Grand Theft Auto 5 Review - People Suck

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Hoooooooooooly hell, there are SO MANY 100s on Metacritic. Sheesh.

I predict New-Account Rage in the near future.

RIP, mods.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
sky14kemea said:
OT: I don't understand the huge weight of a few little score numbers. Personally, if you like the game, great! Go enjoy it! If you don't, then fine! Go enjoy something else! :D
If it were anyone else, I'd be really tempted to post that Willy Wonka 'you must be new here' gif. How dare you hold such a laid-back and easy going nature? Don't you know you're supposed to be mortally wounded when a game you've not yet played but instinctively know is the best thing ever, isn't given a perfect score and buried underneath roses and lacy underwear?

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
I'd be inclined to believe that the game's lack of morality is a true problem considering that the reviewer over at Gamespot also picked up on it. It's not going to stop me from purchasing it though, I mean how many games truly give weight to their acts of killing? Like it or not, we're part of a medium in which killing is often fun. Yes, this generation has seen a recent crop of games which tried to provide morality to the act, whether that be through the lens of revenge or self defence, but the fact is the vast majority of games have "don't care" attitudes towards murder. It's a shame that a developer with Rockstar's reputation perhaps didn't go for a more mature take on things, and the fact that reviewers are willing to point this out should be applauded.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
vini77 said:
Wow, so let me get this straight. The 3 mass murdering psychopathic criminal protagonists aren't likeable enough? That's your criticism of the game. What a horrendous review.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/grand-theft-auto-v/critic-reviews

Game currently has 99/100 on Metacritic, and this horrible review isn't going to change the fact that it's the best game of this generation. After playing it for over 4 days, I can safely say that.
Ok first of all, he gave it a 3.5 stars out of 5. That's a 7. That's a good review. Second of all, the fact that he isn't falling into line with the status quo shouldn't be grounds for criticism. Third of all, the game doesn't come out till tomorrow, how do you know how good it is?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
vini77 said:
Wow, so let me get this straight. The 3 mass murdering psychopathic criminal protagonists aren't likeable enough? That's your criticism of the game. What a horrendous review.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/grand-theft-auto-v/critic-reviews

Game currently has 99/100 on Metacritic, and this horrible review isn't going to change the fact that it's the best game of this generation. After playing it for over 4 days, I can safely say that.
The game was ruined for him by the characters. What more do you want from him?

Also: That's one.

I'm guessing there's going to be eighty of these new accounts that pop in here just to attack Greg Tito. Any bets, guys?

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Teoes said:
sky14kemea said:
OT: I don't understand the huge weight of a few little score numbers. Personally, if you like the game, great! Go enjoy it! If you don't, then fine! Go enjoy something else! :D
If it were anyone else, I'd be really tempted to post that Willy Wonka 'you must be new here' gif. How dare you hold such a laid-back and easy going nature? Don't you know you're supposed to be mortally wounded when a game you've not yet played but instinctively know is the best thing ever, isn't given a perfect score and buried underneath roses and lacy underwear?
You're right, I've been blinded by this comedy show in my other tab! Clearly it's time for pitchforks and fire. Meet me at sundown by the old bell tower, we'll lynch this monster for good!

Maybe I am a little optimistic, it's probably why I don't usually read reviews unless I don't plan on playing the game anyway. I don't mind passionate people as long as the insults don't start flying. =P

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Bottom Line: A technical achievement, GTAV's driving and shooting gameplay in an excellently crafted open world is marred by a script that presents despicable characters as the protagonists.

Recommendation: It's certainly fun to be the bad guy sometimes, but only buy Grand Theft Auto V if you're prepared to play as characters with no justifiable motivation for doing awful things to people.
That's part of the whole point of GTA. Looks like it finally cast off the chains of angsty sob stories and created a game where the whole point is to be a lying, stealing, murdering arsehole - or not, if you don't want to. This pushes new boundaries of player freedom. To be, or not to be...

Essentially, the biggest complaint apart from the justifiable complaints about gunplay seems to be that well, it's GTA without a hint of a conscience. Just as it should be... heh heh heh.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
sky14kemea said:
Andy Shandy said:
And a tough week for the mods gets even harder. XD
Are you kidding, it's like Christmas for us!

Wait no, what's the opposite of Christmas? Uhhhh... It's like Armageddon! I like to think I'm the Bruce Willis of the Mod team, though obviously that means I'm probably going to die in a heroic ball of flames in a little while... =[
Marter can be Ben Affleck! Which also makes him the Batmod to your Spidermod. It's perfect :D

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Let me get this straight, so not only is Grand Theft Auto 5 around 30% worse that Dragon Age 2, it's not even worth Hate/10?

Now I regret spending £120 on the Collector's Edition... or at least I would if I lived in a parallel world where I make my decisions based on other people's opinions. However, according to Parallel Universe theory, at this point in time there's another me who feels like he's been kicked in the balls and is regretting his pre-order. I'm glad I'm not that guy.

I suppose also according to Parallel Universe theory, at this point in time there's now at least 100 Greg Titos who have all made Rockstar's Shitlist, but with varying degrees of severity and consequence.

Let's hope our universe is more merciful than the one where the Scottish Empire rules the world, or the one where Voodoo is the most popular organised religion and videogame publishers have all the dolls.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
I'm not a fan of GTA..because it's just not for me. But the criticism seems a bit off. What more character motivation then more power and more money do you need in a game in this setting?

That's like downgrading Just cause 2 because the mercenary doesn't have a flushed out backstory

Ecliptica Wolf

Apr 20, 2011
I completely disagree with this review. I don't disagree with the reviewer's right to have an opinion on the matter but this is the only review that I've read where I feel that the reviewer has missed something here.

The protagonists are supposed to be evil, morally corrupt and downright debased. If that turns you off the game then that's okay, genuinely that's fine. But when a review criticises not being able to kill someone in a 'gamey' enough way then I draw the line there.

Games are experiences, and this is an experience. Personally I can't wait to play this game and experience it, but this review strikes a bad note with me. It just does.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
I get it.

Being a horrible person in a video game because of the awful things you do in that video game is a pretty good time. That's why I can run around freeze-shattering and Abduct-O-Matic'ing people in Saints' Row 4 and have a ball.

Supporting the actions of truly horrible people as scripted by other people, however, is much different and arguably not as much fun. It's all about how often you're in control of the character as opposed to how often the script is. From this review, it sounds like this game doesn't strike a balance suitable to the reviewer (or to me, admittedly).

--Morology!

Oct 2, 2012
Your criticisms are valid and solid but they don't apply to me.
So while I understand and respect why you didn't like what you did I know that I will enjoy those bits.
So apparently this game is gonna be golden for me :D

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
vini77 said:
Wow, so let me get this straight. The 3 mass murdering psychopathic criminal protagonists aren't likeable enough? That's your criticism of the game. This must be that new account rage someone bought up, because this review is terrible. Completely misses the point.
Yet everyone deemed it as a valid complaint for the kane and lynch games.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
"Main selling point of GTA is playing as a massive sociopath."

"Waaaahhhhh the game made me play as a massive sociopath! :( "

For fuck sake, this is GTA. That is not a valid complaint.