Grandpa Tastes Concrete Over Videogames

Bonemeal

Mar 12, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
Aeonknight said:
Bonemeal said:
Jesus Christ almighty, the police just can't seem to get out of their own way in trying to amass as much bad PR as possible before 2011 is out. Even if he WAS shoplifting, even if he WAS resisting arrest, we're not talking about the fucking Green Goblin here, it's some geezer with a grandkid.
Really doesn't matter dude.

That's how they're trained, any sign of hostility/resistance and they show no hesitation. An old man with a grandkid hiding a knife in his trousers can stab you just as easily as some punk lowlife.

I'm not saying he was armed or anything... but it wouldn't surprise me on Black Friday. Either way, when the cop barks orders... either listen or eat concrete.

But again... dunno if he was resisting at all. Still passive on judgment.
So, then, apparently asking someone a few questions is now completely beyond the call of duty, eh? Maybe we should just let the cops beat the fuck out of anyone they want at any time, no questions asked.
"B-b-b-b-but you have nothing to fear from the emerging police state as long as you don't resist!"

Feb 13, 2008
The Tabloids likely response?

"PROOF: GAMES CAUSE VIOLENCE".

But let's face it, if the media continually pile on the frenzy, it won't be so long before someone is properly killed over Black Friday (rather than being involved in a gang warfare at Black Friday that's reported as "OMG BLACK FRIDAY. PEOPLE DIE OVER IT."

Given the 4 months leg room that Xmas has, maybe Black Friday could start on a Grey Friday the week before?

Perhaps save some lives?

Just a thought.

(Oh. I don't care if that Guy was stealing a Kinect, faceplanting him is an aggravated assault beyond the parameters of "resisting arrest".)

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I laughed at the last line of this article, felt bad about it, then read it again..[small] I laughed again[/small].

Geez, did they have to be so rough? Yes, he stuck a game in his pants. Did they even ask him why BEFORE they introduced his face to the concrete floor or afterwords when the article was being written? What's wrong with a, "Sir, why did you stick that game in your pants?" or better yet, "Sir, are you going to pay for that item?" or use it as a follow-up question. Then just keep an eye on him until he pays and leaves.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
Aeonknight said:
You don't know if he was acting the fool or not. So before you fall for yet another inflammatory title this website is known for and make yourself look like a jackass, why not wait until all the facts are present before picking a side?
Pretty sure remaining calm in the face of idiots is something a cop should be quite good at, I mean unless these guys are fro the Jersey shore or something a few aggravating words is in no way a warrant for a face smashing.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
I love how so many people are acting as if older people are completely harmless. 54 isn't terribly old, I know it seems it to teenagers, but it's really not. There are plenty of people in their 50s that work in shops, construction, etc that would be able to kick your ass. In the U.S. pretty much anyone could be packing heat.

I'd be more weary to mess with someone in their 50s than someone in their 20s. They came from a different generation, one that hasn't been so emasculated.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
I hope the man is okay but they could have just asked him if he was going to pay for the game.

Ukasuy

Oct 20, 2010
As soon as I saw the words Black Friday I skimmed the article until I found what I was looking for. "Wal-Mart"
Black Friday violence/riots ALWAYS happens at a Wal-Mart. Like the pepper spray event this year or the annual tramplings...

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Prof.Beany said:
Aeonknight said:
You don't know if he was acting the fool or not. So before you fall for yet another inflammatory title this website is known for and make yourself look like a jackass, why not wait until all the facts are present before picking a side?
Pretty sure remaining calm in the face of idiots is something a cop should be quite good at, I mean unless these guys are fro the Jersey shore or something a few aggravating words is in no way a warrant for a face smashing.
It's funny you mention that, because after rereading this little section here:

Grey Carter said:
The police tell a slightly different story: they're claiming Newman was flailing his arms and resisting arrest - though you have to wonder exactly how much arrest resisting warrants a man being made into the filling in a cop and concrete sandwich.
It says he flailing his arms around acting like a jackass. If it's true, he deserved what he got. But the video doesn't show anything prior to the police putting him down. So as it is right now, it's a case of he said/she said. I'm sure security footage could give us a pretty clear picture of what happened instead of some gawker's cell phone video, but good luck getting ahold of that...

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
mindlesspuppet said:
I love how so many people are acting as if older people are completely harmless. 54 isn't terribly old, I know it seems it to teenagers, but it's really not. There are plenty of people in their 50s that work in shops, construction, etc that would be able to kick your ass. In the U.S. pretty much anyone could be packing heat.

I'd be more weary to mess with someone in their 50s than someone in their 20s. They came from a different generation, one that hasn't been so emasculated.
None of which is an excuse for the way the officers acted.

Aeonknight said:
Bonemeal said:
Jesus Christ almighty, the police just can't seem to get out of their own way in trying to amass as much bad PR as possible before 2011 is out. Even if he WAS shoplifting, even if he WAS resisting arrest, we're not talking about the fucking Green Goblin here, it's some geezer with a grandkid.

That's how they're trained, any sign of hostility/resistance and they show no hesitation. An old man with a grandkid hiding a knife in his trousers can stab you just as easily as some punk lowlife.

I'm not saying he was armed or anything... but it wouldn't surprise me on Black Friday. Either way, when the cop barks orders... either listen or eat concrete.

Pick up that can.

Feb 13, 2008
mindlesspuppet said:
In the U.S. pretty much anyone could be packing heat.
May I use that the next time someone asks about why we don't arm the English Police?

Hell, not even in Iraq/Egypt do they have that problem.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Amnestic said:
Aeonknight said:
Bonemeal said:

Pick up that can.
At least if I say no, I know what to expect lol

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This is groundbreaking! (pa tum tish!)
I can so see the theme of Mortal Combat going on full volume in the shop and the cop just snapping and his brain goin "FINISH HIM!!!" and BOOOOM!

Well I feel sorry for the man, honestly a police officer should just go up to him and ask why he put the game in his trousers (shoplifing or protecting grandson) if he after the question starts running around then you can start wondering about using lightly forcing methods...

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Aeonknight said:
Prof.Beany said:
Aeonknight said:
It's funny you mention that, because after rereading this little section here:

Grey Carter said:
The police tell a slightly different story: they're claiming Newman was flailing his arms and resisting arrest - though you have to wonder exactly how much arrest resisting warrants a man being made into the filling in a cop and concrete sandwich.
It says he flailing his arms around acting like a jackass. If it's true, he deserved what he got. But the video doesn't show anything prior to the police putting him down. So as it is right now, it's a case of he said/she said. I'm sure security footage could give us a pretty clear picture of what happened instead of some gawker's cell phone video, but good luck getting ahold of that...
So then you're going to be completely calm when you're being arrested without just cause, right? We don't live in a police state, yet. Last I checked, it is your right and responsibility to determine exactly why you're being arrested before you allow the police to handcuff you.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Guffe said:
I can so see the theme of Mortal Combat going on full volume in the shop and the cop just snapping and his brain goin "FINISH HIM!!!" and BOOOOM!

Well I feel sorry for the man, honestly a police officer should just go up to him and ask why he put the game in his trousers (shoplifing or protecting grandson) if he after the question starts running around then you can start wondering about using lightly forcing methods...
Slamming someone face-first into the floor is not "light force," especially since *all* of the medical bills are going to be that guy's responsibility. Even if he's released immediately and not charged with a crime, he now has hundreds, if not thousands, in medical bills.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Aeonknight said:
Amnestic said:
Aeonknight said:
Bonemeal said:

Pick up that can.
When you expect the same thing from your police as you would from one of the Combine's Metrocops, something has gone terribly wrong.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
Guffe said:

Slamming someone face-first into the floor is not "light force," especially since *all* of the medical bills are going to be that guy's responsibility. Even if he's released immediately and not charged with a crime, he now has hundreds, if not thousands, in medical bills.
Sorry if I wasn't explaning myself enough here.
I didn't mean that slamming him all bloody onto the floor was "light force". I meant that if he starts resisting you can grab the guy and handcuf him if he does more resisting but slamming someones brains to the ground is stuff you do the mafia guys.
With light force I meant a grapple of the arm or something like that.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
THEJORRRG said:
Besides, he's an old man at Wal-Mart with his grandson, what the hell would he have done to the cop?
I have known 70+ year-old men that could kill you with one hand quite easily. So... Quite a lot actually, if he had the right training. Never underestimate someone just because they are old.

OT: I dunno, the entire thing sounds quite fishy for the cops. Methinks they might have over-reacted a bit much during the frenzy, mainly due to being overwhelmed. Still not a good excuse, but an understandable one.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Amnestic said:
Aeonknight said:
Amnestic said:
Aeonknight said:
Bonemeal said:

Pick up that can.
When you expect the same thing from your police as you would from one of the Combine's Metrocops, something has gone terribly wrong.
Welcome to the real world?
Something has BEEN terribly wrong. Hell the cops in my city have a reputation with neighboring cities for how bad they are.

But regardless of that, there is a right way and a wrong way to interract with police. I'll give you a hint as to which one doesn't involve some face to concrete action.

RvLeshrac said:
I don't think they'll face plant you for asking why you're being arrested. I doubt they'd tell you till you're in custody either though. If grandpa here didn't intend to steal the game, he should have no problem explaining it when the time comes. Then you can even turn around and sue the police for unlawful arrest.

That's how you deal with it. Not by flailing your arms around or getting up in their face about it.

Danz D Man

Jun 26, 2008
So simply concealing an item in any way inside of a store is shoplifting now? Don't you by definition have to leave the store in order to steal something?
I know it's obviously inflated by the media, but the police seem to be getting ridiculous these days. They use the fact that anyone could be armed to justify treating everyone like would-be criminals.
Anyone could be a meth dealer too, but you can't just break into their house to find out.