Grand Theft Auto 5 Review - People Suck

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
aye, the idea of a admirable psychopath, speaks to me of wanting to have one's cake and eat it too.

i guess they pulled it off pretty well with Niko, but i definitely think there is something to be said for a reprehensible main character, if only for the sake of escaping that old video game routine of heroes and anti-heroes

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
sky14kemea said:
Andy Shandy said:
And a tough week for the mods gets even harder. XD
Are you kidding, it's like Christmas for us!

Wait no, what's the opposite of Christmas? Uhhhh... It's like Armageddon! I like to think I'm the Bruce Willis of the Mod team, though obviously that means I'm probably going to die in a heroic ball of flames in a little while... =
So who's Liv Tyler?

Marter?
Topaz?
TimeLord?
Maddawg?

...It's Maddawg, isn't it?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
bringer of illumination said:
Okay.

I've railed against score inflation more than most.

I would have had no problem with this score in principle.

BUT.

When the same person that gave fucking Dragon Age 2 100% gives a GTA game 3.5/5 because, SHOCK GASP, you play as CRIMINALS IN A FUCKING GRAND THEFT AUTO GAME, then I don't even know HOW to react.

What the fuck is this.

Have you even heard of this series before?

NOT!

[slam]

MUCH!

[slam]

IS OBJECTIVE!

[slam]

IN GAME REVIEWING!

[slam]

GOD!

[slam]

DAMMIT!

[slam slam]

He liked DA2, and did not like GTAV as much. And then he listed the reason WHY he didn't enjoy it as much. That's all he needs to account for the difference in score.

Feb 22, 2009
vini77 said:
Wow, so let me get this straight. The 3 mass murdering psychopathic criminal protagonists aren't likeable enough? That's your criticism of the game. This must be that new account rage someone bought up, because this review is terrible. Completely misses the point.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/grand-theft-auto-v/critic-reviews

Game currently has 99/100 on Metacritic, and this lazy review isn't going to change the fact that it's the best game of this generation. After playing it for over 4 days, I can safely say that.
Now I haven't played the game yet, and I think when I do I'm going to enjoy it very much. BUT don't you think saying that any criticism based on the characters is invalid, kind of defeats all the hard work Rockstar have been putting into characterisation and plot with their recent games? Criticising, I dunno, League of Legends for having un-likeable characters would be invalid, because characterisation is completely insignificant in that game. But in a game series that recently has become so focused on plot and character, it's completely valid for that to be a criticism of the game.

Quoth

Aug 28, 2008
Nice review which goes a long way to giving a consumer what they need; an idea of what to expect. Although it does somewhat smack of trying to find something to criticise it for.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Bang snip bang
You may be this thread's Bear Jew. I think there's someone else you need to be introduced to.

edit: you beat me to it!

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Greg Tito said:
quoted for attention!
Hey Greg, quick question: what ever happened to the video reviews? I noticed you guys haven't been doing those anymore and I didn't hear anything else about it. What gives?

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
I came into this thread a happy and joyful bunny, yet all these new accounts made purely for the purpose of unleashing trucktons of melted rage and conformity have shattered that.
Thanks guys.
It's a valid complaint, and I was hoping that someone would give this unoriginal and frankly dull game something other than "MASTERPIECE BUY IT NOW AND WE GET MONEY ITS GOOD YEAH".

Urgh.

I'ma go make me some tea now.

Anthadlas Babyeater

Feb 26, 2013
bringer of illumination said:
Okay.

I've railed against score inflation more than most.

I would have had no problem with this score in principle.

BUT.

When the same person that gave fucking Dragon Age 2 100% gives a GTA game 3.5/5 because, SHOCK GASP, you play as CRIMINALS IN A FUCKING GRAND THEFT AUTO GAME, then I don't even know HOW to react.

What the fuck is this.

Have you even heard of this series before?
He gave DA2 100%, Seriously who the hell does that? Does this guy even play the games or just throw darts at a board and pick the outcome?

baconmaster

Apr 15, 2008
I'd rather play as complete assholes rather than whatever the hell Niko Bellic was. I'm somewhat looking forward to this, but I have to know what my friends think of it first. After all, GTAIV has a 98 on metacritic despite being extremely repetitive, lacking content compared to previous games, and having some of the worst mechanics I've seen this generation. Rockstar could release a game like Amy and reviewers would still eat it up

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Oh Grand Theft Auto came out already?
I didn't even notice.

Anyway, that was an interesting review. I can think of instances where bad characters ruined the over all experience of a piece a media for me so I can understand where you are coming from. I especially don't like it when such characters are praised and are never "punished" their immoral deeds.

Still, I can't help but be morbidly curious about just how awful these characters are.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Yosharian said:
Dragon Age 2 is a 5/5, 100% score.

And you give this a 7/10.

Not gonna lie, I smell a rat bro.
Anthadlas Babyeater said:
He gave DA2 100%, Seriously who the hell does that? Does this guy even play the games or just throw darts at a board and pick the outcome?
<spoiler=HRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH>http://shoutitforlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Snape-and-Harry-Potter.jpg

NOT!

[slam]

MUCH!

[slam]

IS OBJECTIVE!

[slam]

IN GAME REVIEWING!

[slam]

GOD!

[slam]

DAMMIT!

[slam slam]

I will continue to do this as many times as I need to to get the bleeding point across! :mad:

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
You cant base an entire review on personal preferences, that way if the reviewer of this site for this game was another one we would get an all together diferent opinion/score. One thing is saying that the minigames are just fluff, the game has technical issues or the story is dumb (if trying to be smart) and another thing is that the main characters arent the type of protagonists that you like.

There are a lot of things that I dont like but respect and see why people like it and its good, as a professional reviewer there is a certain responsability to not let you personal view to get that much in the way (it can get but make it clear that it is a personal view). Moviebob fails a lot of times on that too and the Gamespot review goes all out with political views and shit, thats even worse.

I really dont agree with the 10/10 being handled out there but most real issues we seem to get with GTA V are framerate drops and pop-ins. If the game managed to be all it wanted to be (and it wanted a lot) with only those flaws I think it deserves to be a bit more then "average".

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
"You can only embody a vicious psychopath a short time before it becomes boring, at best, and soul-crushing, at worst.
Forcing players to murder people, not in a gamey "I killed you to complete a goal" way that defines this medium, but in a terrorizing and demeaning way, is not what will make videogames great."

why not? why is it comparatively boring to have an actual, human emotional reaction(negative or otherwise) to doing bad things when compared to killing without context like in most other games?

Maybe thats the perfect way to make video games great

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Thought progression of most gamers at this point:

1. Damn. GTA5's aggregate on metacritic is pretty sick. Maybe it will somehow live up to the hype.

2. Wow, there's actually a dissenting opinion in there. One site gave it a mixed review. Wonder why...

3. Never mind, it's just The Escapist. Moving on as if nothing happened.

Content here is starting to cross over from flame-baiting to click-baiting. I think I'll resume my holiday until you all think of something besides kicking hornets nests for shits and giggles.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Sassafrass said:
Oh boy, this is gonna end well.

Guys, just remember. A 3.5 out of 5 translates to a 7 out of 10. A 7 out of 10 is still pretty good, you know.
Tut, tut... You should know better. 1-8 on a 10 scale is horrible. Only 9 and 10s are seen as good.