I think of him I first see that picture from ZP. Then I see the picture that the Escapist used a while with him riding on that child's toy duck... made out of nanomachi-

ThinRedLine

Sep 15, 2015
"less than intuitive controls.."

A bit rich from someone who made Poacher.

Honestly, the plot fell apart and I didn't listen to half of the tapes, but it is the only game since Deus Ex, Thief and Blood Money where I could just lie in wait for minutes, and take hours to slog through a mission infiltrating a place unseen. I haven't enjoyed any game's GAMEPLAY like this in many, many years. To say it has less than intuitive controls when it has the best controls in the whole MGS series to offer? Sometimes I doubt Yahtzee's commitment to Sparkle Motion.

The game is simply - fun. Gleeful at times. More of this in the game industry, please, rather than Gone Home and Sunset.

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
Umm, last I checked Springsteen wasn't around circa WW2, but I bet if you pointed this out to Kojima he would come up with some explanation as to how he could have been.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Thanatos2k said:
Well sure, very little has been retconned and it was never rebooted because the plot overall makes no sense at all. Who needs retconns or a reboot when you can just keep going, it's not like logic ever meant much in Metal Gear.
Its all perfectly logical so long as you never, ever look back and compare and always, always accept new stuff as it comes. :)

Then again, Snake seems perpetually confused about things anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9XOSzVb0O0

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
ThinRedLine said:
"less than intuitive controls.."

A bit rich from someone who made Poacher.

Honestly, the plot fell apart and I didn't listen to half of the tapes, but it is the only game since Deus Ex, Thief and Blood Money where I could just lie in wait for minutes, and take hours to slog through a mission infiltrating a place unseen. I haven't enjoyed any game's GAMEPLAY like this in many, many years. To say it has less than intuitive controls when it has the best controls in the whole MGS series to offer? Sometimes I doubt Yahtzee's commitment to Sparkle Motion.

The game is simply - fun. Gleeful at times. More of this in the game industry, please, rather than Gone Home and Sunset.
I agree with this, the controls are really really good.
And i am not even a fanboy or something, this is my very first Metal Gear Game.
What i just love, btw., is how you can call your horse, start running somewhere and the horse will start to run beside you so you can just jump on it midrun. That's so cool, that should be a mandatory thing now for every game that implements horses.

Jan 12, 2012
Lightspeaker said:
Thanatos2k said:
Its all perfectly logical so long as you never, ever look back and compare and always, always accept new stuff as it comes. :)
I like to imagine that sometime around 1998 Kojima sat down at a typewriter with a redwood's worth of paper and a sack of cocaine, started writing, and never stopped or reread anything until both were finished.

Later, he couldn't make heads or tails of it, but he figured it was genius anyways so he decided to just put it all out straight-faced. It's built on insane dream logic, where he pins down any idea and goes off on it for an hour, then takes off a mach speed for something else for no apparent reason.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Lightspeaker said:
Thanatos2k said:

Then again, Snake seems perpetually confused about things anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9XOSzVb0O0
I actually used that video as the helicopter song.

OT: All in all Kojima should have stopped a long time ago if he is afraid of showing Big Boss in a bad light, in the end it only made the series an even bigger mess.

ThinRedLine

Sep 15, 2015
Amaror said:
What i just love, btw., is how you can call your horse, start running somewhere and the horse will start to run beside you so you can just jump on it midrun. That's so cool, that should be a mandatory thing now for every game that implements horses.
I think Shadow of the Colossus had the same thing, and it was great as well. Here it works very intuitively when you call your horse, start hauling ass and then D-Horse comes along, as you said, very satisfying.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
The biggest problem with most MGS games is just they're more fun to watch than they are to play...and even then the messages sorta get hammered in alot of the time more than they probably should.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Thunderous Cacophony said:
Lightspeaker said:
Thanatos2k said:
I like to imagine that sometime around 1998 Kojima sat down at a typewriter with a redwood's worth of paper and a sack of cocaine, started writing, and never stopped or reread anything until both were finished.

Later, he couldn't make heads or tails of it, but he figured it was genius anyways so he decided to just put it all out straight-faced. It's built on insane dream logic, where he pins down any idea and goes off on it for an hour, then takes off a mach speed for something else for no apparent reason.
Nah, he is VERY clearly making it up as he goes along. I'm not convinced he plans out even one game at a time.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
GrumbleGrump said:
Covarr said:
Metal Gear?
Metal Gear.
Metal Gear, huh?

Honestly, I have no idea why I love MGS so much. The story and the characters I mean. I love the gameplay. I always had a thing for stealth games and MGS is the pinnacle of stealth. Especially MGS V. But yes, the story is convoluted and mostly senseless, the dialogue is atrocious and characters are very inconsistent at times. It's one of those games that you have to play with headphones on because you don't want anyone else to hear the often embarrassingly bad dialogue. Yet I adore it. Despite the obvious flaws I love everything about it. Flaws included. No idea why.

I'm one of "those" very familiar with the whole plot. And I am not really satisfied with MGSV "story" of the idea that Snake barely talks in this one. Kojima should have just toned it down a little. But he seems to be unable to balance things out. He must go from one extreme to the other. Instead of talkative Snake we now have a mute, and the story suffers for it greatly. Well, it also suffers because it is cut short. It's so obviously rushed and incomplete it would make my blood boil but EA made sure that can't happen again after ME3. I just don't have the energy to get upset anymore. Besides, gameplay is amazing so at least there's that.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Metal Gear is one of my favorite series. The attention to detail and attempts at realism mixed with the batshit crazy bosses and storylines just work for me. There was just nothing quite like the original MGS and despite the change in protagonist, 2 improved the gameplay in just about every way and it just got better with each iteration.

5 is fantastic so far, despite a few flaws, and I see myself playing it for at least the rest of the year. Then I just might do something crazy and replay the whole series for fun.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Thanatos2k said:
I breathe through my skin.

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
I honestly think that the reason no one minds all those plot holes is because the vast majority of people playing video games just don't pay attention to anything beyond game play.

A good example of this is Final Fantasy XIII, a game with switches view points from its considerable cast telling the story from multiple angles but uses a linear gameplay path. #1 complain about the game? Too linear!

People just don't pay attention I tell you.