Graphic Novel (and Comic) recommendation thread

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
I want to start a place where you can talk about a graphic novel or comic you really like, and share it with the rest of us. Who knows, you could find like-minded individuals here!
I'll start:

Transmetropolitan
1605907090283.png
Do you like sci-fi? Do you like investigative journalism? Do you like outrageous humor? This is your poison then! Stick on your cancer sticker and light up a cigar as we travel into this magically sci-fi city of dreams!

Chew
1605907232759.png
A suspense-filled mystery spanning continents and timelines, where the major players must face off against each other with the power of... FOOD. Who can stop the madman terrorist that can carve a rocket-launcher out of chocolate? Our protagonist, officer Chew, has a special power - whenever he takes a bite out of food, he will know everything about it - where it came from, how it was prepared, and who prepared it. It's also a handy tool for an investigator, if he has the stomach for it!

Reactions: gorfias

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Girl Genius - Mad super science set an a victorian type world with great characters and frequent cluster fucks caused by said super science. One of the cool things about it is that you can read it free on the website. I just collect the hardback books.
https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

That's really the only graphic novel I am currently collecting, although I am planning on getting Stand Still Stay Silent when the 3rd volume has a general world wide release.
Stand Still Stay Silent - This is one that I feel is best to go into knowing as little as possible so I'm just going to link the site and this image.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Alan Moore is something of a freak talent. With 100s of books being published monthly, how on earth did he win the Eagle Award and even a Hugo so often? So much competition. And yet, he is magic.
They have started making collection volumes so you can check out his Miracle Man. One of my all time top 10 comic book properties.

1605925742763.png

His V for Vendetta series is among my favorites as well.
Watchmen, of course.
I was initially upset by Killing Joke but it lends itself to so much analysis. Great.
He did a few Superman books. Loved "For the Man Who Has Everything". Spectacular.

1605926603131.png

Last edited:

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
JMS, J. Michael Straczynski did a few limited runs back in the 90s/'00s under his Top Cow Comic label that I absolutely love. I know he went on to do some more mainstream writing runs on titles like Spiderman and the like, but these 2 limited runs are some of my favorites of all time.

Midnight Nation, and Rising Stars.

Midnight Nation is a fascinating little short run, telling the story of a cop that gets pulled into supernatural events, and how he tries to navigate them. It's a religious based (very loosely) story, which I find interesting because JMS is an atheist. So it's very enjoyable for me to see the story through his lens, as he uses a lot of the common tropes. But really, it's not hugely religious, even though the wikipedia page opens with calling it that. I'm an atheist, it's written by an atheist, and it's one of my favorites, if that gives you any litmus test on things.

Rising Stars. One of the earlier examples of a "real" take on what a world with superheroes might look like, worts and all. I don't know if you could call it a deconstruction? But it definitely liberally applies the "random slice of humanity given powers" trope, and gives you a wide range of personalities that end up with these abilities, and how it shapes their lives and the world around them.

I know Rising Stars had several spinoffs from the core series, but I never really read those, so I can't comment on their quality. The core story though, is great.

Both of these are limited runs, that actually have a finality to their narrative, which is one reason I love them so much. JMS has a story in mind, and tells it. It's not dragged on to milk more sales each month. It came to do what it did, and did it well.

If you haven't read them, I'd check them out, well worth your time.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
CA1BA513-7CFA-4E87-9407-71975F1D8FF0.jpeg
Seven Little Sons of the Dragon by Ryoko Kui

A fantastic anthology with a wide variety of stories. Comedies, revenge plots, love stories, bittersweet and sappy, it's got it all

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
What would you get if you mixed Berserk with Legend of Zelda?

Well, that's an overly specific question you got there, thankfully, there's this thing called Ubel Blatt that perfectly fits that description!

Without much for spoilers, this is a dark fantasy tale of revenge, it has epic fights, lovable and inspiring characters, one of the most interesting protagonists with a really intricate backstory and someone gets raped by a horse in the first chapter, so there's something for everyone.

I had started this series years back and stopped at vol 6 when it got to a really big conclusion, since I decided that I wanted to marathon it because it was getting so good that I wouldn't be able to handle it if I had to stop in the middle of an event as big as the one I just finished reading. And then years passed and I was into other stuff but then I remembered that I heard it had ended sometime 2 years ago and now I got back to it. I started it from the start and it's just as riveting on the second pass through, it made me even tear up twice, super powerful emotion. Just reached the point I had before so now I'm gonna go into uncharted territory.

If you ever wanted to read a story about a badass samurai-like Link with a demonic tint to his powers righteously killing hordes of assholes and boning chicks, this is the manga for you.

Screenshot_2020-12-17 03_99912_1150_1650 webp (WEBP Image, 1150 × 1650 pixels).jpgScreenshot_2020-12-17 09_254640_2048_1469 webp (WEBP Image, 2048 × 1469 pixels) — Scaled (42%).png

Last edited:

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
My dad usually sends me books on my birthday he thinks are really well written and or have art for me to study. This recent birthday he sent me this collection of wonder woman books. This series is 6 books and it's a single encapsulated story. Basically in this world the greek patheon exists and Zeus has disappeared. The gods are fighting over who would take the throne and wonder woman ends up trying to protect this woman who might have his baby from being killed by the other gods while finding out her true history and relation to the gods. It's a really good book series. I loved it, wish they'd been able to do more, but the story has closure, it's not like a serial thing. Really recommend it to folks who like mythology, stuff like Neil Gaiman and Constantine books.

If you're looking for the set it's Wonder Woman Vol.1-6 with Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chang

*age warning on this one definitely not for kids, its pretty bloody.*

81C1-wdIbyL.jpg