Green Man Gaming Hosts Enticing "666 Sale"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Desert Punk said:
It seems that the sight goes down whenever they refresh the games that are on sale.

Whenever the website goes down, it comes back up a few minutes later with 6 new games.
It was down for more than a few minutes earlier, and well after the deals went up.

Actually, it's been a couple of times now, and I'm not exactly sitting there full-time. I had a nice, four-hour nap at some point.

Yearlongjester

Feb 14, 2010
Such a shame, by the time I got to the site it was down, and I couldn't get Borderlands. I'll keep an eye out for anything else good on GMG, if nothing else this sale caught my attention.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
I love GMG, that slap Steam all around the park. GMG often goes down when they've got devilishly good deal so you got to keep an eye on the site waiting for the new dealsand get in early.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
I thought this looked awesome, so I checked it out. Then I read that GMG uses SecuROM as DRM for everything, which makes it a total non-starter for me. Booo! :(

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Lawyer105 said:
I thought this looked awesome, so I checked it out. Then I read that GMG uses SecuROM as DRM for everything, which makes it a total non-starter for me. Booo! :(
It's not everything, because some titles use Steamworks. I think they just use whatever DRM is provided by the publisher. Besides, they let you trade in games you don't want anymore for store credit. That's got to be worth something.

Edit: Oh, also, there's SecuROM, and there's SecuROM. In it's basic configuration it's my least-hated form of DRM, since it's nothing but a disc check and some easily circumvented measures to make it harder to make copies of the disc. They tried a version around 2008 that had limited install numbers, but it was such a customer service nightmare that nobody uses those features anymore. To give an idea of how old and ubiquitous basic SecuROM is, Morrowind used it, that came out in 2002, and it wasn't a new system even then.

Lawyer105

Apr 15, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Lawyer105 said:
It's not everything, because some titles use Steamworks. I think they just use whatever DRM is provided by the publisher. Besides, they let you trade in games you don't want anymore for store credit. That's got to be worth something.

Edit: Oh, also, there's SecuROM, and there's SecuROM. In it's basic configuration it's my least-hated form of DRM, since it's nothing but a disc check and some easily circumvented measures to make it harder to make copies of the disc. They tried a version around 2008 that had limited install numbers, but it was such a customer service nightmare that nobody uses those features anymore. To give an idea of how old and ubiquitous basic SecuROM is, Morrowind used it, that came out in 2002, and it wasn't a new system even then.
Sweet. Thanks for that. I think I'll have to go back for another look then! :)

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Lawyer105 said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Lawyer105 said:

Sweet. Thanks for that. I think I'll have to go back for another look then! :)
No problem. One thing, it probably goes without saying, but you can't trade in the games that activate through Steam. That's because of how Valve set up their DRM though, not because of Greenman Gaming cheaping out or something.