Grand Theft Auto 5 Review - People Suck

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Ranorak said:
Question, IS there some sort of Checkpoint system with the missions?

If not, I'm going to skip this game all together.
I HATE having to drive for 10 minutes to the same fucking place, with the same fucking dialogue, for the 4th fucking time, because I got shot while I was trying to find cover, but instead just bumped into stuff in GTA 4.
Yes, there is a checkpoint system, and the missions are generally fun.

Greg
Excellent, think I'll get it having read the review. The way I see it is we all have it in us to be total dicks just for the sake of being a total dick so this is a game that we'll all enjoy from time to time if we just let that side of us out. There's a game for every facet of a person's personality. When I feel like being a great military leader I've got a ton of strategy games, when I feel like being a hero in space I've got sci-fi games out the proverbial ass, when I feel like...me I've got RPGs that let me be me in a ton of different settings.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
This is why I still visit the Escapist everyday after nearly eight years(!!!)

Reviewers with opinions that actually gets expressed, not watered down, edited out or replaced with weasel speak. It's interesting that the characters in this come across so completely unlikable, I expected that for Trevor, but was hoping the other two would at least have deeper characterisations than plain bad guys.

Still my favourite GTA protagonist is still CJ, playing the straight man forced into rapidly escalating crazy situations, by the end he's as much a gang banger as his brother, but at least a sympathetic one.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Greg Tito said:
maniacfox said:
I think you are missing the point, the original GTA was purely that. A scumbag criminal who would do anything for $$$, so in that sense, in my mind anyway, it is getting back to the original ethos of the game. As much as I like a good story I found the more cut scenes I had to sit through in GTA IV, the less I cared about the story. It's about balance, so I will be curious to see how this game pans out.
First off, GTA3 started with the main character's betrayal and for some reason that gives me something to hold on to for a motivation. Also, we're in a much different world than in 2000, and several things have changed to make me judge GTAV differently. I plan on writing more on this game in an editorial which will hopefully clear up a lot of questions.

Greg
You can look at this in a different light. That is crime and criminals aren't to be looked up to, or held up as anti-heroes. That sometimes bad guys are just BAD GUYS and there is no redemption, there is nothing good about them. Some people are true sociopaths, and maybe R* is trying to tell that story.
I am kind of sickened we live in a world where Walter White is looked up to, when in truth he's not a hero but a sick man using his sickness as an excuse to be a bad guy. Where people can say Tony Soprano wasn't a villain, but misunderstood.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
lacktheknack said:
I'm guessing there's going to be eighty of these new accounts that pop in here just to attack Greg Tito. Any bets, guys?
That's a conservative estimate, methinks. XD
vini77 said:
Wow, so let me get this straight. The 3 mass murdering psychopathic criminal protagonists aren't likeable enough? That's your criticism of the game. This must be that new account rage someone bought up, because this review is terrible. Completely misses the point.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/grand-theft-auto-v/critic-reviews

Game currently has 99/100 on Metacritic, and this lazy review isn't going to change the fact that it's the best game of this generation. After playing it for over 4 days, I can safely say that.
You know there are plenty other websites giving perfect 10s that you can jizz your pants over, if you need somebody to validate your opinion, for whatever reason.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
So basically Houser TRIED to just cut out the BS and make the characters scumbags...but also forgot to at least make them INTERESTING scumbags. He seems to have forgotten why a lot of criminal characters WORKED (though to be fair Godfather Part II is also meant to be viewed as a sort of tragedy; Michael DOES lose his morality but it's meant to be seen as a tragic act). He tried to have his cake and eat it by making the main characters reprehensible, but also forgot when you do that you end up giving the audience NO ONE to hang onto as relatable or even likable thus eliminating any reason to get invested in the narrative. Sure, SRIV had a sociopath as the protagonist, but THAT game was a spoof (though oddly enough a lot of the character moments actually worked and could let you get behind the Boss or the other Saints). There's a reason why Joe Pesci wasn't the main character in Goodfellas.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
sky14kemea said:
Wait no, what's the opposite of Christmas?
A traditional Jewish Christmas at a south-Manhattan Chinese restaurant. Fun times...

OT: Good mechanics, good visuals, okay writing, detestable characters. Sounds like GTA finally gave me what I was looking for in protagonists.

Sounds like this is a game that needs a second opinion from someone else in the staff. Not to discount Tito's review, but if it's being able to connect with the characters that's the problem, the issues may be more subjective than one likes, making this a prime candidate for a second look.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I know i will hate this game, i basically hated the characters the first time they were introduced and this review only made it worse. I might borrow it one day to play around for awhile but defineately never buying it. I'm so tired of Housers writing style, it's basically just an excercise in ripping off movies using unlikeable characters, and the missions are usually linear as fuck.

The thing where you have to plan robberies does sound a bit intriguing though. Btw i'm surprised people are taking this score so well, Gamespot gave it 9/10 and that place is practically imploding (partly because a female reviewer commited this supposed act of heresy).

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Oh dear. A Non perfect score for a generally mediocre series. This is going to get more hate than the legions who pop out whenever Cod and Halo arent treated as the citizen kanes of our generation.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
I appreciate the review, everywhere else I've been seeing the whole 'Its the best game of the season' theme going on here. I would rather dick around on that nice environment than focus on the story at that point. So if I come across some money by the time its on PC, I'll give it a shot and mod the hell out of it.

And now for the scheduled wave of new comers to attack the review.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Jack Ofall said:
Greg Tito said:
maniacfox said:
I think you are missing the point, the original GTA was purely that. A scumbag criminal who would do anything for $$$, so in that sense, in my mind anyway, it is getting back to the original ethos of the game. As much as I like a good story I found the more cut scenes I had to sit through in GTA IV, the less I cared about the story. It's about balance, so I will be curious to see how this game pans out.
First off, GTA3 started with the main character's betrayal and for some reason that gives me something to hold on to for a motivation. Also, we're in a much different world than in 2000, and several things have changed to make me judge GTAV differently. I plan on writing more on this game in an editorial which will hopefully clear up a lot of questions.

Greg
But for now, you're smarmy, attention seeking head managed to knock metacritic's average score down just to get notice. Because to be frank, I never heard of you before this s**t review.
And that matters because?

It's just a number and an opinion, chill out^^.

jaateloauto

Jan 23, 2008
GTA 4 suffered from awful and boring plot, missions and characters so it's a valid criticism.

Don't get me started on the whole Metacritic aspect. Every other review site has their links up there too.

Ecliptica Wolf

Apr 20, 2011
Adultratedhydra said:
Oh dear. A Non perfect score for a generally mediocre series. This is going to get more hate than the legions who pop out whenever Cod and Halo arent treated as the citizen kanes of our generation.
I don't get this sort of comment at all. Call of Duty and Halo are both excellent video games. I play EVE online and driving simulators but I still enjoy both titles immensely.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
The protagonists are murderous assholes, but are they ENTERTAINING murderous assholes? I mean, I'd play a game where I was essentially a less-pale version of the Joker, but I don't think I'd enjoy playing as, for instance, a Klansman. So my question is, which side do GTA V's assholes fall into?

willzino

Sep 16, 2013
Don't listen to this people, this is the worst review I've ever read.
He says the characters aren't likable and have no motives, except if they would've actually played the game it would have been made clear that all the characters have a motive. For example, Franklin is desperately trying to get out of the hood life and make honest money.

Also, I love it how you don't praise the games large map, beautiful scenery, large amount of customization, the amount of time and money it has taken to create, etc. but instead you complain about too much violence in a grand theft auto game.

TL;DR: Review sucks. Poorly written, awful points.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
odolwa99 said:
How do you expect to tell a story about a good man when, at any given moment, the player has driven down a sidewalk in an oil tanker, ploughing through pedestrians and hurling molotovs at grannies on the other side of the street...?
Exactly, I'm happy to hear that the protagonists are more like the kind of people I play GTA as.
Playing an "ex" criminal with a tortured conscience makes it kind of hard to roleplay those moments where you just feel like causing chaos in that huge world.

If the characters being psychotic assholes is the only "complaint" about the game, I'm really looking forward to it.

Epicity

Sep 16, 2013
The reviews complains about the game being immature and having characters that do despicable things. The fact that this is part of the franchise and the core of GTA is about making fun of society and having characters that can go around kill civilians makes those point completely wrong in context with the game.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Jack Ofall said:
Adultratedhydra said:
I hate both of those series. And it's F all to do with you what other's say about the review. nonce.
You registered just to insult the reviewer and anyone else who disagrees with you. Wonderful.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
There's actually a quote for the Telegraph UK (Which, apparently, reviews video games...) that I really like, having to do with the moral wretchedness of the characters.

The Telegraph said:
And Trevor? Trevor may well be you. Trevor is the Grand Theft Auto player that causes carnage and squelches pedestrians just to achieve a five-star wanted rating and watch the following mayhem unfold. He is the twisted, ugly reflection of all the nasty stuff that GTA lets you do but rarely explicitly encourages. Rockstar wants you to look at his face and feel uncomfortable. And it works.
The characters are evil, and why shouldn't they be? A good portion of GTA and SR players have fun by doing things like that - getting into a garbage truck and plowing into pedestrians, throwing shock bombs at grannies, and just generally going berserk. When you have a character whose in it for 'justice' or who is trying to do the right thing, actions like this can be a serious disconnect.

Anthadlas Babyeater

Feb 26, 2013
I can't understand why you would praise everything about the game and then knock the review score down below many other games which are much worse based on 1 criticism.
I find it stupid that you think the characters are scumbags, the same characters who are killing people, robbing banks and evading the police to make a quick buck and you're saying that their morals make them unlikable? If you brought forward any evidence that this made the game worse I could believe you but it seems that you are nitpicking at stupid things in an illogical way just to try and get more views on your review.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
I find it amusing that people like to jump on a game reviewer because he has an opinion on something that A: Isn't the same as everyone else, and B: Is for something that people haven't even played either. How do you all know that your opinion won't be the same as Greg's? How about you play the actual game before you just dismiss the guy's review for being wrong and a "troll wannabee that wants to get himself noticed on metacritic"?