Goyer's Martian Manhunter Comments Are Why DC Can't Have Nice Things

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
RossaLincoln said:
endtherapture said:
3 articles today. 3 articles shaming the team behind the DCU films today. Can you spell "agenda"? Pretty sad if you ask me, at least make a judgement after the films are out instead of trying to smear the films before they've even got off the ground.

Anyway...I think calling him Manhunter would be much better. Martian makes him sounds very B-movie and old fashioned and kinda goofy.
It needs to be said again that Marvel is making a movie about a talking raccoon named Rocket and his best friend the sentient tree. I'm pretty sure "goofy" and "old fashioned" aren't guarantors of badness or lack of audience response.
And we have NO idea how it will do. It might open and become the greatest film of all time, but at the moment no one knows if it's a commercial success. I personally think it will flop as it looks like an OTT sci-fi film with no easily-identifiable connection to the rest of the grounded, Earth-centric Marvel Universe, but we'll see.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
RossaLincoln said:
endtherapture said:
3 articles today. 3 articles shaming the team behind the DCU films today. Can you spell "agenda"? Pretty sad if you ask me, at least make a judgement after the films are out instead of trying to smear the films before they've even got off the ground.

Anyway...I think calling him Manhunter would be much better. Martian makes him sounds very B-movie and old fashioned and kinda goofy.
It needs to be said again that Marvel is making a movie about a talking raccoon named Rocket and his best friend the sentient tree. I'm pretty sure "goofy" and "old fashioned" aren't guarantors of badness or lack of audience response.
They're not, but everyone has always said since they announced it that it's an incredibly brave move bringing Rocket to the big screen. Brave and awesome, I might add, but it's the sort of risk that's only even slightly viable when you already have a dozen films worth of franchise goodwill. GotG could still flop, hard, and if it does then part of that is going to be raccoon-related.

They're also different kinds of goofy. One is "oh my god that raccoon has a machine gun, that's (amazing/stupid)", and the other is "did the green man from Mars get dressed in the dark?" or "did the Hulk lose a bunch of weight?". I literally don't even know how you'd sell a non-comic buying audience on Martian Manhunter, and I don't really know how you sell a comic buying audience on him either?

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Wow. I knew the guys behind DC's answer to marvel's hugely successful cinematic universe didn't know what the fuck they were doing. It's common ground as a movie fan, actually. An awful lot of film trends can be summed up as a huge hit coming out and people struggling to get in on that success. The only difference here is that this time it's between two particular long standing rival companies in their fields. Which only magnifies the effect, as I can't be assed to look up the actual numbers right now (it's quarter to midnight in the UK), but I'll bet that marvel's comics have seen some increased popularity since their avengers movie continuity hit it big, increased popularity that may well hurt DC, if nothing else, simply because it's a cash cow they're not quite in on.

But...seriously? This guy mangles a beloved character like this in what is effectively a public setting like it's no big deal. I don't even know that much about martian manhunter, my only prolonged contact with the character was "injustice: gods among us" in which he was a DLC character, and thus not even in the plot that much, but even I seem to know more about this character than Goyer does. It wouldn't surprise me if shit like this leaked, I practically expect this kind of talk behind the scenes on DC productions, but to just say "Yeah, I'm gonna shit on this character if I get the chance, what of it" like that? It doesn't just show that he doesn't know what he's talking about, but that he doesn't care that he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Why is it DC can do so much good with their cartoons, but suck at the live action stuff?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
aegix drakan said:
......And this guy is on the project........Why?
I assume because he part wrote Batman Begins and the Dark Knight, giving him access to any WB project he feels like that week from now until the rapture.

It's perverse how DC/Warner Bros are still afraid of taking risks when Marvel's have mostly paid off.

I mean who'd have thought that guy from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang would become the defacto face of a multi billion dollar franchise? Or that campy space opera about intergalactic Vikings would make $450million (and the even campier sequel would make more than that)? Sure there's been two awkward Hulk Movies, but compared to Jonah Hex, Catwoman and Green Lantern that's a minor flub.

They'll probably get it and dump the overt seriousness just when Marvel decide it's time to push the drama and starts killing off characters, which will make DC suddenly look clueless and trite... I'm starting to think DC are just fated to always be one step behind.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
Just fire this guy already! The moment is ripe, the right zeitgeist!

"We here at DC are greatly... blah-bleedeeh-blah... Mr. Goyer will no longer continue as the head writer of the DCU ... bla-blegh-blah..."

And just look for someone who cares, and even likes this sort of stuff. Not this too-cool-for-school hypocrite.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's been known and stated many times that the issue with the DC films is that they are literally scared of their own origins. They try to do this "realistic" version of superheroes, which is just stupid on so many levels. If you want further proof, look at the Batman suit from the Dawn of Justice film. They went right to Frank Miller for inspiration, and that guy HATES superheroes. He probably hates everyone, but he especially is offended by the concept of a "superman". So far so that he has successfully convinced some of his readers that all superheroes should be done away with. It's the most insane thing you could possibly imagine. But DC/WB is full of people who seem to be on the same page. A superhero can exist, but he must be as realistic as possible. Forget that fact that their whole success is built on Superman, Batman, Green Lantern, all characters that do things no normal human. And yes, you can sit there and say Batman is a normal guy, but no real person is as intuitive, intelligent or as physically gifted as he is.

I don't see why you guys are even listening to this guy. He has no clue.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
Wow, just Wow. MM works especially well if DC isn't going for the interconnected Universe. For the Superman comparison, MM is the last of his species but unlike Superman they died off while he was an adult. I mean he lost his wife and child. I'd play up that aspect. MM can easily be one of DC's more "human" characters if you script it right.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I've already made my statements towards Goyer in MovieBob's report about his sexist comments towards She-Hulk. Short version: David S Goyer is a socially-retarded piece of monkey shit that wouldn't know anything about common sense unless it pulled down his shorts and blew him. So, I'm just gonna post this video clip to let people know what I would like to do with Goyer right now (NSFW despite being rather cartoonish).

Fuck! Its shit like this that makes me want to become a hardcore drinker. -_-

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009

Well done DC. Well done. Can you guys hire someone who actually LIKES the comics? It's been working out marvellously for Marvel.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
DC, you prove once again why, even with Marvel's atrocious continuity, you still will never outshine anything done by Marvel. You just don't have the cajones cabron.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I love how almost every DC character is related to or directly alien, yet they still try to go for the "SO REALISTIC" approach to their movies.

Batman was one thing, a human that fights humans (although usually mutated/crazy) and that's about it in regards of "grounded" story that most people know about.

Just because Green Lantern was poorly done, that doesn't mean that the entire "hey... aliens" part should be put aside, it just shows how scared WB is of their own "money-making" universe, while Marvel puts out a movie with a talking raccoon, Vin diesel as a tree, a green alien and Batista and most people are going ape-shit about it, cuz they showed the balls to make their "nonsenical" universe a thing, and keep it going.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Oh god, why is that clown in anyway contributing to the creation of these movies?

The thing about people having heard of martian manhunter cos they never got laid in particular I found rather distasteful coming from a dude in charge of the story for a geek movie.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
TheMemoman said:
Just fire this guy already! The moment is ripe, the right zeitgeist!

"We here at DC are greatly... blah-bleedeeh-blah... Mr. Goyer will no longer continue as the head writer of the DCU ... bla-blegh-blah..."

And just look for someone who cares, and even likes this sort of stuff. Not this too-cool-for-school hypocrite.
I don't understand why they have Goyer when he clearly hates comics and the target audience. THEY HAVE BRUCE TIMM ON STAFF. BTAS, Superman, Batman Beyond, Justice League ring any bells DC? The guy was responsible for your 90s and early 2000s rennaisance, he'd make beautiful things happen, he could even out marvel Marvel in films!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I still think someone should hire Brian Clevinger(8-bit Theater, Atomic Robo) to give a go at a script. Teamed up with a competent director(that also loves comics), he could write stuff that would rival Whedon's stuff easily.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Doomed. Doomed doomed doomed. If this is the attitude of the guy behind the Batman v. Superman movie, and the apparent Justice League movie, then they're doomed. Maybe they pull of the impossible. Maybe Goyer has an amazing film up his sleeve. But as it stands, it looks like this movie and DC's dreams are in ruins before they even get off the ground.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Can Batman V. Superman just bomb already so we can see the death of these DC movies?

While I'm sure more people just want to see adaptations of these, I think we should just acknowledge when there's a lost cause and see something dead. Marvel has some skilled writers behind the movies that find the right balance between "wide audience appeal" and "Marvel fans, here's Rocket Raccoon." DC obviously does not. Let's just see the end of this before they remodel Wonder Woman so that she's a female Batman.

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
I still think someone should hire Brian Clevinger(8-bit Theater, Atomic Robo) to give a go at a script. Teamed up with a competent director(that also loves comics), he could write stuff that would rival Whedon's stuff easily.
Atomic Robo is the raining champ of fun and wittiness.

Kilo24

Aug 20, 2008
The fact that the part of the article that left the most impression with me was the part that made me go, "Oh, cool; a reference to the landmark case that established judicial review!" probably indicates that I do not possess a healthy mind.