Gran Tursimo 5 Servers Go Offline, DLC Gone Forever

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
YOU CANNOT ALLOW THE PUBLISHERS THIS KIND OF CONTROL OVER YOUR PROPERTY! GAMES ARE NOT A SERVICE JUST BECAUSE PUBLISHERS WANT THEM TO BE. DON'T BUY INTO THEIR CRAP!
We're going to have a hard time changing that so long as you're buying a license and not a copy of a game under the law.

One of the many reasons that IP law needs to be drastically overhauled.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
KingsGambit said:
Give us back privately hosted servers on the PC, arseholes. I hate that they can flip a switch and kill a game like this. Why do console gamers give these people money?
Because they haven't seen the light of the master race and converted. But soon they will.

They will.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
rofltehcat said:
well, if the future of gaming is indeed games as a service rather than a product, then part of that is indeed them somewhen cancelling their service so you buy into their next service.
I don't like it but I fear this is what it will sadly come to as a general business practice. A better solution would be keeping it online, obviously.

I just wonder how big the outcry will be when that one rather recent racing game with the very expensive DLC cars does the same. (can't remember its name)
Exactly. They need to try doing this to a really popular game. Maybe that will provoke enough of an outcry for them to reconsider shit like this.

Otherwise I guess I'm going to stick to DRM free games.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Sony is pathetic for all these server shut downs for games which aren't that old really.

Meanwhile Forza 2 servers are still online.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So now the only way to get these will be the illegal way (downloading). well done Sony, you just ran your fans into piracy.

Vivi22 said:
One of the many reasons that IP law needs to be drastically overhauled.
There is no IP law. IP isnt even a real word actually. We got copyright, patent and trademark laws, which do need to be overhauled.
There is no IP law. "intelectual property" is a madeup buzzword.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Here it is. The future of gaming.

I'm already wondering what the outcry will be like if something like Mass Effect loses all of its DLC.
Already happened. Can't get the Sky is Falling DLC any more so now I can't get my old save games to work since I had to reinstall my OS since they took it offline.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Strazdas said:
There is no IP law. IP isnt even a real word actually. We got copyright, patent and trademark laws, which do need to be overhauled.
There is no IP law. "intelectual property" is a madeup buzzword.
Spot on. Its nice to see i am not the only one who understand this :).

This is totally pathetic, 3 years? If you are going to do that i think you should let everyone who has a copy download the DLC for free in one package, all of it, at least then they can get the most out of the product that they own.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
I recently found out (due to a service outage) that the DLC on Castlestorm goes away without a connection even if your console is the same one you downloaded it on. I even redownloaded it after I got my internet back to test it and I still lost the DLC.

So, I kinda figured that this would happen to a major game at some point as well.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
alj said:
Spot on. Its nice to see i am not the only one who understand this :).

This is totally pathetic, 3 years? If you are going to do that i think you should let everyone who has a copy download the DLC for free in one package, all of it, at least then they can get the most out of the product that they own.
yes, there seems to be a few people with this mindset at the escapist at least. Not always get heard though.

I think i read a quite nice proposal for these situations that could be ammended into copyright laws when (if) we ever overhaul them. A company should support the product or let others do that. This means that if a company refuses to sell thep roduct/hold servers/ect others should be allowed to legally provide these services for the players and it would not be considered copyright infringement. Sort of like how patent abandonment works but with copyright. Of course there needs to be a timeframe set for company to take action if they plan to or something, but it shouldnt be something completely crazy like our current 95 years of copyright.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
anyone passionate about GT already jumped ship to GT6 (a superior product in every way possible) , this is non issue.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Here it is. The future of gaming.

I'm already wondering what the outcry will be like if something like Mass Effect loses all of its DLC.
The future of gaming? Pfft. This has been happening for a while now. Monster Hunter on the PS2 was one of the first to rip online server out of the game.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
If I were petty, I would say something sarcastic like "So, removing DLC and shutting down servers to make people buy the new game is 'for the players', huh?".

I'm not that petty, though, but it's still pretty stupid that the servers shut down so quickly.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
It's going to be like the great Ebay Flappy Bird invasion of 2014 all over again. "PS3 W/ALL GT5 DLC!" L@@K! ONLY $83,000!

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
This is old news that was announced way back in December. For the record it was announced alongside the closure of the Resistance: Fall of Man, Resistance 2 and Resistance 3 servers if that bothers anyone.

Honestly, I don't get the outrage. Or the outrage from PC gamers on their pedestal's. EA could do the same to any of their games on Origin. Servers can go down on any platform and DLC can be removed. It's not console specific.

Here's EA's list which includes PC games: http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

I know 3 years is not a lot, but this is really over the top. 2K shutdown the servers for their yearly franchise NBA2k and NBA2k13 servers SHUT DOWN IN NOVERMBER!

How long as that been out?

I never buy digital for the record. Not on my consoles or my PC. Pains me greatly to use Steam.