Gran Turismo 6 Review - Roving Around the Moon

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
License tests are back, which is fine. The Coffee Break min-games are as well. The Used Car Dealership is gone, and the Track Generator also got the axe (which makes me saddy waddy).
The handling feels good, though too many tutorials and babysitting things are on at the start (can easily be fixed, but is minorly annoying to GT vets like me).

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
JustanotherGamer said:
Arina Love said:
Been playing it for about 5 hours now and i like what i've played.
Did they bring back the licences like they were in GT 1&2?

I don't mind the micro transactions as long as they haven't made the car prices way ott to try and get us to buy it instead of earn it.
Car prices and payout + progression is exactly the same as GT5, meaning once you get in to higher tier races you have no problem grinding any car you want.

As for licenses single player is split in to categories (N,B,A,IB,IA,S as far as i remember) when you get certain amount of stars from races in that category you will unlock license tests to get in to higher category, you get a car for completing test + you get another usually much better car for getting all golds .

Neta

Aug 22, 2013
Neta said:
What do you need to do to unlock the ability to drive around on the Moon?

I've not found how to race on there yet.
Never mind. I found it out for myself.

You have to complete the 2nd License test.

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
Reynaert said:
svenjl said:
I have read a few reviews of GT6 and can't quite believe some of the scores I'm seeing. Despite all the criticisms around audio, damage modelling, clumsy AI, rubber banding, premium v standard cars and so on, the game still manages to garner 80%+ scores. I don't get it. They read more Ike 6/10 but because the handling and physics are great, all is forgiven. I realise that driving games are about driving, but I don't think I could enjoy a game that had so many other apparent deficiencies. Hell, just those unbearably hideous engine notes (angry bees in a tube) are enough to put me off. Still, I hope others are having fun :)
I think that is because Gran Turismo is about three things you, the car and the road and how these react to each other. This game isn't about crashing it's about driving, it's all focused on the driving. I don't know about the engine sounds, if they're not good I hope they can fix it.
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love the driving aspect of car related games otherwise I wouldn't play them! I think you're oversimplifying my point though. My issue isn't that the game has one particular "fault" or omission, it's that there appear to be a number of issues that for most other games would render them a frustrating disappointment. I know PD has a great pedigree in terms of handling and physics, but I find it hard to be sold on the whole package of GT5 or 6. Games like Racedriver GRID and NFS Shift (don't roll your eyes young man), while not simulators, provided great content and heaps of fun, energetic racing. The racing elements in games like GT and Forza are mediocre in my opinion, and while the cars selections are phenomenal, I eventually get bored. At least in a game like Forza 4, you get a great overall package - highly detailed cars (ALL cars, not just "premium") and customisation options, great audio quality, visual and mechanical damage etc. I'm not going to get Forza 5 because it seems like an indefensible step backwards in terms of content.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
tangoprime said:
awdrifter said:
Love the game so far, I've been a GT fan since GT1. It's not a big leap from GT5, but there are some subtle improvements. The handling is slightly improved, the cars seems to behave more predictably at the limit, but that's it.

tangoprime said:
I love my some GT, but I'm still pretty happy with 5 at the moment. The kicker might be if I start seeing videos and the cars don't sound like vacuum cleaners any longer, that might make me buy it. Until then, nah, I'm good with GT5.
The cars still sounds like they do in GT5.
Yeah, I definitely enjoyed the subtle handling differences when I played the last GT Academy that used the physics from GT6, and I heard they're going to patch in newer sounds they're working on later- so we'll see how that plays out. I've had every GT since the first too, but I'd like to see more about this one before I commit.
I played it a little bit more and it really seems like the PP calculation system is broken for tuned cars vs race cars in GT6. The damn Ford GT LM car is winning everything (I have the gift car Highend Performance G37 tuned to whatever limit the races were), that really wasn't the case in GT5. I hope they fix this in later patches.

Also it seems like they removed the B-Spec mode, no doubt to increase the sales of the in game microtransactions.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
svenjl said:
Yeah, don't get me wrong, I love the driving aspect of car related games otherwise I wouldn't play them! I think you're oversimplifying my point though. My issue isn't that the game has one particular "fault" or omission, it's that there appear to be a number of issues that for most other games would render them a frustrating disappointment. I know PD has a great pedigree in terms of handling and physics, but I find it hard to be sold on the whole package of GT5 or 6. Games like Racedriver GRID and NFS Shift (don't roll your eyes young man), while not simulators, provided great content and heaps of fun, energetic racing. The racing elements in games like GT and Forza are mediocre in my opinion, and while the cars selections are phenomenal, I eventually get bored. At least in a game like Forza 4, you get a great overall package - highly detailed cars (ALL cars, not just "premium") and customisation options, great audio quality, visual and mechanical damage etc. I'm not going to get Forza 5 because it seems like an indefensible step backwards in terms of content.
I like games like GRID and Midnight Club too but to me it's almost a different genre. I enjoy those games for a different reason than I do GT or Forza. That's why for me it doesn't make sense to compare them to much to each other and GT doesn't get punished so hard for missing the features those other racing games do have.

svenjl

Mar 16, 2011
Reynaert said:
svenjl said:
I like games like GRID and Midnight Club too but to me it's almost a different genre. I enjoy those games for a different reason than I do GT or Forza. That's why for me it doesn't make sense to compare them to much to each other and GT doesn't get punished so hard for missing the features those other racing games do have.
I understand - it wasn't my intention to directly compare the two types of games. I agree that they're in separate, distinct categories.. I guess I'm disappointed that in GT6 and Forza 5 there seem to be games that are not as fully featured and complete in terms of content as older arcade racing games. Yes, there is much greater depth in relation to driving in a simulation sense, but aren't we getting short-changed a little if it takes months of patching and DLC to get the sort of content and quality that GT and Forza aspire to? Battlefield 4 is another prime example. And, although I haven't played it, NFS Rivals doesn't seem to be anything new or even evolutionary, never mind revolutionary. Anyway, back to driving/racing games, the last one I really enjoyed from start to finish was Driver San Francisco which was about as arcade as they come but mad fun to play. It was unique.

Reynaert

Jan 30, 2011
svenjl said:
Yes, there is much greater depth in relation to driving in a simulation sense, but aren't we getting short-changed a little if it takes months of patching and DLC to get the sort of content and quality that GT and Forza aspire to?
Yes, we are. Those practices are the bane of video gaming nowadays.
Have you ever tried Stuntman? That was a fun game where you drive cars and other things.

awdrifter

Apr 1, 2011
Microtransactions is the cancer of the gaming industry, GT6 has been infected with it. I have unlocked the IA races and you basically need a $3.5 mil race car for some of the races. But they removed B Spec mode and halfed the prize money for the Indy Motor Speedway race. This is definitely a move to force people to buy in-game credits. I have been playing GT since GT1, I bought my PS3 for GT5, but if GT7 has microtransactions I will stop buying it and I hope many others will do the same. This microtransaction BS has to die!