GOTY (and PGOTY) Discussion

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dead Rising 2 - I'm going to call this one my guilty pleasure game of the year, because it's really not a great game. But it's mindless zombie bashing fun and sometimes that's enough.
What's so guilty about it? The game is fun. Not my favorite zombie game, but you can do much worse than Dead Rising 2. It's definitely better than the first game. Most people say either 2 is the best or 3. You won't find many defenders of Dead Rising 4.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
What's so guilty about it? The game is fun. Not my favorite zombie game, but you can do much worse than Dead Rising 2. It's definitely better than the first game. Most people say either 2 is the best or 3. You won't find many defenders of Dead Rising 4.
It's guilty because I mistyped the name of the game I was even fucking talking about. RIP.

Dead ISLAND 2

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
I just realized this thread is also about games released before the year so I get to talk about how much I love Death's Door.

I love Death's Door. I got the platinum by beating the game with an umbrella as a weapon. It's the best video game I played all year, for reals. That's right- in a year that is being discussed as one of the greatest of all time, with epic beloved and obsessed over games, I rate whacking cartoonies as a penguin to be my a#1. I dunno.. it's so good.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dead ISLAND 2
I still wouldn't call that one a guilty pleasure. I haven't played it yet, no probably never will, but if you enjoyed it or like its gameplay loop, then there's nothing wrong with that. Still better than Dying Light 2.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I just realized this thread is also about games released before the year so I get to talk about how much I love Death's Door.

I love Death's Door. I got the platinum by beating the game with an umbrella as a weapon. It's the best video game I played all year, for reals. That's right- in a year that is being discussed as one of the greatest of all time, with epic beloved and obsessed over games, I rate whacking cartoonies as a penguin to be my a#1. I dunno.. it's so good.
Have you played Titan Souls?

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Hold the phone!

Those other games I mentioned before in this thread? They're out of the running for GOTY. Tears of the Kingdom? Yeah, you bet there's crying. Metroid Prime? More like Metroid Secundus. Pikmin? Not enough dandoori. System Shock? A pathetic creature of ones and zeroes. All supplanted by the game I just finished.

Ghost Trick

Yeah, it's a rerelease, but it's from this year and I never played the original, so shut up, it counts. And I adore this game. I adored the quirky characters, the surprisingly touching story, the colorful visuals, the banging music, the wacky puzzles. But above all, I adore what it is, a late scion of an era where major publishers, in between their big franchises, would release there small weird and creative games. None of which invariably sold that great, but which pretty much all went on to cult status. An era that gave us Parappa, Katamari, Ace Attorney, Elite Beat Agents, Jet Set Radio, No One Can Stop Mr Domino, Chulip and many more. An era that feels like it's over, possibly for good, and will be missed.

Also why is this 30 second loop so god damn fucking hype

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Alan Wake II - I love the game, but I am not sure about it going on my PGOTY list.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
We still have two months to go, but barring any big surprises:

GOTY: Baldurs Gate 3. I don't care about DnD, I have no experience with classic CRPG's, whatever, this is a milestone and I'm not too proud to admit it. Games like Witcher 3 can make you feel like you're starring in some great fantasy movie, but BG3 makes you feel like you're both starring in and writing a great fantasy novel. I might not be the core audience for this, but credit where credit is due, I don't think anything better came out this year. Resident Evil 4 Remake is up there in taking something that was near perfect and finding some, albeit minor, ways to improve on it. Zelda: TotK delivers that Nintendo seal of quality but doesn't distinguish itself enough from BotW. BG3 is both surprisingly and overwhelmingly good. They can take that to the bank.

PGOTY: Probably still Hi-Fi Rush. There have been better games this year but probably none that I enjoyed more. It's got the style, it's got the gameplay, it's got the character designs, it's got the sense of humor... This is how you start an IP, man. It doesn't have the high budget presentation or sophisticated production the actual GOTY candidates have but what it has is charm, and that in spades. The System Shock Remake is probably the main runner up here. Beautiful, tactile reimagining of an old classic, glad it exists, but doesn't quite have the same sense of joy to it. Still not too far into Alan Wake 2, definitely feels like a passion project and certainly the most sophisticated expression of Sam Lake's skills as a writer and director yet. I said it before, totally rooting for Remedy, but it's just a bit too janky and indulgent to make the cut. Though, again, verdict is still out, far from finished with it.

And just because I feel bad for leaving it out, let's add the OOTY, the Outsider of the Year. I.e. the game that's too weird, nerdy or niche to seriously qualify for either of the other two titles, but I'd feel bad for ignoring. What Pokemon Reborn was for me last year. Anyways, this year this goes out to Void Stranger. Indie Sokoban style puzzle game with obscure mechanics, obscure story and some relation to an equally obscure Shoot em Up called Zero Ranger. It has that Finnish Indie Game thing that games like Noita or Infra have where a straight forward premise gives way to some truly labyrinthine writing and game design and before you know it you've spent 30 hours on it and still feel like you've only scratched the surface of it. I'd hate to not have mentioned it in a topic like this. Unless Peripeteia comes out this year, Void Stranger is gonna have this title safe.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
PGOTY: Probably still Hi-Fi Rush. There have been better games this year but probably none that I enjoyed more. It's got the style, it's got the gameplay, it's got the character designs, it's got the sense of humor... This is how you start an IP, man. It doesn't have the high budget presentation or sophisticated production the actual GOTY candidates have but what it has is charm, and that in spades.
The game does have budget, it's just goes for an early to mid 2000s animation aesthetics. Money was put into this game, but it was used wisely. It's the strong art direction that caries HF Rush as well. Keep in mind, the game was in production since 2019. Otherwise, I agree.

Still not too far into Alan Wake 2, definitely feels like a passion project and certainly the most sophisticated expression of Sam Lake's skills as a writer and director yet. I said it before, totally rooting for Remedy, but it's just a bit too janky and indulgent to make the cut. Though, again, verdict is still out, far from finished with it.
Pretty much why I hesitate to put in my list.