Graphic Dismemberment Axed From Japanese Black Ops

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Graphic Dismemberment Axed From Japanese Black Ops

Japanese gamers won't be playing the same version of Call of Duty: Black Ops that we are in the West, after content is cut to appease the ratings board.

The Japanese version of Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Pc/dp/B003JVF728] is getting a few tweaks to make it more palatable to the country's rating board. The game has been rated CERO Z, the highest rating the Japanese system allows and the only one enforceable by law. But in order to pass, the game has had to drop the "brutal or grotesque portrayal" of limbs being removed.

Whether the game - which will be published by Square Enix in Japan, as Activision no longer has a Japanese branch - has had dismemberments completely removed for the Japanese release, or just made less graphic isn't completely clear. The article [http://www.sqex-ee.jp/2010/09/20101.html] announcing it does make mention of a "ghostly depiction" for some of the "atrocities," but it's a machine translation from Japanese into English, so it's hard to be sure exactly what that means.

There will be two versions of the game released in Japan, one subtitled and one dubbed. This is supposedly to accommodate Japanese gamers who want to play the game with English voices - although I'm not entirely sure why that would require a separate version. Square Enix specifically states that aside from the voice tracks, both versions of the game are identical.

There's bound to be a bit of head scratching at this news, as most people will have seen, or at least heard of, some very violent media coming out of Japan, but clearly, the standards for videogames are different from those for movies or anime.

Call of Duty: Black Ops is released on November 9th.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5636501/japan-censoring-call-of-dutys-blown-off-body-parts]

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I thought they said they weren't going over the top with gore, or are the japs a little squeamish? In which case I lol at them.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
When you say "cut to appease the ratings board", I picture a setup like this:

OH GREAT RATINGS BOARD! TO APPEASE YOU PLEASE ACCEPT THIS SACRIFICE AND ALLOW US TO RELEASE OUR GAME!

Just the use of wording I guess, haha.

Jul 22, 2009
dogstile said:
I thought they said they weren't going over the top with gore, or are the japs a little squeamish? In which case I lol at them.
They just have strict laws involving dismemberment.

OT: Two editions? Surely Dub V. Sub should just be a Language option...

Oh well.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
WanderFreak said:
Instead, graphic dismemberment will be replaced by the sprouting of tentacles in place of missing limbs which will proceed to rape nearby lolitas.
Took the words right out of my mouth. I never thought such a verdict would be passed in Japan, of all countries.

CpnBeef

May 19, 2008
Too much gore in a standard FPS?

All this Nintendo has made you weak Japan.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Umm... Metal Gear Solid: Rising anyone?

Not to mention Dead Rising or Resident Evil.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
... and on BLEACH, not 2 hours ago, a baddie got multiple fingers severed and they went flying off.

Crazy_Bird

Oct 21, 2009
Zhukov said:
Umm... Metal Gear Solid: Rising anyone?
Kojima said himself that the whole meaning of Rising is to challenge the Japanese stance on dismemberment in games. So that's the whole point.

But in general it is nothing special. Each country has their own major taboo in media especially in games:

In the UK it is violence against animals, in the USA sex and nudity, in Germany it is general violence and gore/blood and in Japan it is dismemberment while it is all of the above in Australia.
I find it incredible interesting to figure out how these taboos came into existence but this is rather complicated.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
The Japanese version of Call of Duty: Black Ops is getting a few tweaks to make it more palatable to the country's rating board. The game has been rated CERO Z, the highest rating the Japanese system allows and the only one enforceable by law. But in order to pass, the game has had to drop the "brutal or grotesque portrayal" of limbs being removed.
Maybe they'll make up for it by adding in some special Rapelay content instead. That stuff's still legal over there, right?

There will be two versions of the game released in Japan, one subtitled and one dubbed
They could just release one version that allows you to chose between the two. Or is that too much common sense?