Greenskins came back to play in new DLC for Total War: Warhammer 2.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
I haven't played Total Warhammer II in quite some time. Might be time to get back into it, with my favourite race and all.
As cool as Grom is though, I'm just hyped to repeat my original Total Warhammer I campaign and krump some gitz with Grimgor. Guy's a beast.

Side note, I hope they keep making every DLC trailer a movie reference. I love spotting them.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Still a bit disappointed Greenskin replenishment rate isn't higher. It's great that it's been buffed and with a hero that can boost it, but lorewise, they're supposed to be like a frickin' rash and currently, only AI buffs do that instead of faction mechanics. Still, the redone Waaagh's look interesting and actually do something in battle now, while the campaign Waaagh is not such a ball-ache to manage without accidentally tanking your diplomatic reliability. Better yet, the randomness of Greenskin mentality plays into the Waaagh rewards and building the gauge is literally win-win no matter what happens (catastrophic defeat notwithstanding, of course). Scrap is kinda interesting, but it seems a tad unintuitive when it comes to upgrading units since you can't replace the upgrade, but we'll have to see. Pretty pumped to see the new units in action, Waaagh specific ones and otherwise (seen the Lava Arachnarok, and it was suitably spicy(!)), particularly the Rogue Idol.

And the best thing? The Greenskin Tech Tree is called 'Da Big Thinkin'.

Despite all that, though, I'm more of an HE player, so I'm curious as to what the new race-wide units are like, mainly the Archmage, see what 60 Inf traits there are (be hilarious if there was 'super-Knowledgeable', however unlikely it is) etc., and the Silverin Guard (that is, give me a reason to take something other than Sisters of Avelorn, Lothern Seaguard w/Shields and maybe Phoenix Guard if I'm feeling fancy), got mixed feelings about the Mistwalkers as it's weird to have so many faction specific units not available race-wide unless they're a unit equivalent of Wulfhart's posse, but I don't think so (perhaps something only specifically Eltharion can recruit and a non-transferable unit?). Eh... Irrespective of that, now the possibility of an Lion memestack is pretty damn real! It might even be good(!) >.> In any event, props to the poor buggers who plait the lions' beards(!) (Now for Kislev & Bear Cavalry, this is so going to happen(!)) That said, a little surprised Imrik is starting in the Dragon Isles of all places, though whether this is for one map or both, don't know yet (along with whether he has any particular mechanics, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't, as I don't think he has any real reason to aside from being a bit on the mercenary side. Eltharion's faction mechanics look to be pretty interesting and I'm curious to find out whether Athel Tamarha is going to be its own province (single settlement) or part of Yvresse proper (but given its intended upgrades and it being his starting settlement while his army is in the Badlands, I'm leaning towards the former).

Probably the only franchise for which I'm willing to pre-order (after due diligence, of course, and damn near all the WH2 DLC has been on the money).

I'm pretty hyped for it, I suppose.

Reactions: Bernzz

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Oh, forgot to add a whole bunch, but damn, I love this trailer, purely as a spectacle. Nothing to do with gameplay, but the lore and references.

To wit:
An angry elf (never mind a named character like Eltharion) is usually enough to send a regular goblin into a state of catatonia it'd be so scared shitless, but this one is cackling its head off which attests to Grom's charisma.
The night time firelit opening in general fits with Eltharion's characterisation (segueing into a silhouette of Grom was just cool).
The Mad Max aesthetic when the gobbo horde is first seen with flappa Snotling Pump Wagons closest to the camera.
This horde being demonstrably a majority of chariots and Greenskin equivalents thereof reflects Grom's tactical weapon of choice.
The gobbo lying on a Pump Wagon eating a mushroom, clearly high off his rocker.
The Elven city in ruins was awesome to see and the colouring hints at the Yvresse more overtly being 'the Land of Mists'.
Flipping between Yvresse and the Badlands is a contrast so stark it presents two adversaries better than virtually every previous DLC trailer.
The theatricality of the gobbo horde and Grom's formal intro appearance... yeah, I got nothing! XD
[The siege is a bit overdone, but it was a glimpse showcase of all the new units, so I can't really fault it.]

And the music, nothing in particular, but it matched the dynamic and content of the trailer to a tee, IMO.

Edit:

Looks like I was wrong: Athel Tamarha will be a purely interface based hidden settlement in the event the player loses Tor Yvresse, probably with debuffs should that happen(?). Imrik looks like he'll have a unique playstyle if no new mechanics with that spicy starting location and unique buildings. Just a pity that cav sucks on the higher battle difficulties.

Last edited:

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private

DLC is out tomorrow. Eager to try out the reworked Greenskins.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
More interested wheather they also have the changes from the beta a while ag included, especially the drop of supply lines allowing for a multitude of armies with cheap units instead of the few all-elite armies we have seen before.