Greatest band of the 20th century

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
HonorableChairman said:
AgentNein said:
Sort of on the defensive right off the band aren't you? To be fair, the question is "bands" and you mostly listed solo acts. Secondly as much as I respect the for runners to rock and roll music, I really love rock and roll music. I love jazz, I love blues, I love oldschool hillbilly/country, all of which contributed to rock and roll as a genre....but I REALLY love rock and roll music. And in the end, everyone's pick is going to be subjective.

I personally would've picked Chuck Berry or Bob Dylan if the question was "favorite band and/or musician/singer/songwriter". The one guy basically solidified what we know of as rock and roll and the other completely revolutionized folk.

But with respect to the thread, I'll go with The Beatles. As a band, their influence is far and wide, and few bands have been so prolific or consistently genius in their output.
I do admit that lumping together bands and solo acts is a bad habit of mine.

It's just I find it strange that basically all of the purported best bands of the 20th century are from the second half.
I get where you're coming from, but really we have to consider where most of these folks are coming from, and that's a handful of teenagers to (maybe) thirty somethings. I'd expect most picks to be from the last fifty years. Hell, that's optimistic. Pessimistic would be from the last twenty. Icky idea I know.

But yeah, with that said I do think a lot of folks would do well to look back on some of the classic stuff. Another fantastic musician that's bullying for my top spot: Woody Guthrie. Even ignoring his fantastic music, "This Machine Kills Fascists" is probably the most bad ass thing you could possibly have written on your guitar.

Toaster Hunter

Jun 10, 2009
Led Zepplin or the Rolling Stones

Why not the Beatles? Because they are so good they are beyond comparison with other bands.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Poyer said:
ah, another thread that will ultimately accomplish nothing...
Like many before it.
are.you.the.god.its.me.vader said:
Winner here.

But my personal preference would be Queen and for some reason, Tenacious D.
Do not ask why or judge.

Beartrucci

Jun 19, 2009
As a pretty big Death Metal fan, I'm going to have to say Death. I'm surprised no one has mentioned them yet.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
farmerboy219 said:
I was having this discussion with a friend not long ago, I said queen becuause I think they did amazing live shows and made some incredible songs. But my friend said The Beatles because they were more famous in his eye's and help revolutionize music of the day etc.

So what do you think was the best band (or musical preformer) and why, of course you don't have to choose The Beatles or queen (hence why there is no poll).
Lolita Storm, obviously.

Nobody released better music between 1900-2000.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Frank Sinatra dammit.

And if you try to say "But he wasn't part of a band", then I shall retort with "What do you call Ocean's Eleven then!?". It's not a music band, but it is a band with Frank Sinatra. That's why he wins!