Gran Turismo 5 Creator Recommends 10GB Install

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
The3Apocalypses said:
Blue Dragon is 19.9 GB
Lost Odyssey is 23.2 GB
Last Remnant is 12.7 GB
Infinite Undiscovery is 12.5 GB
And most of the rest are somewhere between 5 and 7 on the Xbox... so... this is news?
Because it's the PS3 or something?
Here, here!
It's news because it's unprecedented on the PS3 (and they have had install options since day 1) whereas on the Xbox although installing a game is relatively new, we (yes I have an Xbox.. don't flame me for being a fanboy) are used to installing large RPG's and as you accurately said most games come to about 6 or 7 gb anyway.

It's standard, we deal with it. End of.

mr_pants66

Oct 7, 2009
ha this is why i am glad i have a 500gb ps3 (i upgraded a 40gb fat) so this will be nothing to me i have 330gb of free space no loading for me

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That is one huge install...I know it has alot of stuff to come with it, but wow...thats, just...huge

Don't taze me bro

Feb 26, 2009
I've got a 40 gig PS3. Guess it's time to upgrade the HDD. On a different note, would a faster blu-ray drive in the PS3 alleviate the need for such a lengthy install? The advantage of a much lauded bluray storage capacity is moot is these installs will become the norm.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
jamesworkshop said:
CORRODED SIN said:
Khaiseri said:
Wow, are consoles turning themselves into a kind of PC that also needs to install games?
I don't think so. Installing games to a console isn't the way you have to play them, as it is for PC games. Installing a game to the HDD only makes it run better. The game runs faster, the console is quieter, and there is considerably less wear and tear on the console. I played CoD4 on my old 360 so much (before the update + 13GB HDD) that I burned out the disc drive. I got the MW2 console and install all my games on its 250GB HDD. The consoles are simply borrowing something from the PC and applying it for a different purpose.
No that sounds like the same purpose, also installing is good because you can fit more data on the disc as it can be decompressed with an algorithm that has better compression but not fast enought to be done in realtime.

Installing to a HDD is standard on the PC because every PC in the world is going to have a HDD, HDD on consoles is not a standard feature for either the Wii or 360 and HDD have only featured in this generation
I didn't think about that. I just assume every console has an HDD like a PC.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Mornelithe said:
jamesworkshop said:
Installing to a HDD is standard on the PC because every PC in the world is going to have a HDD, HDD on consoles is not a standard feature for either the Wii or 360 and HDD have only featured in this generation
Not to nitpick, but the PS2 did have a bay for an HDD also. My brother currently uses one for his PS2. Having the feature standard on the PS3 is definitely a benefit though, as it gives devs one more option, other than having to pull their hair out over lack of RAM.
It did have bay but no playstation 2 was sold with a HDD and nobody made game installs.
HDD is not a standard feature in consoles yet but it definatly will in the next gen

Jan 27, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
Depends if it requires installs between every race. That's just going to be overkill.
What on earth are you talking about? It'll perform the big install the first time you put the game in the drive and then that'll be it. No more installing after that.

Upgrading the PS3's drive is child's play. Anyone who's complaining about lack of space for a 10GB install should upgrade their drives. Cheap and easy.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Mornelithe said:
jamesworkshop said:
It did have bay but no playstation 2 was sold with a HDD and nobody made game installs.
HDD is not a standard feature in consoles yet but it definatly will in the next gen
Yeah that's true on the game installs.

But, HDD is definitely a standard feature on the PS3.
Sony has two competitors both of whom have higher unit sales, the most popular 7th generation console is the Wii with no internal HDD.
When 8th gen rolls around the HDD will deffinatly be a standard feature, then instals will be a standard feature considering even 2TB HDD are available today and barely any more expensive than 500GB ones.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Mornelithe said:
jamesworkshop said:
Sony has two competitors both of whom have higher unit sales, the most popular 7th generation console is the Wii with no internal HDD.
When 8th gen rolls around the HDD will deffinatly be a standard feature, then instals will be a standard feature considering even 2TB HDD are available today and barely any more expensive than 500GB ones.
Just because Microsoft and Nintendo screwed the pooch this gen on having HDD's standard, doesn't mean Sony shouldn't be recognized for what they offer. Microsoft especially should've realized less than 600Meg of RAM wouldn't suffice for games this gen, without an HD standard, hence the reason they decided to allow optional installs (can't be mandatory as not all 360's have HDD's).
Sony's HDD policy is sound however the console market is not just the playground of Sony and so for the console "market" (all three platforms) HDD are not a standard feature although they certainly will be next gen.
Both PS3 and 360 have 512MB of RAM the 360 has an aditional 10mb eDRAM chip both machines have more than enough RAM and has next to nothing to do with wether data is accessed from the optical drive or the HDD.

You are right the 360 has optional instals since the nXe dashboard update but that only reinforces the fact that HDD and Installs are not an industry wide feature, also the 360 has less need for installs the optical drive has faster I/O than the 2x bluray drive in the PS3 it's why the xbox360 sounds like a helicopter

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Shouldn't be a problem, I'm looking for this game. My darn PS3's memory is going to get full before too long. XD