Gov Newsom faces recall election

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal

I really hope he gets recalled because his handling of covid has been horrendous.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Good, hopefully, an actual progressive wins, and not MAGA supporter Caitlyn Jenner.

Also Newsom is an elitist useless shill, who couldn't even build a high speed train in California.

Reactions: Dalisclock

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
A Democrat governor in California is being recalled over their (perceived) poor handling of a crisis and one of the Republican candidates is an athlete with no real political experience.

The more things have changed, the more they have stayed the same.

CM156

Resident Reactionary
Legacy
May 6, 2020
Country
United States
At least... at least it isn't a pro wrestler this time?
I think Jenner would make the perfect pro wrestler. They have amazing potential to be a heel: no matter where you fall on the political spectrum, I'm sure you'll find something to dislike.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Governor Newsom has not handled COVID well at all. That said, I can think of about 20 governors who deserve to be recalled by that criteria, so...eh.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
How did he mishandle covid? I'm in TX so I'm used to the state government being incompetent and it taking cities and HEB to really get shit done.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
How did he mishandle covid? I'm in TX so I'm used to the state government being incompetent and it taking cities and HEB to really get shit done.
Put in place non-sense restrictions that hurt small businesses while allowing big business to operate like normal thus both hurting the economy and not meaningfully curbing the spread.

Issued restrictions on how many people could gather while completely ignoring those restrictions for himself and his family and throwing lavish parties.

You know, the same thing all the other politicians did.

We just already don't like him so it was easy enough to get the signatures needed for a recall.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Well, on the most basic statistics of deaths per head population, California ranks 30th out of the 50 US states, and is over 10% below the national average. This is not an obvious indication of abysmal handling of the pandemic. The economy may have taken a relatively big hit, but the economic damage can't be easily compared because differences in state economies may cause different amounts of disruption to similar policies, and we'd really want to see what the recovery was like before we judged anyway.

My general take is that it's political bullshit: it's relatively easy for a small number of electors to force a recall for partisanship rather than competence.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Well, on the most basic statistics of deaths per head population, California ranks 30th out of the 50 US states, and is over 10% below the national average. This is not an obvious indication of abysmal handling of the pandemic. The economy may have taken a relatively big hit, but the economic damage can't be easily compared because differences in state economies may cause different amounts of disruption to similar policies, and we'd really want to see what the recovery was like before we judged anyway.

My general take is that it's political bullshit: it's relatively easy for a small number of electors to force a recall for partisanship rather than competence.
Calli is still on a high lockdown even now though. Sure they've had less cases than others but I think the point is that they traded off fewer cases for other downsides that will have an impact just as bad or worse than if they had opened up but will be felt later.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Good, hopefully, an actual progressive wins, and not MAGA supporter Caitlyn Jenner.

Also Newsom is an elitist useless shill, who couldn't even build a high speed train in California.
You know she's going to be Governor and President some day. She's too egotistical and vain to not run, and this country isn't smart enough to stop her.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
At least... at least it isn't a pro wrestler this time?
Caitlyn once appeared in an episode of the Love Boat where she played a wrestler and fought Hulk Hogan played by himself. American politics is never too far removed from the WWE. Have you guys had 4 or 5 Hall of famers hold political office?

Reactions: crimson5pheonix

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Caitlyn once appeared in an episode of the Love Boat where she played a wrestler and fought Hulk Hogan played by himself. American politics is never too far removed from the WWE. Have you guys had 4 or 5 Hall of famers hold political office?
Abraham Lincoln is in the wrestling hall of fame with a 299-1 record.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
For some reason I just pictured Vince McMahon in the Situation room and the Oval Office and I felt my asshole violently contract. Is that a normal reaction?

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Calli is still on a high lockdown even now though. Sure they've had less cases than others but I think the point is that they traded off fewer cases for other downsides that will have an impact just as bad or worse than if they had opened up but will be felt later.
Mm.

I think this idea of "other downsides" is a bit of a myth. The debate has long been framed as "death versus economy" but I'm not sure that's true. Death cans the economy anyway - not necessarily through worker death but because of how people will respond. You can leave your restaurant open, but there's a plague loose. People won't go to it enough to keep it open anyway. And the more that die, if the hospitals stop being able to take in patients, the more afraid and unhappy people will get and that's going to have knock-on effects, too.

The biggest problems are probably going to be inadequate welfare support for the losers, and I suspect education of children will have taken quite a hit too, which will have to be caught up over the coming years.

The reason that people perhaps need to wait before they get really upset is that there will be a bounceback when the economy reopens, because many people are sitting on piles of unspent lockdown cash and they are going to go on a splurge. In two years, there's a fair chance we'll see economies are pretty much where they would have been without lockdown.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
For some reason I just pictured Vince McMahon in the Situation room and the Oval Office and I felt my asshole violently contract. Is that a normal reaction?
Mild, I think.