Grand Theft Auto 5 Review - People Suck

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Grand Theft Auto 5 Review - People Suck

You can?t deny the game?s achievements, but the writing will push you away.

Read Full Article

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Oh boy, not a perfect score, this is not gonna end well I fear.

EVERYONE, TAKE SHELTER.

EDIT:
Just one thing I forgot to add: So "killing not being fun but actually unpleasant" is NOT pushing the boundaries of video-games?
Are you saying that we should STRIVE for mindless run-and-gun violence in video-games instead of an immersive experience with a narrative that actually gives killing some wheight?

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
That's a shame. And I was worried that the storyline would go that way. Still, worth a look I suppose in a couple of weeks but now I'm in no hurry for it.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Oh boy, this is gonna end well.

Guys, just remember. A 3.5 out of 5 translates to a 7 out of 10. A 7 out of 10 is still pretty good, you know.

maniacfox

Apr 16, 2012
I think you are missing the point, the original GTA was purely that. A scumbag criminal who would do anything for $$$, so in that sense, in my mind anyway, it is getting back to the original ethos of the game. As much as I like a good story I found the more cut scenes I had to sit through in GTA IV, the less I cared about the story. It's about balance, so I will be curious to see how this game pans out.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Ooh, 3.5

Incoming flame war, no opinions allowed.

Edit: So basically it's Saint's Row 3 but with none of the wackiness? That may not necessarily be a bad thing, may check out when PC version comes out.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Oh man, just criminals with no real motivation? Good review, that does ding it for me.

Considering how often I stop playing and just cruise around though, it may not concern me that much.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Interesting review, thanks. Hadn't expected it to be criticised in this manner. Will await hopeful PC release and then decide whether it's worth full-price purchase or is Steam sale material.

Jim Sterling gave it 9/10 on Destructoid, obviously Greg Tito doesn't know what he's talking about!!!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
And a tough week for the mods gets even harder. XD

But the criticisms that you've made sound valid enough, so I can't particularly fault the score you gave it, at least until I get round to trying the game out myself.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Question, IS there some sort of Checkpoint system with the missions?

If not, I'm going to skip this game all together.
I HATE having to drive for 10 minutes to the same fucking place, with the same fucking dialogue, for the 4th fucking time, because I got shot while I was trying to find cover, but instead just bumped into stuff in GTA 4.

odolwa99

May 11, 2013
How do you expect to tell a story about a good man when, at any given moment, the player has driven down a sidewalk in an oil tanker, ploughing through pedestrians and hurling molotovs at grannies on the other side of the street...?

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Thanks for an honest review, Greg. I, of course, haven't played the game yet but just seeing footage of it and hearing about it gave me the same impression you've come to after your time with the game. On a technical level, it may be a game I could see myself playing and enjoying, but I just don't want to play it. Take Rockstar's recent penchant for super dramatized and ponderous stories and add in characters I would never want to embody and you have a game that just doesn't interest me at all even if it has many other values.

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
So, they addressed the ludonarrative dissonance from the previous titles by actually making the characters terrible people. I don't see a problem there. Niko was especially weird to play as. I don't see why I should think the characters in GTA have any motivation for doing terrible things because I'll spend most of my time doing really terrible things for no good reason. The games have always about creating mayhem and seeing how the game reacts to the terrible things you do. Matching the characters to the gameplay should be a good thing.

I guess they could have gone the Red Dead route. I actually played that game as a "good" guy because John Marshton was a "good" man.

It seems like the score is based too heavily on the game being a movie that you didn't like very much because you couldn't care about the reprehensible characters. But this is a game about being reprehensible. It sounded like the game part was great.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Sassafrass said:
Oh boy, this is gonna end well.

Guys, just remember. A 3.5 out of 5 translates to a 7 out of 10. A 7 out of 10 is still pretty good, you know.
This is the internet and the gaming industry my old friend, so obviously if anything is below a 9/10 then it's the worst game ever and the review was completely unfair and biased so the reviewer must be burned. XD

OT: I've been watching a playthrough of the game on Game Anyone for the last couple of days (the person doing it received a reviewer's copy of the game) and it does look decent, but then again I never really thought that GTA IV was a 9/10 game per say since the genre is not my cup of tea a lot of the time. This seems like a fair review overall really.

Now to run before the flames get any higher.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
the videogame equivalent to phoney gangster rap.

"Mature" content in the imgination of 13 year old.

"And while the narrative is as morally reprehensible as ever, the underlying intelligence backing up the wanton immaturity manages to keep GTA V treading the line of acceptable."D'toid

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Calibanbutcher said:
Just one thing I forgot to add: So "killing not being fun but actually unpleasant" is NOT pushing the boundaries of video-games?

Are you saying that we should STRIVE for mindless run-and-gun violence in video-games instead of an immersive experience with a narrative that actually gives killing some wheight?
The game doesn't give killing any weight, unfortunately. I wish it did. I wish there was any remorse displayed by the characters. Instead you get mindless screaming and lame quips.