Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Wait, on top of them missing Half Life Alyx, isn't it too early to have this list since Cyberpunk isn't out yet?

Edit: Oh yeah, nearly forgot that game awards tend to just be bullshit and even more marketing stunts then normal awards shows. Nevermind.
Cyberpunk got pushed to December which is a month they move to the following year. So the game delayed itself out of 2020 even if it technically comes out in 2020.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Your first statement, I’d say trying to see the game through a different lens and just accepting it for that might help assuage those awful, cringey feelings it left you with. What I mean by that is, that was kinda the point: to take what you loved about the original and dismantle it, acknowledging that it can happen even in an entertainment medium that generally avoids that kind of thing, and attempt to change the audience’s perspective on something; in this case, the entire characters of Ellie and Abby. When you think of it, the undoing of Ellie and Joel’s relationship was already clear by the original’s conclusion anyways, paving the way for a different thread.
I don't see that as the best excuse. Ellie felt written out of character, behaving in ways she wouldn't, because the plot demanded it. There's a lot of that going on in the game, where characters suddenly do a U-turn for plot reasons. Like Tommy, who suddenly decides to abandon his wife and his responsibilty to his community to hunt down the killers, and then later turns all bellligerent toward Ellie. None of which feel like something Tommy would do, but the plot demands he just be like that now.

The difference between Ellie in TLoU2 and Atreus in GoW '18 when he goes through his little asshole phase, is that with the later I got mad at the character and with the former I got mad at the character writing.

That the game was marketed as a revenge theme didn’t do it any favors, since I think it kinda muddied the waters and veiled the real theme of letting go of it. Maybe that was the point too, but either way I gotta give the team credit for taking that unconventional risk in storytelling, even if the execution was arguably several levels of fucked.
It also didn't help that they flat-out lied in the trailers. Particularly the one that ends with the reveal of Joel and him saying 'You'd think I'd let you do this on your own'. Fans were clamoring for the reveal of Joel before that point, and the trailer was made to make fans lose their minds that they finally get to see him again. Only for it to be a bunch of BS.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I've never even heard of Hades. That's why it won't win. Has a smaller game like it ever won this show?
Bro you are missing out on Hades, that game is a fucking gem! It's cheap at full price but if you see it on sale you should 100% nab it.

Reactions: Trunkage

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I got really bored of Doom Eternal really early on. They made it grindy, with just bullet sponge enemies and extremely limited ammo supply and capacity. So battles just dragged on and on, but were also deadly. So I as left with the impression each battle was basically a scripted event, in that they had a specific order in which you kill the enemies and with what weapons. There was no flow to the battles, and I'm not a fan of just large arena battles. The first Doom remake had actual levels with progression, and Eternal just had linked arenas.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
I have not played Hades, due to supergiant's suspiciously coy nature towards porting it to the only ecosystem I got , but can I plz still hope it wins plz? They could do with a handy signal boost, just as long as they don't let it get to their heads and sell out. Unless selling out means I can play Hades. Oh no, conflicting emotions! Shit. I didn't sneakily lurk over here for this.

TLOU it is!

No, wait...GoT! No!...Doom Eternal! Argh, why are decisions so hard!?

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
I know a lot probably won't agree with me, but I really don't think a remake or remaster should be up for GOTY.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I know a lot probably won't agree with me, but I really don't think a remake or remaster should be up for GOTY.

At the risk of potentially spoiling, guess I'll tag it (although I already mentioned it in the OP)

Final Fantasy 7 : Remake is technically a sequel. The alternate events in game are because Sephiroth (And possibly Aeris) went back in time to try and change the timeline. The game actually ends with you fighting time police spirits taht are trying to keep the original timelines events intact throughout the game when deviations occurring. Most hilariously when Sepiroth kills Barrett and they just resurrect him 10 seconds later.

DJShaddycat

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2020
Country
United States
At the risk of potentially spoiling, guess I'll tag it (although I already mentioned it in the OP)

Final Fantasy 7 : Remake is technically a sequel. The alternate events in game are because Sephiroth (And possibly Aeris) went back in time to try and change the timeline. The game actually ends with you fighting time police spirits taht are trying to keep the original timelines events intact throughout the game when deviations occurring. Most hilariously when Sepiroth kills Barrett and they just resurrect him 10 seconds later.
Ah, that's fair enough then.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
Bro you are missing out on Hades, that game is a fucking gem! It's cheap at full price but if you see it on sale you should 100% nab it.
Hades is my Switch addiciton I jut now started playing other games on there. I am of the opinion that Super Giant never misses and Hades is Bastion combat refined to al dente.

Reactions: CriticalGaming

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Haven’t played any of them. Most are on console and the ones that aren’t are the kinds of games I just no longer consider for me and don’t warrant a try. So I’m giving the gong to World of Warcraft for keeping me from completely losing my fucking mind this year.