Gran Turismo 5 Sells 5.5 Million

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Gran Turismo 5 Sells 5.5 Million

Despite the release date slipping many times, Sony announced today that Gran Turismo 5 sold 5.5 million copies in just 12 days.

We were all worried that it might end up as vaporware. Gran Turismo 5 was originally hinted at in 2005 before the PlayStation 3 was even released. That console launched without a premiere racing title, and Sony kept releasing information that a Gran Turismo game was being developed. Then we got word of a release date for March 2010 in Japan, which was missed. Later, Sony said it would come out on November 2nd, but that date was also wrong. The game eventually made it to stores on November 24th, and the numbers that Sony released today proved that all that hullabaloo didn't hurt sales. As of December 6th, Gran Turismo 5 has sold 5.5 million copies, bringing the total sales of the entire series to more than 61 million worldwide.

The ninth installment of the series comes only 12 years after the first game was released in 1998. To put the total nmumbers sold in perspective, the Call of Duty series has sold around that many copies once you add in sales of Black Ops, but all of those sales are spread over all platforms while Gran Turismo has always been a PlayStation exclusive.

To sell all of those copies to only Sony PlayStation owners is quite an achievement. Perhaps the sequel that Polyphony Digital has already said they are working on will drive those sales up even more.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
Some of the sales numbers for the Gran Turismo franchise as a whole are a bit deceptive because of the massive amounts of 3 that were bundled with consoles. It is the same reason why many other bundled games show up way high on sales lists(I'm looking at you Wii Sports).

8-Bit Grin

Apr 20, 2010
Hmmm... I guess there's really no surprise in this statement.

People will continue buying a well known franchise, and having to wait a while to receive it won't deter them.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Proving further a name can sell anything.

the game it's self is crap, its seriously like a ps2 game modded with HDR.

War-hamster

Apr 5, 2010
I have only played the first GT on PS1. I loved it a lot. Glad that the series is still running strong, though I won't be able to play it for sure...

valerick80

Dec 10, 2010
We could perhaps change the title of this article to: "Sony Provides Meaningless Marketing Numbers, Gaming Site Parrots Them."

It's not like Sony not providing sell-through numbers is a new thing.

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
Greg Tito said:
The ninth installment of the series comes only 12 years after the first game was released in 1998. To put the total nmumbers sold in perspective,
umm.. >..>
FIX IT! :]

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
This being Sony, do they mean 'sold' or 'shipped'?

Haven't got round to buying it yet as Forza is still sitting on my shelf uncomplete.