Greatest TV show ever?

lokialex

Oct 20, 2010
Animated: Pokemon (at least the first 2 seasons)

Comedy: Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Drama: Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Yes, I love Buffy The Vampire Slayer more than anything, except maybe my mother.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Drama: Don't make me choose between The West Wing (Aaron Sorkin only), Deadwood and The Wire, just don't.

Animated: Danger Mouse, maybe the Ralph Bakshi revival of the Adventures of Mighty Mouse.

Comedy: The Larry Sanders Show, Hey Now!

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
Comedy: Better Off Ted
Too bad the show got canceled.
SarBni said:
Of the three, Chuck is by far my favorite show of all time, often underrated, need to keep my season 5 hopes alive...
Yes! A Chuck fan! Too bad its probably gonna end. Maybe the awesomeness of the Casey-Morgan team up will be enough to save the show.

Animated: Archer
Comedy: Chuck or Modern Family
Drama: Firefly

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
Gudrests said:
Imat said:
Animated: Excel Saga
Comedy: Arrested Development
Drama: Doctor Who
can someone pleese explain who this "Dr.Who" show is...I know i dont watch T.V all that often but I have no idea where to watch it. Can I get this online?

Animated: Gurren Laggen
Comedy: Futerama
Drama:...im gonna hae to go with...bones...no..NCIS!!!
BBC in the UK and BBC America for Americans. You could try Hulu or other legal distribution sites, see if BBC has allowed for distribution online, if you don't have the tv options.

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
Swollen Goat said:
Animated: Animaniacs
Comedy: Better Off Ted
Drama: House
All great shows...Why did BoT get cancelled? Why couldn't people have started watching it BEFORE it went off the air?

Meilow

Dec 5, 2009
Animated: Pokemans. The Oooooold ones. Where I'd wake up at 5a.m. just to see if Ash would catch a decent Pokemon, other than Caterpie.

Comedy: 3's Company

Drama: Firefly

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Animated: huh, tough one. Gonna say "Gargoyles" just because it was amazing, and a lot less popular than all the other ones I see people choosing.

Comedy: Yea, Arrested Development. Nothing else comes close.

Drama: Eh, another very tough one, but I have to go with The Shield. God that show was amazing.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
Animated: Batman The animated Series, so good now that im older and can appreciate it

Comedy: Seinfeld, no doubt about that.

Drama: CSI NY, its my fav

EDIT: Dexter is my fav drama, that show is so crazy, but awesome.

Akira Pilot

Jul 9, 2008
Animated: Neon Genesis Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop (Tie)

Each need no explanation...

Comedy: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Extras, or The office UK. Arrested Decvelopment gets a mention. (Tie)

Curb Your Enthusiasm has a hint of Graucho Marx, and old 1930's comedies in it. It is also well improvised and acted.
Extras and Office UK are subtle as hell, naturalistic, yet are fictitiously acceptable enough for certain situations to have certain comedic effects. Plus both are made by Ricky Gervais. Arrested development, well it is a classic all on its own. The situations, continuity errors made on purpose, the subtlety that may even go past the office, the vast amount of wordplay and heavy use of jargon make this comedy good.

Drama: The Sopranos, The Wire (Tie).

The Wire takes heavily from the Greek tragedies and keeps the reader in suspense. Plus, it has a deep message, so deep in fact that there are 5 of them: a theme for each season which explores a different sociopolitical aspect of the American dystopia. They are the drug trade/ police efforts against it; the docks/ the corruption of american working class; government, bureaucracy/ reformation; schools/ theme of miseducation of innercity children at the expense of the game, news/ exposure to city-wide events. No show has ever transformed TV like the Wire.

The Sopranos is considered to be literature in many academic circles. Its use of reference and allusion to the Godfather films, Goodfellas and Italian filmmakers knows know bounds. Second of all, The Sopranos used cinematic techniques that have not been used in TV before and its eclectic use of music gives it a strange and vibrant feel. The show is noted for it's feature-film quality and it's brilliant use of lighting (resembling da Vinci's chiaoscuro technique) to give the show a morally enthralling tale. Written in the model of Shakespeare and Cervantes, the Sopranos, along with The Wire, had set the standard of TV for many years to come.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Animated: Batman: The Animated Series

Comedy: The IT Crowd / The Simpsons (pre-season 12 or so)

Drama: Law and fucking Order

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Animated: X-men: Evolution

Comedy: Monty Python's Flying Circus

Drama: Sanctuary

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
Animated: Xiaolin Showdown

Comedy: Family Guy

Drama: Dexter I guess. I dunno, I don't really watch drama, so that's the closest I can get.

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
I can never just choose a single winner in a broad catagory. (Thank goodness you didn't just ask for the singular "of all time"...)

Animated:
(Domestic) Avatar: The Last Airbender
(Foreign) Samurai Champloo

Avatar: The Last Airbender was jaw-dropping to me after I started realizing that the characters were actually evolving through the course of the show. Most shows of the type will have the players gain in power and technique, but not so much on an emotional and mature level.

Samurai Champloo is simply Samurai Champloo... If you like anime swordplay, you have to watch this one.

Comedy:
(Classic) M*A*S*H
(Juvenile) Greek
(Intellectual) Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

M*A*S*H was playing in the background for years of my childhood. I identify so much with Radar that it's almost embarassing.

Greek has been a weekly staple for my wife and I, that I felt wrong to pass it up... Top-notch comedic actors working with writing that borrows it's timing from my third choice.

Studio 60's cancellation was heartbreaking to say the least... not that it wasn't expected, what with the political slant of the subject matter. The only negative is having to pause and rewind any time someone coughs, passes in front of the screen, or any other distraction turns your attention away from the screen for more than 7 seconds. (Seriously, you'll miss at least 4 lines, from 3 different characters in that amount of time.)

Drama:
(Network) Bones
(Cable) Dexter
(Dead & Buried Before Its Time) Rome & Deadwood

I've been watching Bones straight through on Netflix, so may be a bit skewed, but the ensemble is great, the episodic content hasn't grown completely formulaic, and I'm worried about having to wait, once I catch up to the current season.

I'll admit that I'm behind a couple seasons of Dexter, but it immediately popped into my head the second I thought about the question for more than a minute. Michael C. Hall drives home the title role and it kinda creeps me out a little how easily I'm swayed toward rooting for a serial killer each episode.

The last two are more about 'the ones that got away' than anything else: not new enough to remain in the collective consciousness; not quite enough longevity to generally be considered in the running. Writing, acting, and production quality were all stellar, but then so was the production cost... hence the abrupt end of both series.

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
Animated: I don't really watch a lot of animated shows anymore, I really should though...

Comedy: Corner Gas. My favorite BY FAR.

Drama: Law and Order: SVU.

Oh yeah.