Grand Theft Auto V's Map Leaked, is Huge

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Grand Theft Auto V's Map Leaked, is Huge

Obviously: massive spoiler warnings ahead.

Fans that leaked copy of the official map [http://kotaku.com/a-ridiculous-fan-made-3d-grand-theft-auto-v-map-1251467102].

From the looks of things, Los Santos is going to be a pretty big, and varied place, sporting a large lake, two mountains, three airports, a big city, and several small towns. Take a gander at it below (click on the picture to view full-size):

[http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/594/594511.jpg]

Rockstar previously boasted that the landmass in GTA V would be bigger than Red Dead Redemption, GTA: San Andreas, and Grand Theft Auto IV combined, and it's certainly looking like it may live up to that promise.

Source & Image: Kotaku [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=674357]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Don't know how it could be bigger than San Andreas. That game had San Fiero and Las Vegas. This map has neither.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Rockstar previously boasted that the landmass in GTA V would be bigger than bigger than Red Dead Redemption, GTA: San Andreas, and Grand Theft Auto IV combined, and it's certainly looking like it may live up to that promise.
Typo there. ;)

OT: it has to be said, it looks big? but its kind of hard to quantify "bigger than another map", really. I mean, who really explores entire maps without fast travelling anyway? I feel like size of the map doesn't really make a difference anymore in terms of gameplay experience.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Steven Bogos said:
Rockstar previously boasted that the landmass in GTA V would be bigger than bigger than Red Dead Redemption, GTA: San Andreas, and Grand Theft Auto IV combined, and it's certainly looking like it may live up to that promise.
Typo there. ;)

OT: it has to be said, it looks big? but its kind of hard to quantify "bigger than another map", really. I mean, who really explores entire maps without fast travelling anyway? I feel like size of the map doesn't really make a difference anymore in terms of gameplay experience.
I don't know about you, but I drive all over the original San Andreas, and Saints Row 2's Stilwater, and though it's technically fast travel, all over SR3's Steelport (with the Spectre). Part of the fun of GTA is jacking a vehicle and running rampant along the countryside.

That said, I'm extremely disappointed that this map doesn't have San Fierro or Las Venturas on it, or the airplane graveyard. You can't 'go back to San Andreas' and ignore two of the three important locales. I hope it's not going to be some kind of DLC.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Well that looks completely shrunk down, so still there will never be another San Andreas. Its starting to look like that game was a miracle for its hardware.
But then as you say, DLC didn't exist when San Andreas came out...

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
Why is it an island? Oh boy. It doesn't seem bigger than San Andreas. It seems about 25% larger than GTA IV.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Having a huge map doesn't mean it's going to be good.

I've played many a MMO with HUGE MAPS...that have being boring as hell to play.

Lets not forget that GTA4 was kind of mediocre, and stayed that way until the 'Stories' were released.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
That actually looks MUCH smaller than the older maps, from what I'm seeing here. Not that that's the worst thing in the world, but you know...cards on the table and all that.

I'm keen to see what this one is about once it comes out.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Perhaps I am just seeing things but the map looks a bit like either a Phoenix or a Dragon. Looks like a pretty good size map. I'm hoping there are more small towns across the map.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
008Zulu said:
Don't know how it could be bigger than San Andreas. That game had San Fiero and Las Vegas. This map has neither.
To be honest this map looks similar to San Andreas, can someone pull up the SA map so we can compare it? It looks eerily similar.....

EDIT: Well it does look similar but after checking online not as similar as I first thought:

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Judging by the length of city roads, it does not look too large. Besides, I'd rather see it content large than size large. City itself might be good in that regard, but a big portion of outdoors is just that. I guess we'll see when it's out.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
This looks tiny. If you look at the size of a city block, then compare that to the rest of the map, it doesn't appear very big at all.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
RicoADF said:
To be honest this map looks similar to San Andreas, can someone pull up the SA map so we can compare it? It looks eerily similar.....

EDIT: Well it does look similar but after checking online not as similar as I first thought:
http://www.myepsilon.org/maps/gtasa_aerial_map.jpg

My map is fight :)

There has been a few intervening years, maybe there was a big ass earthquake? An earthquake that apparently changed the geography of the world, but left the city that... no. comparing the guess map with SA's, there are not even remotely close.

TecnoMonkey

Jul 2, 2012
So apparently NeoGaf members have compared the San Andreas map and this one, the result is this: http://i.imgur.com/0q6hht6.jpg

So it yeah, it's going to be pretty big. Assuming the image is reliable.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Only thing I'm puzzled about is why it's an island.

Other than that, it has every possibility of being fucking massive, despite what it looks like on here.
People saying this is small, or barren have to remember scale. The scale could be such that traveling from one end of the main city to the other could be the equivalent of half of San Andrea's entire real estate, leaving the wilderness area to be mind bogglingly "Just Cause 2" levels of massive.

I'm so glad most of the map is wilderness by the way. That was always my favorite place to be in SA, and more or less not having any place like that in 4 really bummed me out.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
While that does look like a big map, the important thing is that it FEELS big.
GTA SA got the balance right with it's different Biomes and cities so it goes feel like forever to get from one side of the map to the other.

GTAV does the same, all will be good.