Gran Turismo 6 Review - Roving Around the Moon

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
Gran Turismo 6 Review - Roving Around the Moon

One of the best Gran Turismos on offer.

Read Full Article

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
What do you need to do to unlock the ability to drive around on the Moon?

I've not found how to race on there yet.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
So the microtransactions are purely to buy in game cash?

Ok, I can live with that - I'll never use it, but it isn't locking me out of stuff.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Your earliest gaming memory was gran turismo 3? So weird to hear that. I didn't even know this one was coming out though.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Mr.Pandah said:
Your earliest gaming memory was gran turismo 3? So weird to hear that. I didn't even know this one was coming out though.
That sounded weird to me too. I immediately thought, 'How old are you?', or rather 'How young' but it's probably just me getting old(er).
Anyway, I've spend a lot of time on GT2 in its time and loved it but didn't really dig into a Gran Turismo game since that. Now I'm wondering if I should get this latest addition to the series. From what I get from the review it's a great iteration. On the other side, there is this backlog of unplayed games on my HD. (Damn you, PS+!)

PS: Good read

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
I love my some GT, but I'm still pretty happy with 5 at the moment. The kicker might be if I start seeing videos and the cars don't sound like vacuum cleaners any longer, that might make me buy it. Until then, nah, I'm good with GT5.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Reynaert said:
Mr.Pandah said:
That sounded weird to me too. I immediately thought, 'How old are you?', or rather 'How young' but it's probably just me getting old(er).
Anyway, I've spend a lot of time on GT2 in its time and loved it but didn't really dig into a Gran Turismo game since that. Now I'm wondering if I should get this latest addition to the series. From what I get from the review it's a great iteration. On the other side, there is this backlog of unplayed games on my HD. (Damn you, PS+!)

PS: Good read
Definitely was a "how young?" Then I re-read it and saw roommate...then said "How old...?" Now I'm just confused.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
Love the game so far, I've been a GT fan since GT1. It's not a big leap from GT5, but there are some subtle improvements. The handling is slightly improved, the cars seems to behave more predictably at the limit, but that's it.

tangoprime said:
I love my some GT, but I'm still pretty happy with 5 at the moment. The kicker might be if I start seeing videos and the cars don't sound like vacuum cleaners any longer, that might make me buy it. Until then, nah, I'm good with GT5.
The cars still sounds like they do in GT5.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
Mr.Pandah said:
Definitely was a "how young?" Then I re-read it and saw roommate...then said "How old...?" Now I'm just confused.
I didn't even take the roommate-part in consideration until now. The plot thickens. Boarding school?

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
awdrifter said:
Love the game so far, I've been a GT fan since GT1. It's not a big leap from GT5, but there are some subtle improvements. The handling is slightly improved, the cars seems to behave more predictably at the limit, but that's it.

tangoprime said:
Yeah, I definitely enjoyed the subtle handling differences when I played the last GT Academy that used the physics from GT6, and I heard they're going to patch in newer sounds they're working on later- so we'll see how that plays out. I've had every GT since the first too, but I'd like to see more about this one before I commit.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Published by 505 Games..? um... Isn't Sony the publisher? I mean they do own the series.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
tangoprime said:
awdrifter said:

tangoprime said:
Yeah, I definitely enjoyed the subtle handling differences when I played the last GT Academy that used the physics from GT6, and I heard they're going to patch in newer sounds they're working on later- so we'll see how that plays out. I've had every GT since the first too, but I'd like to see more about this one before I commit.
I've only had it for a few hours now, but I can safely say that aside from just improving the physics, changing the rendering engine, and adding all of those different technical tweaks, it's also already a much, much better GAME than 5 was. I liked 5 for the most part, but things like the constant experience and money grinding (until seasonals became a thing anyway), as well as the terrible UI, load times, rotating used car dealership, etc. really kind of ruined the whole thing for me. I'd come back to it now and then to play some more, but I could never find the motivation to put up with that stuff and stick with it for very long like I did with earlier games. But GT6 has fixed pretty much every problem I had with the game side of things, and some problems I never even noticed I had before, but seem obvious when they're not there anymore (just as an example, you can pick the colour of prize cars now. Never occurred to me before but now that it's there I'm wondering why it didn't happen years ago).

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Thing is they have that crappy premium cars bullshit again. Most of them will look like crap and shoddy. What about not having 300 Subarus that all look similar, and stick to making all the cars look premium. Its quality over quantity that better.

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
My copy was supposed to arrive today, but it didn't (damn you postal service!)... And I had such great plans for the weekend :(

Well, Monday then.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Do we earn enough cash through gameplay to buy cars reasonably frequently, or is the game basically forcing us to pony up more cash?

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
I have read a few reviews of GT6 and can't quite believe some of the scores I'm seeing. Despite all the criticisms around audio, damage modelling, clumsy AI, rubber banding, premium v standard cars and so on, the game still manages to garner 80%+ scores. I don't get it. They read more Ike 6/10 but because the handling and physics are great, all is forgiven. I realise that driving games are about driving, but I don't think I could enjoy a game that had so many other apparent deficiencies. Hell, just those unbearably hideous engine notes (angry bees in a tube) are enough to put me off. Still, I hope others are having fun :)

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
svenjl said:
I have read a few reviews of GT6 and can't quite believe some of the scores I'm seeing. Despite all the criticisms around audio, damage modelling, clumsy AI, rubber banding, premium v standard cars and so on, the game still manages to garner 80%+ scores. I don't get it. They read more Ike 6/10 but because the handling and physics are great, all is forgiven. I realise that driving games are about driving, but I don't think I could enjoy a game that had so many other apparent deficiencies. Hell, just those unbearably hideous engine notes (angry bees in a tube) are enough to put me off. Still, I hope others are having fun :)
I think that is because Gran Turismo is about three things you, the car and the road and how these react to each other. This game isn't about crashing it's about driving, it's all focused on the driving. I don't know about the engine sounds, if they're not good I hope they can fix it.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
No new Citroens introduced (yeah, I'm a massive Citro fanboy), and more than half of the models still are hand-me-downs from GT4(!). Not fatal, but I'm sort of a sad panda to see this.
Also the used cars market is no more so you won't have to hunt for some obscure models. That's a good thing, I guess, but I really loved that collecting aspect of GT5.