Gran Turismo 5 Creator Recommends 10GB Install

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gran Turismo 5 Creator Recommends 10GB Install

The ideal way to play Gran Turismo 5 will require a big-time hard drive install.

Polyphony Digital has confirmed that there will be no mandatory install for flapping in the wind [http://www.amazon.com/Gran-Turismo-5-Playstation-3/dp/B002BSA1C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283113543&sr=8-1]. However, Polyphony boss Kazunori Yamauchi does recommend a hefty one for optimal game performance.

Hopefully most racing game fans have a sizable chunk of hard drive space free on their PlayStation 3s [http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-160-GB/dp/B003VUO6H4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1283113549&sr=8-1], because Yamauchi recently answered a question through his Twitter account where he recommended that players perform an optional 10GB install. Yamauchi tweeted that this install would give a "smooth play experience."

What he means exactly is unclear, as this information is from a short tweet, but he's likely referring to loading times. Gran Turismo has always been a game with plenty of menus that players swap through as they check out new cars and new races, which requires lots of data to be at the ready.

Yamauchi also said that the game will only require 256MB of data to run. Considering that other games with presumably less content than this massive racing beast require an install, this is somewhat surprising, but welcome. Sony's new slim model of the PlayStation 3 started at 120GB and was recently upgraded to 160GB, so 10GB isn't out of the question, but earlier PS3 purchasers with a 40GB, or god forbid a 20GB, may find themselves staring at loading screens if they can't free up some gigs.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/08/28/gt5_hard_drive_install/]

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
I read this somewhere else like 3 days ago.

On topic though this is the best racing game to be released so I wold gladly give it that much space to make the experience smoother. Practicaly everyone has a 120gb harddrive or higher (thank God for switchable HDDs!) so thisshouldn't be a problem.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
Most annoying thing with games are massive loading times.. it totally brakes the flow of the game..

so seems like an install it will be.. If the game does not go a duke nukem on us that is..

Drauden

Jun 2, 2010
Most games only take 500MB to 2GB, so space isn't a problem these days. If this was back in 2007 with 20GB HDD's however...

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
10GBs really isn't a huge amount, I don't understand why consoles haven't got bigger hard drives as standard yet.

An external 1TB HDD can cost a mere £60.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
IamSofaKingRaw said:

On topic though this is the best racing game to be released so I wold gladly give it that much space to make the experience smoother. Practicaly everyone has a 120gb harddrive or higher (thank God for switchable HDDs!) so thisshouldn't be a problem.
I have a launch ps3 and only about 18gigs of free space.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
1.21 GIGAWATTS!?

Sorry, I mean 10GB!!!! wow, thats quite a large chunk out of my hard disk, I may have to go and delete some stuff for this one.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
What are they going to use all that space for? It can't be environmental detail because the textures of the track look horrible.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Well, with the amount of content in the game, something like that was inevitable really.

Apr 28, 2008
Don't worry, if they're using one of the earlier ones they can just swap them for a PC hardrive, and use an external hard drive to transfer stuff. Its actually not that expensive.

I, for example, have a 400gb hard drive. So I'm goon on space for a long time.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Damn. I was planning to give it a rent but clearing 10 GB just for that...well I'll just have to delete some stuff I guess. Hate it when you rent a game and then wait ages for it to install only to realize the game sucks 5 minutes into it.

Atleast this won't suck...pretty sure. While I'm at it, I might aswell try to rent a steering wheel with it.

wooty said:
1.21 GIGAWATTS!?
What the hell is a Gigawatt? ;D
Nice touch.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Slightly good news is upgrading any PS3's hard drive is easy but more importantly, it is cheap.

PS3 uses standard 2.5-inch disk drives, you can buy them off the shelf from any company who makes them in any size, as a result of this open standard they are very competitively priced:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=fRp&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&q=2.5-inch%20hard%20drive%2C%20internal&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

Typical example 320GB for only $55. For contrast I do believe the 250GB hard drive (based on cheaper 3.5-inch tech) for the New Xbox 360 costs about $150... because it is proprietary and Microsoft can do that.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Ten gigabytes? HA!!! That's only 1/100 of my computer hard-drive! That's NOTHING!!!

...Oh, wait, we're talking about the PS3? Well...that's a different story.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Drauden said:
Most games only take 500MB to 2GB, so space isn't a problem these days. If this was back in 2007 with 20GB HDD's however...
It's usually way cheaper to buy an "old" PS3 with a small capacity then buy a separate internal hard drive and upgrade to the size you need. Launch date PS3 otherwise functions identically to a brand new Slim PS3.

If only Sony sold "blank" systems to load the Hard-drive of your size, reliability and price that you prefer. Since with what I suggested above you have a spare 20-60GB drive. Best put in a drive enclosure then used as USB-storage for an Xbox Arcade.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I upgraded my 60gb launch to 120, but I only have about 2Gb of space left on it. I may have to delete some of the recorded TV shows I have. PlayTV uses an awful lot of HDD memory for non HD video.

RetroViruses

Aug 7, 2008
Blue Dragon is 19.9 GB
Lost Odyssey is 23.2 GB
Last Remnant is 12.7 GB
Infinite Undiscovery is 12.5 GB
And most of the rest are somewhere between 5 and 7 on the Xbox... so... this is news?
Because it's the PS3 or something?

(source: http://www.bingegamer.net/2008/so-how-much-time-are-you-saving-xbox-360-nxe-hard-drive-install-chart/ )

RangerSERE

May 14, 2010
I use my PS3 for one, soon to be two, things: Madden and in the future this. I think ill be just fine with 10GB.

FlashHero

Apr 3, 2010
Thank god i don't care about this game..i only have a 20gig from wayyy back in 2007 and i have no room to install it..and i like to install my games.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
DazZ. said:
10GBs really isn't a huge amount, I don't understand why consoles haven't got bigger hard drives as standard yet.

An external 1TB HDD can cost a mere £60.
I got 2 TB for £30 from a friend who works at a warehouse. Seriously, they're not that expensive to make. I can't see why the PS4 and Xbox 720 shouldn't have 2TB hard drives.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Jiraiya72 said:
IamSofaKingRaw said:

On topic though this is the best racing game to be released so I wold gladly give it that much space to make the experience smoother. Practicaly everyone has a 120gb harddrive or higher (thank God for switchable HDDs!) so this shouldn't be a problem.
I have a launch ps3 and only about 18gigs of free space.
Now that the backup utility and the data-migration utilities are full-featured enough to make a new HD _not_ a new PS3, I highly recommend you look into springing for a bigger HD. I think you can get a 120GB for ~$25 now. Especially since HD installs (arguably) help reduce wear on your optical drive.