SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
The3Apocalypses said:
Blue Dragon is 19.9 GB
Lost Odyssey is 23.2 GB
Last Remnant is 12.7 GB
Infinite Undiscovery is 12.5 GB
And most of the rest are somewhere between 5 and 7 on the Xbox... so... this is news?
Because it's the PS3 or something?

(source: http://www.bingegamer.net/2008/so-how-much-time-are-you-saving-xbox-360-nxe-hard-drive-install-chart/ )
Double this.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Jiraiya72 said:
IamSofaKingRaw said:
I read this somewhere else like 3 days ago.

On topic though this is the best racing game to be released so I wold gladly give it that much space to make the experience smoother. Practicaly everyone has a 120gb harddrive or higher (thank God for switchable HDDs!) so this shouldn't be a problem.
I have a launch ps3 and only about 18gigs of free space.
Now that the backup utility and the data-migration utilities are full-featured enough to make a new HD _not_ a new PS3, I highly recommend you look into springing for a bigger HD. I think you can get a 120GB for ~$25 now. Especially since HD installs (arguably) help reduce wear on your optical drive.
Is there some kind of space cap on the size youre allowed to have? I think I read 250gig or something is the most you can have.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
dang, I was somewhat planning toget this, well I am getting a new harddrive soon so then it wont be a problem. (after 3 years, I have finally been closing in on having no space on my 70 GB harddrive.)

Iffat Nur

Aug 13, 2010
Now try to imagina this in BTTF stlye:
Marty:What does this game run on?
Doc:Electricity, but it needs plutonium to generate the 1.21 GBs necessary to play.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Wow 10gb? I've only got 80gb and most of that's gone already.

I have a 1tb external harddrive, would it let me install to that?

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
I don't have that much room left, but then again, I'm still not sure if Im gonna get this. Time will tell though, but this news is certainly making me want this game a teeny bit less.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
you know, I had some stereotypical ideals on that any racing sports would cause impairment in the technological side of things in the brain and this only just proves my wild theory.

10GB might be enough to knock over a gamer if he/she was a Xbox/Wii player, for a PC gamer I doubt it will, but with people using blue-ray? ha.

this has to be the biggest waste of space if they are going to use one Blue-ray disc for this since Bioware introduced the PC user with an extra DL-DVD which had no use!

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
SaintWaldo said:
snip

Now that the backup utility and the data-migration utilities are full-featured enough to make a new HD _not_ a new PS3, I highly recommend you look into springing for a bigger HD. I think you can get a 120GB for ~$25 now. Especially since HD installs (arguably) help reduce wear on your optical drive.
Is there some kind of space cap on the size youre allowed to have? I think I read 250gig or something is the most you can have.
The PS3 uses the FAT32 system to format the drive, which has a volume size limit of 32TB and a file size limit of (4GB - 1 byte). http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463

You may have been confused with some posts about _returning_ a PS3 and that 250g is the biggest PS3 HD you can get that way, but you can put any standard SATA 3.5" drive up to 2TB in there and it will be fine. I think I read the formatter might stop at 2TB but that could always be fixed by firmware updates. My PS3 has a 320GB Western Digital in it, so, I can state for a FACT that it at least goes over 250GB. ;)

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Dexiro said:
Wow 10gb? I've only got 80gb and most of that's gone already.

I have a 1tb external harddrive, would it let me install to that?
No. But, if you have any movies, you can back them up (yes, one at a time now if needed) to your external HD. For storage only, not viewing (or taking to your buddy). You can also use that external to back up your whole system for transfer to a new, larger HD, which is what I did and recommend. ;)

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
Jiraiya72 said:
IamSofaKingRaw said:
I read this somewhere else like 3 days ago.

On topic though this is the best racing game to be released so I wold gladly give it that much space to make the experience smoother. Practicaly everyone has a 120gb harddrive or higher (thank God for switchable HDDs!) so thisshouldn't be a problem.
I have a launch ps3 and only about 18gigs of free space.
You canuse your computers hardrive for your ps3 if you choose. Hell people have 1tb HDDs by just buying the harddrive for $100 and putting it in their ps3.

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Size doesn't really matter since there isn't really a limit to how big of a PS3 hard drive you can have. Well other than how big they make laptop hard drives.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
Luckily I have recently acquired a replacement hard drive for my PS3 so I will be improving from 80GB to 320GB. Plenty of space on there me thinks.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
well, at least its optional... I hate mandatory installs =\

I think I'll see how long the loading screens are without installing it and seeing if its particularly bad... if they are, well, I have a 120 GB hard drive, so it might be pushing it a little for a single game, but its not impossible to install.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I thought one of the advantages of console gaming was not having to think about disc space and installs.

As a multiple console owner, I think I'll stick with Forza 3 thanks. Doesn't need an install to run at a decent loading time.

Looks like consoles are gaining a lot of the inconveniences of PC gaming without the perks.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
TelHybrid said:
I thought one of the advantages of console gaming was not having to think about disc space and installs.

As a multiple console owner, I think I'll stick with Forza 3 thanks. Doesn't need an install to run at a decent loading time.

Looks like consoles are gaining a lot of the inconveniences of PC gaming without the perks.
It is only a matter of time before installs are the norm for all consoles. As disks have more space developers will fill it up. They will have two options, long loads or installs, and as consoles are getting bigger HDDs with the options of upgrades (At least for the PS3 with any 2.5 inch drive) I tend to think it will be the latter.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
DazZ. said:
10GBs really isn't a huge amount, I don't understand why consoles haven't got bigger hard drives as standard yet.

An external 1TB HDD can cost a mere £60.
Um...I don't know what universe your from but 10 GBs is a pretty damn large amount for one game, a godamned racing game at that. Crysis needed only 2 GBs more than that for a full install on my PC.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
matrix3509 said:
DazZ. said:
10GBs really isn't a huge amount, I don't understand why consoles haven't got bigger hard drives as standard yet.

An external 1TB HDD can cost a mere £60.
Um...I don't know what universe your from but 10 GBs is a pretty damn large amount for one game, a godamned racing game at that. Crysis needed only 2 GBs more than that for a full install on my PC.
Never said it wasn't big for a game, I was stating from a hardware perspective, seeing as we have the hardware capable of such sizes at cheap prices I don't see why it should be an issue.

TF2 is larger than 10GB, as is WoW and a fair few other games, so this is nothing revolutionary, it shouldn't be an issue.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
By the time the thing installs, Gran Turismo 6 will be developed...then dropped...then developed.