Greek triple jumper expelled from Olympics for racist Tweet that wasn't actually racist.

StAUG

Aug 10, 2008
The long:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/london-olympics/greek-jumper-kicked-out-for-racism/story-fndpu6dv-1226435261881

The short:

"The 23-year-old Papachristou had written that "with so many Africans in Greece, at least the mosquitoes of West Nile will eat homemade food". Although she subsequently deleted the message after a huge public backlash, the Hellenic Olympic Committee decided to drop her from the squad for London."

Let me get this straight... she said something to the equivalent of "These mosquitoes are from Africa, so are African Olympians. Marginal irony, lol", and was then kicked off a competition she's spent much of her life preparing for. Do you read this and think it's a terrible decision that panders to political correctness and general idiocy? I sure as hell do :(

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Wolverine18 said:
That's right on the line. While it isn't using lots of naughty words, it feels like it was probably racially motivated. It certainly qualifies at stupid. I'm not sure if it should qualify for ejection from the games.
I think that's how I feel about it. The OP reads it as pointing out irony, I read it as "Look at all these Africans, they should feel right at home with these diseased insects." It was... unnecessary at best. And like you I don't know if she should have been expelled from the games, but it's up to Greece who they want to represent them. It would probably be easier for them in the end just to wash their hands of the situation and pick one of the very excited runner-ups instead.

Silverslith

Sep 13, 2011
Wolverine18 said:
That's right on the line. While it isn't using lots of naughty words, it feels like it was probably racially motivated. It certainly qualifies at stupid. I'm not sure if it should qualify for ejection from the games.

Athletes need to be above squeaky clean to be representing their countries. Heck, they have been kicked because their doctor recommended the wrong decongestant.

I suppose if Greece thought she wasn't appropriate to represent them anymore that's all that matters.
Pretty much this.

An Olympian athlete is representing the best of the best for their country. If Greece hadn't acted quickly, word would have spread like wildfire over the comment and it would have exploded into a much uglier scene.

While worse things have happened, it was still inappropriate with more than moderate racial tones. Add to it being posted online. She crossed a line that put her country in a very awkward position, so they obviously decided to deal with it quickly and fully rather than wade through a sea of contention over keeping her.

StAUG

Aug 10, 2008
If it were up to you, would you have booted her from the Olympic team for this? This girl has likely put in years of work to be at the point she's at, and said something that isn't really racist at all. If the Olympics came around and London was (inexplicably) full of kangaroos and someone went "hey, Australians will feel at home this Olypmics, haw haw!" would you call it racist? Hardly.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Yeah, not a great thing to tweet about. Possibly, though, it's soemthing you have to be Greek to appreciate, could be something that relies on knowledge on the Greek language or culture to be really effective.

OTOH, I suspect thatthis particular athlete wasn't likely to win much, otherwise they'd have managed to overlook it.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
If it was me or you on the street and someone said that i would be mildly offended and brush it off and wander on going about my busienss.

The difference? she is in the public eye.

She cannot be making racially incensitive jokes on a world stage (people should try and avoid doing this anyway) when everyones eyes are on you, as much as it sucks you have to behave yourself when you are representing your country and being the best of what ever it is you do that your country can offer.

She didn't respect the position she was in and is now reaping what she has sown, i feel no sympathy for her.

StAUG

Aug 10, 2008
Rastien said:
If it was me or you on the street and someone said that i would be mildly offended and brush it off and wander on going about my busienss.

She cannot be making racially incensitive jokes on a world stage (people should try and avoid doing this anyway) when everyones eyes are on you, as much as it sucks you have to behave yourself when you are representing your country and being the best of what ever it is you do that your country can offer.

She didn't respect the position she was in and is now reaping what she has sown, i feel no sympathy for her.
I still don't get how it's racist, or "racally insensitive", in the first place.
"You're from country x. So is this mosquito. If it bites you, it's eating home-grown food. Ho ho ho." I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but you can explain to me how you find this to be racist?

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
StAUG said:
Rastien said:

I still don't get how it's racist, or "racally insensitive", in the first place.
"You're from country x. So is this mosquito. If it bites you, it's eating home-grown food. Ho ho ho." I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but you can explain to me how you find this to be racist?
"With so many africans in greece"

This is a dig at immigrants and people from africa living in greece, using the olympics as a "subtle" rouse.

Greece will of course react harshly to this, with their economy in the shitter migrant workers are going to be very useful to the economy. Making them feel un welcome by having someone represent your country making off the cuff racially incesensitive remarks cannot happen.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Isn't the West Nile part an actual reference to the virus?

StAUG said:
"You're from country x. So is this mosquito. If it bites you, it's eating home-grown food. Ho ho ho."
This isn't really about the people and insect both being from the same region but rather stating that it's probably good the Africans in Greece will get infected by the potentially lethal West Nile virus. It probably wasn't her intent to paint it as such but the reality is that these athletes need to be beyond reproach especially in the days leading up to the Olympics.

It was a fair decision, in my opinion. Most people wouldn't want to expel her from the Olympics but then again, most people aren't pressured by their government to ensure their country's image is untarnished during this international event. It's all politics, it's all part of the game.

StAUG

Aug 10, 2008
Rastien said:

This is a dig at immigrants and people from africa living in greece, using the olympics as a "subtle" rouse.
Hmmm. Hadn't thought of it like that. Is there really a lot of immigrants in Greece? I'm on the other side of the world and wouldn't know either way.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
StAUG said:
Rastien said:

Hmmm. Hadn't thought of it like that. Is there really a lot of immigrants in Greece? I'm on the other side of the world and wouldn't know either way.
There are immigrants in every country and biggots/racists tend not to like them :) just the way it is.

Doesn't matter if there is alot of immigrants or very few, the olympics are politicaly fueled and the last thing your countrys goverment wants is for you to make them look bad.

Goofguy said:
Isn't the West Nile part an actual reference to the virus?

StAUG said:
"You're from country x. So is this mosquito. If it bites you, it's eating home-grown food. Ho ho ho."
This isn't about the people and insect both being from the same region but rather stating that it's good the Africans in Greece will get infected by the potentially lethal West Nile virus. It probably wasn't her intent to paint it as such but the reality is that these athletes need to be beyond reproach especially in the days leading up to the Olympics.

It was a fair decision, in my opinion. Most people wouldn't want to expel her from the Olympics but then again, most people aren't pressured by their government to ensure their country's image is untarnished during this international event. It's all politics, it's all part of the game.
I wasn't sure about the virus refrence but something was knocking around in my head about the 2cnd part of her statement being out of line but i couldn't put my finger on it. Cheers bro.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read on the beeb that she had been reported to be a supporter of Golden Dawn in the past?

Here's the article

I can sort of understand not wanting her to represent the country. I wouldn't want a BNP or EDL supporter representing the UK.

StAUG

Aug 10, 2008
Lethos said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read on the beeb that she had been reported to be a supporter of Golden Dawn in the past?

Here's the article

I can sort of understand not wanting her to represent the country. I wouldn't want a BNP or EDL supporter representing the UK.
This I hadn't seen. On second thought, to hell with her. Oh well.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
I wouldn't want to be represented by someone who tweeted that. I think it's perfectly acceptable that she's been kicked from the team.

Two of the Aussie Olympians have completely sworn off of social media for the duration of the games and I think it's a good policy.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
StAUG said:
Lethos said:

Here's the article

This I hadn't seen. On second thought, to hell with her. Oh well.
Somebody's view changed on something due to looking at evidence? ON THE INTERNET?
Thank you for actually having some common sense and not blindly defending your original point to the grave, we need more like you here good sir/madam.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
StBishop said:
I wouldn't want to be represented by someone who tweeted that. I think it's perfectly acceptable that she's been kicked from the team.

Two of the Aussie Olympians have completely sworn off of social media for the duration of the games and I think it's a good policy.
Social media: russian roulette for celebrities.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
LetalisK said:
StBishop said:

Social media: russian roulette for celebrities.
I'm a nobody, with secure (as is reasonable) facebook settings and about 5 twitter followers (mostly my family) and I still re-read everything I post.

Hell even on here, I like to think I'm pretty careful with what I say. I mean, if you google my name, this site is on the 3rd page or something. Some employers will actually go up to the 10th page for every short listed applicant.

I really think some people need to have a person who physically writes their tweets for them so that they don't accidentally post stupid shit, and then they'd have deniability.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
She was representing her country and she should?ve known the consequences of tweeting something that could be taken as racially insensitive, so she got what she deserved.