Grand Theft Auto V Anti-PC Petition Has 10,000 Signatures

NWJ94

Feb 21, 2013
I'm confused isn't "Trevor Philips" one of the protagonists for GTA V? I assumed this petition was another joke, but is a thing where you use a fake name on your online petition? More over are the people signing this actually taking this seriously? (I mean its really adorable how little you would have to know about electronics to assume a console was pirate proof, but it doesn't make you any less ignorant.)

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'm fine with releasing PC versions late to curb piracy. I honestly wouldn't mind waiting a week or two longer than my console brethren for every game out there. But to say not to release it at all? That's ridiculous. A fair few consumers would only buy it on PC, and not given that option, would skip the game entirely. I daresay more sales would be lost from no PC release than would be gained by this exciting new form of DRM.

P.S. Thanks

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Glademaster said:
Probably need to add another 1 and two 0's in front of that.
That only applies if I wish to attract space banditos instead of plain-old boring pirates.

OT: Going to have to hop on the bandwagon with this one and say that it is just bait and nothing much else. They don't even come at it from an interesting angle.
To be fair, when all you have to do is say "PC is for pirates" to get that level of reaction, you don't NEED an interesting angle. Already we have people calling each other faggots and retards.

Basically, the gamer community made it easy for them. And I fear reporting on it has made it even easier for them.

Donzacuceron

Sep 22, 2012
Even If PC games were pirated and not bought(which isn't thanks to good ol' Gabe). The whole idea of "punishing" a segment of consumers for not consuming enough by denying them any ability to consume is so moronic it defies comprehension.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NWJ94 said:
I'm confused isn't "Trevor Philips" one of the protagonists for GTA V? I assumed this petition was another joke, but is a thing where you use a fake name on your online petition? More over are the people signing this actually taking this seriously? (I mean its really adorable how little you would have to know about electronics to assume a console was pirate proof, but it doesn't make you any less ignorant.)
Like half the responses are angry "fuck you console scrubs I want GTA on PC!!!!!" and it wouldn't surprise me to find the other half were people largely taking the piss.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Yeah those Welfare leeches should get a job! They're taking money from decent working folk... Oh wait. Apparently people who watch Fox News still play videogames.
Wait... you're assuming those that started this petition are the Fox News demographic? You do realize that this petition was created on change.org right? No Fox News watcher would ever tread into that place, lol. I've always pictured the Fox News demographic as primarily PC gamers.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
*pfffff*

hey fanboys, the series STARTED on both pc and playstation

give it a rest, if you're getting robbed, it's because you're paying companies money to give you a stripped down computer

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
I'm tempted to sign that petition just because the pure level of stupid within it raises it to neigh genius.

In all seriousness tho, LAWL! I mean, their petition is aimed at convincing rockstar to shoot themselves in the foot as computer sales are trumping disc sales of late, and their reasoning is piracy?

I'll try and respond to that as if it was serious and not the flamebait it so obviously is. Here is the law of the PC, if you wont sell it to us.... Someone will port it and pirate it. (I am merely pointing out historically proven occurrences repeated ad naseum, not actually suggesting someone do this, because the people that would don't need me to suggest it)

It was made on a computer, so someone will be able to make it play on one and rockstar knows this. You can't fight piracy because all you do is make pirates out of the customers you attack. The only real defense is being cunsumer friendly so that you make the pirates look bad.

So again, love the troll petition, just proving again that petitions don't mean anything and that change.org doesn't really play a role other than as a joke.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
That is amazingly hilarious, essentially we got 10k people signing up for bigotry... at least they are honest for once in their lives.

Jun 11, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
To be fair, when all you have to do is say "PC is for pirates" to get that level of reaction, you don't NEED an interesting angle. Already we have people calling each other faggots and retards.

Basically, the gamer community made it easy for them. And I fear reporting on it has made it even easier for them.
Yeah I suppose that much is true.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Like many others, I am signing this to be notified of its failure. I use to play console games a lot as a kid. I started on PC when I was young playing BF2 but went to consoles later on. I'm now back to PC, and the main reason is because of how immature and ignorant most (And that means most*) console gamers are. I'm am sorry to inform the, say, 5 or so thousand people who actually support this (Most just signed to make a statement like me), that GTA 5 will very more than likely be coming to PC. You will not have one of the "greatest games of all time" as an exclusive. And we all know that's what this petition is up for. Piracy is just a coverup statement.
I pirated it on the consoles before release date, I don't want PC gamers to pirate it too!
Oh wow.

Btw guys, "So PC Gamers learn their lesson and stop stealing games" Is really all there is for a description. Whether they mean 'stop pirating games' or 'stop 'stealing' console exclusives' is open to interpretation, but there you go. At least it's nice to know the intelligence of who the PC crowd are, ah, 'up against'. Seriously, fuck you idiots. You bring shame upon everyone who owns a console, nay, everyone who plays video games.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
All I can do is point and laugh. It's honestly rather pathetic.

Holding GTA 5 for hostage will simply make PC gamers bitter, and some will go and pirate future titles when they otherwise would be grateful to R*. The PC community isn't very forgiving.

I completely understand delaying a PC port in order to gauge interest in the game, and make the PC version worthwhile but holding it hostage because some scumbags don't wanna pay for their games is simply unfair to the 10's of millions of PC players that would consider paying for it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've heard from the cousin of a friend's friend that it's easier to pirate console games than PC games... I can't belive the quantity of signatures it has reached...

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Lightknight said:
Hmm, it may actually be beneficial to game companies to with-hold the release of the pc version until well after the console release of their games. I say this knowing full well that I'd much prefer to play GTA V on my pc than on any console.
pretty much everyone does that already. thats the reason console games sell more - they are the ONLY option. PC priacy isnt much bigger than console piracy, but of course no PC version mean no PC priacy, so they imagine they are doing something, even though people who pirate it will pirate on consoles just as easily.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Before we start talking about stealing games would you please remember me where GTA started? Oh piracy is a problem for PC users stealing games, well I guess you never bought a used game in your life right?

This is hilarious. It's like all the 13 year olds who have no idea of the history of their games, economics of sales on PC and consoles (mostly permanent digital sales over a long period vs first week mass bulk sale that gets traded in later) or even how game development works, namely that they are designed on PC's then optimized for consoles.

This is either the best troll petition ever or the funniest thing I saw today.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
rofltehcat said:
It is just flamebait. The petition to also port it to the PC is nice but they'd have ported it there anyways.
They have done it time and time again: Release on consoles, then focus on a (good) PC port.
I think this is a better policy than doing a half-assed port.
I've never really heard anything good about the PC port of GTA IV, actually.

Zachary Amaranth said:
Objective figures? Piracy is near 2,000,000% We have data from such objective sources as CD PRojekt already!

erttheking said:
WOW! That is just a major dick move. I mean...wow! I'm just glad that the Pro-PC camp outnumbers the anti-PC camp 35:1. That...wow. As a console gamer, this disgusts me.
Assuming you take the petition seriously.

Also, have you seen the petition? There's a lot of "signatures" from people who signed to ask for a PC release or to flame console gamers.

Xan Krieger said:
So it's anti-piracy but GTA V was leaked on consoles.

No way it's serious, just flamebaiting.
But piracy on consoles is lower. Piracy on PCs is 47,000,000,000%! Consoles only get what? A million bans each year for this? Advantage, console.

Jamous said:
I literally don't understand the thought that goes into that. Like how do you come to that conclusion? Stop stealing games? Piracy aside, Consoles have exclusives too, which I would argue are more 'stealing' than making something available on MORE platforms...
Exclusives aren't piracy, which is what the petition has an issue with (and the article covers that). As piracy is at 28,000,000,000,00,000% and rising, you can see their concern. Rockstar nearly went bankrupt from porting GTA IV, and not a single person paid for it.
Pfft, your numbers are out of date.

Everyone knows piracy rates skyrocketed over the last four hours, now it's at 730,000,000,000,000,000,000,001%.

Even the ninjas are pirating now, and we all know that pirates and ninjas are mortal enemies.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Ah if only gamers could channel 10% of the energy spent on ruining stuff for others and censoring/critiquing products they had no interest in anyways, we would solve world hunger and be half way to the next galaxy by now.

FilmDude89

Jan 6, 2013
Frankster said:
Ah if only gamers could channel 10% of the energy spent on ruining stuff for others and censoring/critiquing products they had no interest in anyways, we would solve world hunger and be half way to the next galaxy by now.
This pretty much.
OT: Yeah.. This is a pretty big dick move by those who made the petition and those who signed it. I'm a console gamer and I sure as shoot wouldn't mind PC gamers being able to enjoy the game on their platform of choice.
At the same time I'd be lying to myself if I said the whole "We are the "Master Race" because we play our god damn video games at a higher resolution than you do" thing wasn't royally irritating.
And I've already seen plenty of that nonsense on these boards already.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
rofltehcat said:
It is just flamebait. The petition to also port it to the PC is nice but they'd have ported it there anyways.
They have done it time and time again: Release on consoles, then focus on a (good) PC port.
I think this is a better policy than doing a half-assed port.
Possibly not (though I admit, its very likely GTA V will come to PC); after all, Red Dead Redemption has, at time of writing, not been porting to PC and without any sign Rockstar is planning too.

As for there strategy, it is good they do decent PC ports, but I am hoping as the 'next-next-gen' of consoles comes along, they'll write for the PC at the same time as the PS4 and XBox 1; both consoles are going to be alot similar to a PC than the current generation, and as such they'll be likely to be much easier to write in a machine-independent manner.

I am waiting for the PC version of GTA V myself.

I think the annoying think is Rockstar haven't said anything, so it could be a RDR situation (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/06/rockstar-red-dead-redemption-on-pc-isnt-happening-not-viable/).

I suppose I'll get GTA V on one of the consoles if there is no sign of it heading to PC in a year or so.