Gran Turismo 5's Huge Install Can Be Completed As You Race

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I'm still not a big fan of forced install. I only have a 360 and only have a 20GB hard drive at school. A forced install of that nature would limit my game hopping to about 3 games at a time... not pleasing

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
Dioxide20 said:
40 minutes to install 6.4gb? Why?

I don't own a PS3, but I've installed plenty of games on my PC. Never has it taken 40 minutes to install 6.4gb.
Clearly you've never tried installing Battlefield 2 on your PC. That alone takes an hour and a half. Never mind the shit ton of patches.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I'd rather just have it sit there and install the thing in one go. I hated that crap in MGS4 where you had to wait for the install between sections. Sure it was only 2-3 minutes, but I never understood why we couldn't just opt to install all of them at once so we could just keep playing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SupahGamuh said:
Also, let's not forget that it's the very first system using the BD technology and maybe in the future that speed may increase significantly.
that's why I said it was expensive, not that it was impossible. BD Drives of 4X were already commercially available around the time of the PS3, but that would have made it even more prohibitively expensive or would have required Sony to go even more in the hole. Standalone BD players were going for like 1200 at the time, and while people bought them, a PS3 that went for more would have tanked instantly.

And yes, I know BD read speed is faster (base), but when you're dealing with 12X on DVD vs 2X on BD, it's still 16 Megs a second to 9. Almost double the data transfer.

There still seems to be some discrepancy, since I've never seen a 7 GB (I'm rounding up for convenience) game take 20 minutes for a full install on a 360. For a reported 40+ minute wait, you would expect that to be the rough analogue.

Games do seem to install a touch slower on the PS3, though, so there may also be another mitigating factor. Still, almost twice the trasnfer speed is a big chunk of why it takes longer on the PS3.

That being said, it will change by next gen and BD will be an awesome medium. The big problem is that the next gen may be as much as five years off, so unless Sony lets us swap drives, we're stuck with the 2X from launch.

2up

Jun 15, 2009
Good to know the 40 minute install is optional. Personally, I'm going ahead with the install. I still can't believe its releasing in less than a week.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
Skopintsev said:
Dioxide20 said:
40 minutes to install 6.4gb? Why?

I don't own a PS3, but I've installed plenty of games on my PC. Never has it taken 40 minutes to install 6.4gb.
Clearly you've never tried installing Battlefield 2 on your PC. That alone takes an hour and a half. Never mind the shit ton of patches.
Steam install, took about 20 minutes, but I'm not sure that counts. You can't factor in patches, as GT5 won't install patches while you are installing to the PS3 hard drive.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
SupahGamuh said:
Also, let's not forget that it's the very first system using the BD technology and maybe in the future that speed may increase significantly.
that's why I said it was expensive, not that it was impossible. BD Drives of 4X were already commercially available around the time of the PS3, but that would have made it even more prohibitively expensive or would have required Sony to go even more in the hole. Standalone BD players were going for like 1200 at the time, and while people bought them, a PS3 that went for more would have tanked instantly.

And yes, I know BD read speed is faster (base), but when you're dealing with 12X on DVD vs 2X on BD, it's still 16 Megs a second to 9. Almost double the data transfer.

There still seems to be some discrepancy, since I've never seen a 7 GB (I'm rounding up for convenience) game take 20 minutes for a full install on a 360. For a reported 40+ minute wait, you would expect that to be the rough analogue.

Games do seem to install a touch slower on the PS3, though, so there may also be another mitigating factor. Still, almost twice the trasnfer speed is a big chunk of why it takes longer on the PS3.

That being said, it will change by next gen and BD will be an awesome medium. The big problem is that the next gen may be as much as five years off, so unless Sony lets us swap drives, we're stuck with the 2X from launch.
yea sony was taking a huge hit when the ps3 came out that blu ray drive cost a fortune to cram in the thing, even base line cheap blu ray players cost 600+ dollars when the ps3 launched. so it is understandable that no company on earth would cramp a 1200 or 1400 dollar 4 or 6 x state of the art br drive into their 499 dollar console box, sony was already hemmoraging cash from the ps3 just due to the cost of the components period.

so while it is a easy ZOMG sony SUX why did they not put a 12x br drive in it!? stupid lame ass ps3 install times, troll posts. on paper it is clear as day way they had to put a 2x drive in.

alot of game are skipping the install anyway on ps3 anymore, and i guess it remains to be see how the micro load system works, i mean if it is 20 to 30 seconds faster load per track and a dozen seconds faster load per car well hells yea full install is the way to go look out my poor 40 gig ps3 drive its time to do some spring cleaning, pre christmas. if it is a few seconds here and there well then i would be more inclined to just skip the install entirely and just think about jessica alba or something along those lines while the thing took a bit longer to load various bits and pieces.

and i think it will be a definate skip the day i get the game if anything that will be play gt5 till my eyes bleed the moment i get home, set the thing to install while i pass out for sleep.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
This is a neat idea but I would simply wait for it to install. Damn this game looks awesome and I'm not even a big racing fan.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
mjc0961 said:
I'd rather just have it sit there and install the thing in one go. I hated that crap in MGS4 where you had to wait for the install between sections. Sure it was only 2-3 minutes, but I never understood why we couldn't just opt to install all of them at once so we could just keep playing.

Because those install screens were fackeen oresome.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
LegendaryGamer0 said:
mjc0961 said:

Because those install screens were fackeen oresome.

The weird thing about the MGS4 installs is that you have to keep doing them on subsequent playthroughs. The data doesn't seem to stay permanently installed. And if you're loading a save from a different Act, that Act has to install.

Ghostbody

Jun 10, 2008
Personally, I don't mind the wait. I understand that it is going to take it a while but I think it is worth it. I know that the 360 owners are shitting themselves in glee the matter that they don't have to worry really about installs but hey I'm just going to stick with it for the moment.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Cool. Console games have officially become PC ones.
(Well, ok, suppose they did that back around the DMC time)

Maybe it's just that Sony like to dick around and make you wait. Purposefully crippling their otherwise great hardware and software - and on occasion, other people's that you connect to theirs - is something of a forte for them after all.

I can't see the "lower than PC" RAM size (you won't find HDDs with 256mb buffers, and I've shoved stuff on and off CD faster than that with a 128mb PC) or smaller, slower (PATA based?) hard disk being an issue (4.5mb has been sloooowww for HDs for a very long time)... nor the BD transfer rate for the medium size install (4.5mb/s = 6.5gb in 25 minutes) - but maybe for the larger one (10gb = a little under 40 mins). It does sound rather disappointing though, is that figure correct? It's about the same as 3.3x DVD, or not a great deal more than original PS2 speed (or in other words - about 30x CD speed. Yeah. 4.5mb/s isn't even as fast, on average, as a "52x max" (ie 21-52x) PC CDROM from 10 years ago). One would hope they'd do the smart thing and make it a nice big single-chunk image file (or, say, no smaller than 32mb per chunk... or lots of small files but all laid out sequentially on the physical disk so the head doesn't have to jump around)... but hell, it's Sony. I've played GTs 2 thru 4 already. That laser head is going to be blurring back and forth like Speedy Gonzalez on his wedding night.

I wonder how they'll carry out the incremental loading though? Best case scenario: it's "written through" to the hard disk at the same time as reading into memory, old skool cache-style, with no performance penalty - first time you play the game/a certain car or track, it's like you're playing the minimum install. After that, it's faster. I have a feeling it's going to be more like you put it in... and have a minute where it loads up from disk, then an annoying pause where it dumps what it's read onto the HDD. Twice. Accomplishing the 256mb minimum. Then a similar performance for every new car, track or whatever. Load load load... *pregnant pause where you'd think it's locked up except for the hard disk thrashing*... repeat... play... (GT has never been strong on informative or entertaining load screens).

However I do support the general idea of it. There's so much stuff in a typical GT game, including tons of useless crap (fifty different iterations of the same brown-paper-bag japanese salaryman family car / 8 variations of a rather naff racetrack known nowhere out of japan / tons of meaningless photo travel destinations - i'm looking at you guys) that will likely never get loaded, it seems a total waste of time and disk space to install it upfront.

Still my strategy would be to chuck it in the console and just do something else for a half hour. It's not that difficult.
Besides, you ungrateful buggers could be back in the 90s installing hilariously multimedia-heavy titles off 2x CD drives onto hard disks barely large enough to hold them (oh hai, Final Fantasy 7) or 10+ mb games/applications off floppy disk (easy mode: dos 6 + win 3.1; medium: Works or Doom II; hard: Descent, Hexen, Quake; nightmare: win95, office, GTA)... never mind the 15 minutes every single time grind of the tape-loader 80s. :)

(Hell I'm currently in the middle of transferring 600+ Gb of stuff from a damaged terabyte drive to a new 2tb one. Both on the same USB2 bus as it's a laptop. This shiz's going to run overnight. It's no big - once it's on there, it's on for good)

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Comparing them to MGS4 installs isnt' a good idea since that's what keeps me from playing that game again. The ridiculous installs, can I just install the whole game and be done with it vs installing the levels every damn time?

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Rusty Bucket said:
...the install will instead be a still huge 6.4GB. This install can reportedly take 40 minutes or longer to complete.
How does it take that long? A 360 does that exact size install in about 10-15 minutes.

Yeah, but only one game has a significant boost after installing, Halo Reach, PS3 games install because of how the processor works. If they didn't install most would run like crap, I don't know what they did with God of War 3 though, since it had no install.

Danish rage

Sep 26, 2010
7 gigs takes about 5 minutes.

And 6.4 isn´t a HUGE install.

I would like to be so important that i don´t have that kind of time.