Gran Turismo Creator Would "Love" to Leave Series Behind

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Gran Turismo Creator Would "Love" to Leave Series Behind

Kazunori Yamauchi really wouldn't mind working on something that didn't involve cars for once.

Polyphony Digital CEO Kazunori Yamauchi has spent more than 15 years working on the Gran Turismo [http://www.amazon.com/Gran-Turismo-5-Playstation-3/dp/B002BSA1C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290529321&sr=8-1] series, which will see its fifth entry finally released on November 24. In an interview with NowGamer, Yamauchi emphasizes that he enjoys working on Gran Turismo, but would "love" to work on something else too.

Yamauchi, 43, starting working on the original Gran Turismo [http://www.amazon.com/Gran-Turismo-Playstation/dp/B00000DMAU/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1290530495&sr=1-6] for the PlayStation when he was 25. At the time, he had "maybe 50 kilometers" of driving experience. Today, he knows driving, cars, and racing better than most people on the planet. His obsession with the racing genre has come in handy, generating millions of copies sold for Gran Turismo, but at the same time Yamauchi feels like he may be "missing out" on other things.

He looks at games like Killzone 2 [http://www.amazon.com/LittleBigPlanet-2-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0K780/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290529842&sr=8-2] and thinks: "'Oh, wow, so this is what they're doing with games these days.'" Meanwhile, he's off driving a Lexus IS-F Race Car somewhere, the poor guy.

When asked if he would make something other than Gran Turismo someday, Yamauchi said: "Well, since you ask, I will say that there are no plans, though I certainly have ideas for new games all the time. Every day. I really, really would love to try making some other type of game.

"

Yamauchi admits that Gran Turmiso may have become his life. "Making Gran Turismo is a lot of fun, really, though maybe I've missed out on a lot of things by working so hard on Gran Turismo," he added. Yamauchi apparently won't get a break either, with Gran Turismo 6's development already being discussed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105021-Polyphony-Already-Working-on-Gran-Turismo-6]. If Yamauchi ever did want to escape from Gran Turismo, at least he has the getaway vehicles to do it with.

Source: NowGamer [http://www.nowgamer.com/features/446/exclusive-in-depth-gran-turismo-5-interview]

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
WAIT WAIT WAIT! THis coming from the man who said he wouldn't be fucknig happy until he created the perfect racing SIM?

Someone has ADD

Dec 14, 2009
I think anyone would want a change of scenery after working that long on a franchise, especially one as boring realistic as GT.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
With the sixth entryin the series in early stages od discussion, i guess he´s gonna stick to this franchise a while longer. But i´d like to see him try a different genre with the same dedication he has to GT.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Maybe he should try an ultra realistic hack n slash.

He can lovingly render every amputated body part and drop of blood.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
marcogodinho said:
With the sixth entryin the series in early stages od discussion, i guess he´s gonna stick to this franchise a while longer. Nut i´d like to see him try a different genre with the same dedication he has to GT.
I dunno, that might be scary. I mean if the guy has spent thousands upon thousands of hours driving for GT imagine what he'd have to do for a shooter or fighting game...

Tom Goldman said:
He looks at games like LittleBigPlanet and Killzone 2 and thinks: "'Oh, wow, so this is what they're doing with games these days.'" Meanwhile, he's off driving a Lexus IS-F Race Car somewhere, the poor guy.
This made me laugh so fucking hard.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I think anyone would want a change of scenary after working that long on a franchise, especially one as boring realistic as GT.
Join the club. I'd totally want a change of scenery.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
mindlesspuppet said:
marcogodinho said:
With the sixth entryin the series in early stages od discussion, i guess he´s gonna stick to this franchise a while longer. Nut i´d like to see him try a different genre with the same dedication he has to GT.
I dunno, that might be scary. I mean if the guy has spent thousands upon thousands of hours driving for GT imagine what he'd have to do for a shooter or fighting game...
Well, i guess he´d get his ass kicked really hard...or he might die. But, c´mon! It would make an awesome game. It´d be totally worth it! :p

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
SomethingAmazing said:
Celtic_Kerr said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT! THis coming from the man who said he wouldn't be fucknig happy until he created the perfect racing SIM?

Someone has ADD
ADD for wanting to try something new after 15 years?

WTF.
No, ADD for him saying that he's jumping the gun on GT6 after GT5 hasn't even come out yet, then him saying he wants GT6 to be abosoltly perfect, then saying he wants to get away from cars

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
it looks like you're misrepresenting what he said there.

He said that he'd like to try something else someday, nowhere there did he say didn't want to continue working on GT series, he (realistically) comments that doing one series for his career means he may have missed some things, which is natural, but not necessarily implies he regrets working so hard for so long, If anything, he seems a little bit proud of what he has done.

saying "I want to try something else" DOES NOT EQUAL "I want to stop doing what I have been doing"

2up

Jun 15, 2009
I just read the actual interview. Kazunori never mentions anything about wanting to leave the series behind. He said, 'I really would love to try making some other type of game.' How does that translate to he would love to leave the series behind?

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
2up said:
I just read the actual interview. Kazunori never mentions anything about wanting to leave the series behind. He said, 'I really would love to try making some other type of game.' How does that translate to he would love to leave the series behind?
indeed, misreport to get attention much?