Grey Goo Gets a Massive, Entirely Free Expansion

PatrickJS

Jun 8, 2015
Grey Goo Gets a Massive, Entirely Free Expansion

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1264/1264928.jpg

Real-time strategy gem, Grey Goo, has just added a new faction and plenty of content in a big, free expansion.

Grey Goo drew the attention of real-time strategy lovers last year. It combines the best elements of old-school classics like Command & Conquer and Starcraft, and builds something new out of those parts. Today, gamers lucky enough to already own Goo can download a massive expansion - entirely free.

Descent of the Shroud introduces a fourth faction to the game's already well-distinguished three. Beyond the Beta, Humans, and Goo factions, you'll be able to play as the Shroud in multiplayer and in a new Shroud-focused campaign.

The Shroud, as expected, play a little differently than the other three races. They are highly adaptable, changing their base structure on the fly, able to take on the shapes of their enemies in order to infiltrate an enemy base. "For king and country," as they say.

[gallery=5584]

My own copy is still downloading as I write this, but I cannot wait to get into this campaign. Have any Escapists gotten into it yet?

Source: Greybox [https://www.greybox.com/greygoo/en/splash/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well thats out of the blue. Considering ive been playing Grey Goo again just a few days ago and saw nothing about this actually happening.

Better go start the download then.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Huh, I was wondering if they were ever going to carry on from that cliffhanger of an ending.
It's weird, I don't recall any content updates before this outside of a mission pack DLC.

I'm just wondering if it will be enough to revive interest and get back their invest, I mean, Starcraft made the expansions paid for a reason, that shit ain't cheap to make, even if it only added like 1 or 2 new MP units at a time.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I'm interested in the game, but the, for me, relatively high price point compared to the mixed reviews are putting me off from the game.
The concept seems nice, but reviews say the game is buggy and doesn't have a lot of content. The second part is kinda fixed with the updated, but the first one isn't mentioned. Gonna wait for a bit and get it if it goes on sales.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Great news; loved the game. Not enough to finish the last campaign, but still a big recommendation to those doubting!!!

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Sweet! I was thinking of finally installing this after I got it during the Holiday steam sale (Had to put it off thanks to Phantom pain and data usage caps) so now I have even more reasons to.

Also, free DLC expansion pack? Somewhere I like to think there's a EA executive sobbing on the floor at the thought of such a thing.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
I'm actually fairly staggered that they can afford to do this. I remember playing it on a free weekend and...well frankly I wasn't that impressed. More to the point based on accounts from other forums I visit the game had more or less been abandoned and the population dropped significantly. The impression all round seemed to have been the game had been sidelined entirely. This really came out of nowhere. O_O

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Huh, the Shroud. An empty void of space bent on the annihilation of all life in the galaxy whose army composition is based on imitating the units of the other three factions.

...LotV anyone? ;)

Edit: On another note, looking at the wallpaper for the Shroud...anyone else getting a scrin vibe? It's hazy as to whether the scrin's overall design owes more to Westwood or EA (given that Westwood had their own ideas for the scrin initially before they folded), but, well, go figure.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
I'm interested in the game, but the, for me, relatively high price point compared to the mixed reviews are putting me off from the game.
The concept seems nice, but reviews say the game is buggy and doesn't have a lot of content. The second part is kinda fixed with the updated, but the first one isn't mentioned. Gonna wait for a bit and get it if it goes on sales.
Please explain more about the bugs? I have played all of the first campaign and alot of the human one and I didn't have any crashing, artifacts or whatever and I purchased/played the game on release.

OT: Oo, I was thinking of finishing the human campaign this weekend, can't complain about an extra incentive. One of the few true 'C&C' style games in years.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
RicoADF said:
BiH-Kira said:
Please explain more about the bugs? I have played all of the first campaign and alot of the human one and I didn't have any crashing, artifacts or whatever and I purchased/played the game on release.

OT: Oo, I was thinking of finishing the human campaign this weekend, can't complain about an extra incentive. One of the few true 'C&C' style games in years.
Well I can't point you to any of them because as I said, I don't own it, I read reviews.
Read up the reviews on steam and half of them are calling the game buggy.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
RicoADF said:
BiH-Kira said:

Well I can't point you to any of them because as I said, I don't own it, I read reviews.
Read up the reviews on steam and half of them are calling the game buggy.
I think the game had memory leak issues and/or performance issues for (some) people, I was one of those who had issues with the framerate even though I should easily run it at 60, the main menu for instance ran at like 10-15 fps, and games slowed down pretty quickly once unit counts got up. I believe they fixed it eventually, but I think it was a little too late for people like me who was hoping to play it with friends, but I couldn't recommend it with it's then problems.