Griefing - Is it OK?

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I think that griefing is fine if all the people who want to do it play on the same servers and are not allowed to play on normal servers.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
So if someone was having a go at me because they think I wasn't useful in a raid in WOW, that is called griefing? Thats happened to me plenty of times.

Defyant

Apr 6, 2008
If you send in a bunch of wisps and then have some long range support to kill them off, like those archer chicks or whatever, then it's a pretty good tactic. I guess.

On-topic, no. If done as a parody, sure, whatever, but if done with a straight face then it's just.. stupid.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
As a very general rule, griefing is not okay as it's little more that the geek version of tripping a kid with a lunch tray. You can try to justify it by couching it in terms of "It's just a game" but you fail there as well. People play games to have fun and griefers attempt to prevent you FROM having fun. The two are compatible, thus why griefers are so often kicked and banned.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
Griefing as in teamkilling or harrassing your team, is for pathetic egoistic people who doens't give a shit about any1 but themselves, and i hope you get bullied a lot at work or school, cause you deserve it.

If it's an intended part of the game, as in EVE where player pirates and gank squads are part of the game, it's fine. But killing your team in an FPS for the lulz is just plain wrong. Same goes for loudmouths in DotA who intentionally starts feeding the other team when they're mad about notgetting their way. Continiusly ganking a low lvl char in WoW is ok in my oppinion, seeing as it is part of the game, and ppl should've joined a PvE server, and not a PvP

entwinex

Mar 19, 2009
It's funny in small doses, I don't do it myself but I don't get mad about it either ..unless the person in question doesn't know when to stop.

Lukeydoodly

Sep 9, 2008
Nah, I have done it before for lulz, but when it is done against me I hate myself for doing it.

Building teleports on TF2 leading to pits of death or the edge of high buildings is fun.

The Sadist

Dec 28, 2008
FujinAkari said:
Xivilai87 said:
look at world of warcraft, 2 level 80s could PvP. if one dies, they are forced to respawn with reduced health. the winner of the fight could be waiting for the respawn only to strike again. and if he kills the unfortunate player again, he is still getting honor. he could sit there for hours and keep doing it if he really wanted to.
Except, of course, that after the third kill he stops gaining honor for it.
unless of course... Someone pulls up the whole guild and launch an attack on that other guy

GenHellspawn

Jan 1, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
No, griefing is just mean to people who want to play games for fun without stress.
That's the whole point. People who can't roll with it and get mad are what fuels the griefing.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
You are ruining somewone elses game experience and wasting thier time. Since not everyone has an abundance of time to invest in a game and could be in for a single match before having to take care of real life. This is of course directed towards people who do this to random people. If you set up a private game or tell them in the lobby the plan well go nuts.

There really needs to be some type of policing for online games.

DancingMonkey

Mar 20, 2009
I had to create an account to reply to the thread.

Griefing, by definition, is acting in a manner intended to cause grief to others who are pursuing a goal. 'Nuff said.

I have a friend who is a semiprofessional griefer in second life. He is a professional musician. He plays jazz trumpet and is pretty good. He has a degree in music; he has played some pretty big gigs. He takes an inordinate amount of delight in ruining second life virtual performances by garage musicians. He throws a script which creates a large invisible box around the performer, making him lose connection with the crowd. While the performer is confused and asking where all the avatars in the crowd simultaneously disappeared to, he then creates a thousand virtual boxes, with disturbing images on all 6 sides, which generate blasting trumpet noises. Each person in second life gets a chunk of virtual real estate. These actions make the owner reset his land to get rid of the annoyances my friend created. This usually ends the performance.

He spends time, creating multiple email accounts and registering lots of second life avatars, with the sole intention of causing grief to the performer. If he gets banned with one account, he changes his IP address and hops back on with another account. He usually frustrates the performer into leaving.

Second life isn't much of a game. It?s a glorified chat room. It revolves around people feeling like they are part of a community, expressing themselves, etc. Its home to several groups online, where people act out their fantasies. Some of those fantasies are pretty disturbing to the casual viewer. To the participants, this second life can be very important. They have built their avatar, their reputation and carefully structured an event and invited the world to attend.

My friend?s joy comes from spending an equal amount of time in shattering their fantasy. It comes from being more technically proficient in their virtual world than they are. It comes from the knowledge that he single handedly ruined an event (of questionable value) for dozens or hundreds of willing participants.

Yes, it?s dark and perverted. Its immensely childish and self serving. But no more so than masturbatorily performing your home brewed artistic expression from the comfort of your basement into a $14 computer microphone for a bunch of furry/plushy/otherkin/leather fetishist second life avatars.

I?m really not certain who, in this situation is more disturbed?

BTW. FYIAD.

Kalari

Mar 19, 2009
Definitely not into griefing. Smack talk is one thing I dont mind getting into a round or two and love hearing some of the guys do it at times. But to intentionally harass or mess with players just because thats a no no with me. Griefing in the game I frequent could mean lost of a quest goal or treasure which for some players who have time constraints is frustrating. And those who pull new players into pvp zones just to attack them tend to get up the regular players ire to.

Smack talk is fun Griefing from what I see isnt.

DancingMonkey

Mar 20, 2009
Think about this, if I made one forum reader google; Furry, plushy, otherkin, ect, I just griefed this forum.

I.E. Receiving perverse pleasure from the horrid reactions of an unwilling audience.

MwHAHAHAHAHAaaa
I WIN.

goatse anyone?

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
There's a reason why it is called griefing. Because it gives people grief. How is annoying people to no end ok in any book? "It is funny". No it's not, and even if it is, it is such low grade humor, anyone laughing at it should be ashamed of himself.